• Register Today It's free!

Chime / Alarm Location?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in -- Trying to find location for chime/alarm -- It seems to come from instument cluster but when removed I don't see where it is? I'm trying to disable the repetitive chime notifying me of airbag issues. Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for looking in -- Trying to find location for chime/alarm -- It seems to come from instument cluster but when removed I don't see where it is? I'm trying to disable the repetitive chime notifying me of airbag issues. Thx
Don't you already have a thread for this?

I did but never got an answer to this ? The thread went a different direction - so I decided to try again. Thanks.....do you know where to find the chime?

You need a third thread to ask the same question? We already told you how, replace the bulb

Whoa -- didn't realize trying to find some info would bring out the testiness is in some folks. The first thread I posted a week ago on this -- my question of how to disable chime/alarm was never answered.....instead: which I appreciated the help turned into replacing bulbs which was said would not fix the problem and pretensioner diagnostic etc. I would just like to know where the "noise" is!? It seems to be on the instrument panel - but where? Thanks for anyone that can help with that.

On another note -- I've posted 100's of times and never received such an ignorant comment like "post a third time" or someone sending me a link to my own previous post. This forum has helped many people and will continue to do so...but it seems that some members become to think that this is "their" forum and they are too good to be asked "such questions". This is for them: If you don't like to answer a question or you think your time is too valuable, then turn off your computer and go play outside :) .....and make sure to put your big girl pants on.

I dont think anyone wants to get involved with disabling the airbag warning for liability reasons. Your airbags dont work right now, If something happens to you or one of you passengers in a crash do you realize what will happen? Or when you dont fix it, disable the sound, and sell it to the next sucker... That can come back to haunt you. Everyone thats trying to help you fix it is looking out for your best interest.

Thanks -- Good point. This one isn't for sale but previous owner did remove airbag light, I guess in an attempt get rid of noise? I may try and replace pretensioner but in the mean time would like to find source of chime.

posting 3 threads for the same question just adds to the frustration when someone tries to search. I already merged two other 2 threads together to help alleviate this, but you had to start another:(

if you had searched you'd find the chime is part of the GEM module , fiddling with this is not a good idear.

if you had searched you'd find the chime is part of the GEM module , fiddling with this is not a good idear.

:thumbsup:, but putting some tape over the hole to muffle the sound cant hurt.

I've only posted this ? twice -- this second post was just to try and shorten the thread to only finding the chime. Thanks for any help on this one.

Whoa -- didn't realize trying to find some info would bring out the testiness is in some folks. The first thread I posted a week ago on this -- my question of how to disable chime/alarm was never answered.....instead: which I appreciated the help turned into replacing bulbs which was said would not fix the problem and pretensioner diagnostic etc. I would just like to know where the "noise" is!? It seems to be on the instrument panel - but where? Thanks for anyone that can help with that.

On another note -- I've posted 100's of times and never received such an ignorant comment like "post a third time" or someone sending me a link to my own previous post. This forum has helped many people and will continue to do so...but it seems that some members become to think that this is "their" forum and they are too good to be asked "such questions". This is for them: If you don't like to answer a question or you think your time is too valuable, then turn off your computer and go play outside :) .....and make sure to put your big girl pants on.

John,

Amen brother on everything you just said! I guess when you send in the $20 to the forum and get "Elite" status and your name in red, you also get an Enlitist (I own the joint) attitude towards the common folks in the forum. Rather than simply tell you where and how to disable the chime alarm and politely explain to you why it isn't a good idea to disable the chime alarm and that they wouldn't recommend doing it, they give you snotty replies and tell you to change the light bulb instead, none of which answers your original question. If they didn't want to give you the answer to your simple question then they should have not replied to your post in the first place! BTW, I am not referring to all of the "Elite's" in here, just some. Most are decent and give straight, helpful answers to repair questions. Good luck with the chime alarm.

John,

Amen brother on everything you just said! I guess when you send in the $20 to the forum and get "Elite" status and your name in red, you also get an Enlitist (I own the joint) attitude towards the common folks in the forum. Rather than simply tell you where and how to disable the chime alarm and politely explain to you why it isn't a good idea to disable the chime alarm and that they wouldn't recommend doing it, they give you snotty replies and tell you to change the light bulb instead, none of which answers your original question. If they didn't want to give you the answer to your simple question then they should have not replied to your post in the first place! BTW, I am not referring to all of the "Elite's" in here, just some. Most are decent and give straight, helpful answers to repair questions. Good luck with the chime alarm.

You know how a lot of us get that elite status? By contributing to the community! Not everyone has every answer, and sometimes you just have to figure it out yourself. The good ones here do that, then they post back that information for the benefit of others! If an elite member posted on here asking where something was located and no one could answer, they would find out for themselves and post back to help others...not whine, moan, and start more threads on the same thing. The definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

You know how a lot of us get that elite status? By contributing to the community! Not everyone has every answer, and sometimes you just have to figure it out yourself. The good ones here do that, then they post back that information for the benefit of others! If an elite member posted on here asking where something was located and no one could answer, they would find out for themselves and post back to help others...not whine, moan, and start more threads on the same thing. The definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

First off, the great majority of us non paying members in here do contribute back to the community in here, myself included, so does that make us non paying members "Elite" as well or does the $20 you paid to the forum do that for you? BTW, Does that Elite status you think you have include not saying "thank you" to someone who does respond to your repair questions? I remember not long ago where I gave you some helpful info to your "AC/temp pressure search" and you couldn't even say "hey thanks for that info" back to me. No reply back at all. Even if you already knew about the info I gave you, you should have at least said "thanks for the response" anyhow. I always say "thanks" to anyone that gave me any info to my questions whether I knew about that info or not. Didn't anyone ever teach you simple manners?
Also, being a paid elite member in here doesn't mean the most automotive knowledgable, just means you sent in $20. I know plenty of non paying members in here who know their way around a car or an Explorer more than the paying ones do. You also cannot expect everyone that comes into to this forum to know their way around the forum and how to use it's search features or functions. Some of you Elite members take it for granted that they should know these things, so you "bark orders" at them rather than politely explaining to them how to use the forum. If you can't take the time to explain things to someone in polite way, then don't respond to their posts if all you are going to do is ***** and whine at them for doing something you don't like with their posts. It isn't the job or right of an Elite, paying member to give snotty replies to people in search of a simple answer to their automotive questions simply because it might be a multiple post or a something they don't want that person to do to their vehicle. The names in Black are here to police the forum, not the names in Red! Here is an old saying for you, if you don't have anything good to say to someone, then say nothing at all!

First off, the great majority of us non paying members in here do contribute back to the community in here, myself included, so does that make us non paying members "Elite" as well or does the $20 you paid to the forum do that for you? BTW, Does that Elite status you think you have include not saying "thank you" to someone who does respond to your repair questions? I remember not long ago where I gave you some helpful info to your "AC/temp pressure search" and you couldn't even say "hey thanks for that info" back to me. No reply back at all. Even if you already knew about the info I gave you, you should have at least said "thanks for the response" anyhow. I always say "thanks" to anyone that gave me any info to my questions whether I knew about that info or not. Didn't anyone ever teach you simple manners?
Also, being a paid elite member in here doesn't mean the most automotive knowledgable, just means you sent in $20. I know plenty of non paying members in here who know their way around a car or an Explorer more than the paying ones do. You also cannot expect everyone that comes into to this forum to know their way around the forum and how to use it's search features or functions. Some of you Elite members take it for granted that they should know these things, so you "bark orders" at them rather than politely explaining to them how to use the forum. If you can't take the time to explain things to someone in polite way, then don't respond to their posts if all you are going to do is ***** and whine at them for doing something you don't like with their posts. It isn't the job or right of an Elite, paying member to give snotty replies to people in search of a simple answer to their automotive questions simply because it might be a multiple post or a something they don't want that person to do to their vehicle. The names in Black are here to police the forum, not the names in Red! Here is an old saying for you, if you don't have anything good to say to someone, then say nothing at all!

soap_box.gif

What does anything you posted in here have to do with his airbag chime?

This is getting well off the beaten path, but I will give one last response.

I have never paid any money for my status here, or any forum for that matter. You completely ignored my statement to that regard as to how many of us receive elite status and continue with your diatribe. Actually give back to the community instead of giving poor information or ranting and you might know what that is like.

As for your posting in my thread, like so many others, it was of zero help and zero consequence to the topic. You gave generalized, rule of thumb information when I had a very specific request for very specific charts. If you ask me what time it is and I tell you how to make a watch, I do not suspect you would say thank you either.

For whatever reason you think that elite status means something special. I for one rarely ever look at the screen names or status of those posting, and frankly do not care. You obviously have issues with status and that you have not been coddled enough here...to which I most certainly cannot help you, and I doubt anyone here can.

What does anything you posted in here have to do with his airbag chime?

Had you read the first time postings of the air bag chime then you would know. Maybe go back and read up on it and you'll be up to speed.

This is getting well off the beaten path, but I will give one last response.

You completely ignored my statement to that regard as to how many of us receive elite status and continue with your diatribe. Actually give back to the community instead of giving poor information or ranting and you might know what that is like.

As for your posting in my thread, like so many others, it was of zero help and zero consequence to the topic. You gave generalized, rule of thumb information when I had a very specific request for very specific charts. If you ask me what time it is and I tell you how to make a watch, I do not suspect you would say thank you either.

For whatever reason you think that elite status means something special. I for one rarely ever look at the screen names or status of those posting, and frankly do not care. You obviously have issues with status and that you have not been coddled enough here...to which I most certainly cannot help you, and I doubt anyone here can.

You are right, the OP's topic went off the path when a few in here gave him snotty, incorrect replies to his question. But I guess you over looked that! No surprise to me. I also asked you directly a question regarding the location of the air bag chime and if it could be removed and you failed to give me anykind of a response. I guess you pick and choose who you offer up help to in here. I also answered your comment on why you feel you have Elite status in here. Paying a $20 fee in here is the only way I know of to become an Elite member and it is advertised in here as so. Other than that, it means absolutely nothing to me. How you became an Elite member without paying, I would have no way to know that would I? So I was right in assuming you paid for that status. You give no more help or look things up for yourself when you don't get any replies to your repair searches than anyone else does. Some people are just more knowledgable than others and some need the help. BTW, I give you credit for helping people in here. I see your name on the board a lot, but in this case on the air bag question, this isn't helping the Op'er.
If you think I ever gave anyone wrongful help in here, it was "never" by intention, and you or anyone else has the right to correct me on an automotive help question I answered wrong. I don't have a problem with that. I also don't recall you calling me out for wrongful repair advice I have given. What you don't have the right to do in here is whine about someone posting a question more than once or the way they post up a message. It's not for you and anyone else to say. There is also a way to speak to people in here whose post you don't agree with, and snotty remarks and condescending tones isn't the right way to go about it. If you are going to give attitude in here, you are going to get it in return. Hence "JohhnyGlenn's" reply to those who complained about his post.
On the AC question you posted a while back, I gave you specific info on what affects AC pressures, which was "humidty" besides outside air temp. So an air temp /pressure chart will be off, because humidty wasn't factured into the chart. So what I told you about the humidty was true and something to consider even if you ever got the chart you were looking for. I also didn't know how much knowledge you had with refrigeration systems when I offered up the info. That is why I offered it up to you. So in your book, I am wrong for doing that? Whether it helped you or not isn't what counts in here, it is the fact someone took the time to read your post and give you some relevant advice or info on your search. I would always thank anyone who gave me some kind of reasonable or helpful tips as long as it wasn't a jackass response like your analogy with the time and watch above. I guess when "you" want "specifc" info on something, no one should reply unless it is that "exact" info you seek.
I don't think Elite status means anything is here, not at all, just out $20, but it is really funny that the only ones whining about the fact "JohhnyGlenn" posted his message at least twice in here on the air bag chime, was a couple of Elite members who chastised him for it and never offered an answer to his question. As for the coddling comment, it's a joke. Because I called you out for not responding to my AC comment and saying "thanks" for the info? I was making a point to you when you boasted about giving back to the community but I guess a Thanks in return to someone trying to help you, is above your decency level or common courtesy level. Too much effort on your part. If anyone in here needs coddling, it is you who have complained about the posts people put up. You take this $hit way too seriously in here!

honestly the main problem with the chime is that it beeps and shouldn't be removed for safety reasons.

to op: my airbag light is on and only chimes once, for the seatbelt light i would recommend taking the dash apart then restart the car so you can better see/hear the speaker

for the argument between members elite or not, the more it happens the more we lose valuable threads, and possibly members. Arguing leads to deleted threads and members. If you feel like you need to tell someone that they are wrong or you don't like how they do something, send them a PM not put it on a thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had you read the first time postings of the air bag chime then you would know. Maybe go back and read up on it and you'll be up to speed.

Maybe both of these threads should be merged and and all the BS edited out.

The OP got his answer...Its in the GEM. The only way to completely shut it up is to pull the GEM, cut out the chime, and hope that nothing the GEM doesnt have an problems with the chime disconnected.
-or-
To quiet it up some cover the holes in the GEM with tape and hope the GEM doesnt overheat from lack of cooling vents.
-or-
Fix it right.

But this thread has been hijacked, just like his last one, which is why he started another one in the first place.

Back