Class 2 hitch receiver height problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class 2 hitch receiver height problem

mos2kfxd

Reaction score
City, State
central florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer luxury
I can't imagine I'm the only person with this problem My class 2 receiver height is 21", my trailer coupler is 12" high. NOBODY offers a 1 1/4" hitch ball mount with a drop of more than 6 inches. E-trailer rep said 3 inches off level is okay, but that leaves the camper's back end 6-7 inches above the road. I'm not sure I trust that opinion. 1 1/4-to-2 inch adapter would work, but the manufacturer says NOT to use for towing, (also reduces hitch capacity by 50 %, according to manufacturer ), only for accessories like bike racks. It's an A-liner camper, weighing around 1600-1700 lbs. Vehicle towing rated at 3500 lbs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d probably bite the bullet and install a 2” receiver under the factory hitch, replace the factory hitch with a 2” version, or modify the trailer tongue.

I added a 2 inch receiver on my explorer for the same reason. Much more selection of ball mounts and accessories, plus heavier duty construction

I added a 2 inch receiver on my explorer for the same reason. Much more selection of ball mounts and accessories, plus heavier duty construction
i have read the 1 1/4" receiver is welded on. how does the 2' receiver fit? was it a custom fix, or is there a off the shelf solution? thanks

You can buy a standard 2 inch receiver that bolts into the frame, and sits below the factory hitch.

Exactly what I did, 2005-2010 factory hitches are welded on. My new one mounts to the trucks frame holes below the existing hitch.

How heavy is the camper you are towing? It likely maxes out the capacity of the factory 1 1/4 inch hitch anyway (3,500 pounds) regardless of ball height. DISREGARD... I just re read your post, but 1,700 sounds light So I recommend you weigh the trailer once you load it the way you would for a trip, checking the tongue weight on the ball also.

If you zoom in on this picture, you should be able to see the heavy duty hitch below the factory hitch. Also, please admire my home-made contraption so I can Back up to hook up the trailer perfectly straight in one shot! That is an old truck mirror spring clamped to the tailgate window, and the red strap is kept at the exact length to hold the mirror on an angle sobthat when I look in the rearview mirror of my truck, I can see the hitch ball and about 2 feet behind it.

the second, smaller ball Is for a friction sway control device that works wonderfully and was the best $50 I ever spent camping.
EAED2326-3D91-46D3-ADE7-8D82229EF8CC.png

Thanks everyone. Took your advice & spent a good bit of time looking at hitch options. I found 3 potential options, but Amazon had the Curt hitch, for lot less than anyone $97. I was about to put it in my cart, and noticed they also had a new hitch, but with a damaged box for for under $60. Should have it by next weekend.

How far should that lower the receiver? The class 2 oem hitch is 21 inches from ground level. Thanks again.

My wife just left with my explorer, but approximately three finger widths between top of new hitch and bottom of original hitch. I use a 3 1/2 inch drop ball mount to tow my little 17 foot camper perfectly level

Back