camshaft position sensor instalation 1999 4.0 ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

camshaft position sensor instalation 1999 4.0 ohv

smoke8169

Reaction score
City, State
austin
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport 2wd 4.0 OHV
i took my old cmp out of my old engine. what do i need to do to install it on my new one? was i susposed to time it first? and does it matter if the gear turns after it was removed? im a little worried. 1999 4.0 ohv.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sensor only?

Don't remove the drive assembly unless you need to. If you do you will need an alignment tool. Place an alignment mark on the sensor and the drive assembly before removing the sensor. Mark the new sensor in the same place as the old one. Install the sensor making sure the marks align.

i already took the whole thing out to put it in my new motor. i'm stupid. i didnt time my old engine on tdc before i took it out . i need to know what to do to make sure it goes in the new engine correctly. am i screwed. the gear turned a little also when i took it out of the old engine.

yes the whole assembly.

Gonna move this to Under the Hood.

CMP timing

The alignment tool is just a cover that fits over the CMP sensor. It has a big arrow on the top that aligns with the gap in the CMP sensor. Is the CMP sensor still attached to the drive assembly?

Using my Hayne's Repair Manual:

To time the assembly first position the crankshaft so #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke.

Make sure that the oil pump intermediate shaft is aligned in the oil pump correctly before inserting the CMP assembly. The shaft will turn as it is inserted into the camshaft gear.

From the photos it looks like the CMP sensor electrical connector should be almost opposite of the hold down bolt but slightly less clockwise. When all is done, the notch and vane are aligned with the electrical connector and are 60 degrees counterclockwise from the engine centerline from front to aft.

If is ends up in the wrong place then I guess you just have to try again. From the write up it sounds like trying to insert a distributor and get it pointed in the right direction. I have better instructions if you can get your access to the tool.

sorry i passed out yesterday. thanks for the info. i i got a whole new cmp assembly, shaft, sensor, the whole dilly who. on way from ford with my 30% discount on the way. it will be here in a couple of days. so ill hit you up if i need some more help. thanks a bunch.

Back