Codes and Sputtering! HELP!

1dustinlthomas

Reaction score
City, State
Palatka, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0OHV
Hello to everyone,

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV. All stock. I've been having a sputter, jerk, hesitation while driving. Its not coming from the transmission. I hooked it to a OBII scanner and it is showing the following codes : P0135 , P0340 , P0175 . Is this my culprit of the issue i am having and is one causing the others?

P0340- I have inspected the connector and it is connected and the sensor is intact.

P0135 & P0175- I'm not sure how to diagnose?

Any help would be grateful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved this thread to the stock 2nd generation sub forum.
First, check all your fuses. Is there any more information you can give us? What driving conditions led up to this problem?

p0135 says the bank 1 (driver side) 02 sensor heater circuit is dead. Check the 02 sensor plug, it might be as simple as a pin in the plug being pushed out and not making contact.

p0175 bank 2 too rich.

p0340 is a bad camshaft position sensor signal. That is the one to fix. I could see this causing a rich run condition. There is a procedure for replacing it, but first I would check all the connections and wiring. You might even try re seating the pcm connectors by un plugging them and plugging them back in.

Thanks for moving to the right location!

The Explorer will drive but at random it will sputter, jerk. i can play with the gas pedal and make it go away for a few seconds. I can floor it into passing gear and it doesnt show any problems. just seems to do it at steady speeds.

Thanks for moving to the right location!

The Explorer will drive but at random it will sputter, jerk. i can play with the gas pedal and make it go away for a few seconds. I can floor it into passing gear and it doesnt show any problems. just seems to do it at steady speeds.

Bad throttle position sensor vs maf sensor?

I checked the Throttle Position sensor with a meter and it seemed to be working fine. it didnt throw any codes for it either.

new codes

i am getting theese following codes now: p0135, p0340, p1152, p0172, p0175

Replace all of your o2 sensors they prolly all need it anyways./

i am getting theese following codes now: p0135, p0340, p1152, p0172, p0175

P0340 camshaft position sensor. The CPS controls fuel injector timing, so, if it was not functioning I would expect the other codes.
You will find it located at the rear of the engine block where the distributor would be. You might check the wiring first.

I replaced the cam position sensor and still get the codes. wiring is connected. Trying to figure out to buy another engine harness or if its the computer, don't know where to start.

Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge on this? ive been waiting to see if anyone could help?

Back