Calling all manual transmissions

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
I have successfully converted my Ex into a stick shift and was able to buy all the obscure parts (even that little black box that replaces the PRD123 letters on the instrument panel!) besides 1 single piece.

I have been to 4 or 5 dealerships over a few years trying to find the black plastic upper steering column shroud without the hole for the auto column shifter.

1st, I need a confirmation that they did, in fact, offer a 1999 Explorer Sport in a manual transmission.

What other years would have the same upper shroud? I'm assuming the 4-doors have the same part number as the 2-doors. What about Rangers?

Does anyone have a VIN number for a similiar stock stick-shift Ex???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm almost positive that my manual 99 Ranger would have a similar, or the same upper shroud that you are talking about. It's not driveable right now so if you want me to take it off and take pictures and/or measurements of it, I can probably do that.

Just an idea if nobody else has one. But it's still pretty early in the post.

ok. You don't need to remove it or take any measurements. Is it black? Do you have tilt? A pic might help if you get a chance, or I'll take a pic of my auto version tonight. If it looks the same, then I will just order one, and if it really doesn't fit, I'll be able to return it. Would you email me your VIN #?

Any '95-'01 four door or '95-'03 Sport and what ever Rangers have that same interior with the manual transmission will have the same piece.

Column shroud

Hi Bones DT
I am in UK and have a manual Explorer, imported from Australia.
My vin is 1FMDU34X7V2A12434.
The manual Explorer is a very rare beast in UK as Ford didn't sell any here, so the only ones are imports, I havent heard of of any other so mine may be the only one!.
Good luck.
Alan

Back