Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer

Just pull out the shroud. It’s like you are insisting on making this extra hard for some reason.

Cleaning these would require real compressed air. Nothing else is going to get that grit out of there. Repeated soakings are just going to drive it to the bottom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, Wyoming sucks! Lol

So I did my spray bottle purple power technique again. But that has caused another issue.

I spray degreaser, only let it sit there less than a minute. Then quickly spray water to rinse. But before I could grab the leaf blower to blow water off. It had froze to the engine! Then I had to use a long bic lighter for wood stoves, to melt the ice around the spark plug. Then I could install the spark plug all the way. But even after all that the socket still got stuck! Then I had to spray inside and outside of socket with WD-40. I tried to wiggle socket off, but no luck. Turns out previous mechanic had bent the sleeve. So I had to jam a flat head screw driver in between sleeve and socket. After i bent the sleeve away from the socket a bit. I could use all my strength to wiggle off the socket with vise grips. Until i fell on my ass! Lol

AFTER 4 HOURS OR MORE, CHANGED ONE SPARK PLUG! So consider yourself grateful for not being in my situation. What a pain!

My next plan of attack, now that the truck runs again. I'll do the spray technique with plug wires on. until there's ice, then I'm get it up to running temperature and the ice will melt off. After it's all clean, I will finish changing the rest of the plugs after it cools back down. Then I'll be done for now.

Sucks living in an apartment with not all of my tools here and no garage. Hope all you guys are having a great day!

It's not that I'm insisting on making it more difficult. It's just my situation!

1. NO GARAGE!
2. NO AIR COMPRESSOR!
3. NOT ALL MY TOOLS HERE!
4. WORKING IN DRIVEWAY AT APARTMENT WITH IT BEING BELOW FREEZING OUTSIDE!

NO OFFENSE. But let's see you do better in same situation. Drive to Wyoming in February with VERY LIMITED TOOLS in middle of winter and try to see if how long it takes you to change spark plugs in parking lot. After some dummy had bent the sleeves and almost caved them in. Then see how easy it is? Also after truck has not been properly cleaned or maintenanced for 180 thousand miles, with bad valve cover gaskets. I'm only explaining my situation, so you can fully understand.

Have you ever had a ball joint bust off on the mountain about 1 hour from town by yourself? How you get it off the mountain at that time without walking 40 miles back to town?

I'll tell you how, a ratchet strap. Jack up the A arm to close to where it goes. Then wrap the ratchet strap around both A arms super tight. If your lucky it will hold and you can carefully drive back to town. Just an example of, sometimes you got to use what is available and try to get the job done. Have you ever seen the original MacGyver? This is kinda like that. My air compressor is about 2,000 miles away in my parents garage. So trust me, I'm NOT thinking to myself = HOW CAN I MAKE THIS MORE DIFFICULT? That's HILARIOUS!!!!!

20230217_121431.jpg

It's not that I'm insisting on making it more difficult. It's just my situation!

1. NO GARAGE!
2. NO AIR COMPRESSOR!
3. NOT ALL MY TOOLS HERE!
4. WORKING IN DRIVEWAY AT APARTMENT WITH IT BEING BELOW FREEZING OUTSIDE!

NO OFFENSE. But let's see you do better in same situation. Drive to Wyoming in February with VERY LIMITED TOOLS in middle of winter and try to see if how long it takes you to change spark plugs in parking lot. After some dummy had bent the sleeves and almost caved them in. Then see how easy it is? Also after truck has not been properly cleaned or maintenanced for 180 thousand miles, with bad valve cover gaskets. I'm only explaining my situation, so you can fully understand.

Have you ever had a ball joint bust off on the mountain about 1 hour from town by yourself? How you get it off the mountain at that time without walking 40 miles back to town?

I'll tell you how, a ratchet strap. Jack up the A arm to close to where it goes. Then wrap the ratchet strap around both A arms super tight. If your lucky it will hold and you can carefully drive back to town. Just an example of, sometimes you got to use what is available and try to get the job done. Have you ever seen the original MacGyver? This is kinda like that. My air compressor is about 2,000 miles away in my parents garage. So trust me, I'm NOT thinking to myself = HOW CAN I MAKE THIS MORE DIFFICULT? That's HILARIOUS!!!!!

hey man we get it, and thanks for explaining your situation, but making remarks liek thats hillarious does nothing to help he situation. we weren't aware, and were sorry.

You act like you’re the only guy who has ever worked outside in the winter or something.

You could have easily just removed those shrouds like suggested many times.

the steel "heat guard" comes off the engine with plyers
I have fought this battle before with the stuck socket
Just remove the "heat guard" and discard it they are "press fit"
You do not have to put it back as long as you use careful routing of the wires to avoid the exhaust (don't even get close)
also just to check have you followed jamies advice? hes a great guy with tons of v8 experience

hey man we get it, and thanks for explaining your situation, but making remarks liek thats hillarious does nothing to help he situation. we weren't aware, and were sorry.
i understand everything hes going through but thats life and it sucks ive changed trans lines in the cold and done several other repairs when its 10 outside and sometimes when its 100 plus it isnt pleasant but it has to be done

You act like you’re the only guy who has ever worked outside in the winter or something.

You could have easily just removed those shrouds like suggested many times.
Exactly

trust me your not the only one that has had to work in these conditions i work outside year round in the cold and the hot you could have made it easier on yourself by removing those shields but you chose to do it the hard way and then write that post talking about your "situation"

i understand everything hes going through but thats life and it sucks ive changed trans lines in the cold and done several other repairs when its 10 outside and sometimes when its 100 plus it isnt pleasant but it has to be done
yep, just sayin that we do understand his situation, but that also aint no reason to come onto the forums to be frustrated at others who may not have fully understood his situation. yes we can do with something called empathy that doesn't seem to exist these days, and common decency (also extinct), but it must also be reciprocated. the age old saying, treat others ho you wish to be treated. we wasnt fully aware of his situation, and not saying we aint understanding, but certain remarks dont get the discussion anywhere alright sorry thats enough of me for a while

yep, just sayin that we do understand his situation, but that also aint no reason to come onto the forums to be frustrated at others who may not have fully understood his situation. yes we can do with something called empathy that doesn't seem to exist these days, and common decency (also extinct), but it must also be reciprocated. the age old saying, treat others ho you wish to be treated. we wasnt fully aware of his situation, and not saying we aint understanding, but certain remarks dont get the discussion anywhere alright sorry thats enough of me for a while
i agree 100% ive had to do some extremely diffucult repairs but i have never not once came on here and complained or griped about it

People will not end up in a situation like this if they just did their maintenance

i agree 100% ive had to do some extremely diffucult repairs but i have never not once came on here and complained or griped about it
yep, and were all human we all make mistakes and get frustrated, its human nature! so idk not mad at anyone, or pointing fingers, but soemtimes online forums could do with a bit less of this kinda stuff. hey man all i gotta say is were cool just please dont come on the forums hand on the holster (figuratively), it dont do no one on here good. there are other discord servers for that ;) theres nothing wrong with a vent or two here or there, if we kept it all in we would be long gone, but its TPO (time place occasion)

No worries. Just don't assume everyone has a garage, all the tools in the world and a compressor. Everybody's situation is different. But if you do assume, only think that they have a rough situation and are doing there best. Then it's fine. I really appreciate all the help from all of you guys, it has helped me more then you know. That's the point of these forums, to help others. Also if we can get a harmless laugh, why not. I mean no offense, but in that situation. I choose to laugh and explain, instead of taking offense.

Taking a break, hopefully i can finish plugs today. Tomorrow 90° intake tube should be here. There behind schedule, but its okay because I can only imagine there situation is worse then perfect.

You didn’t need a garage or any other tools. You had the knowledge and tools you needed. 🤷‍♂️

No worries. Just don't assume everyone has a garage, all the tools in the world and a compressor. Everybody's situation is different. But if you do assume, only think that they have a rough situation and are doing there best. Then it's fine. I really appreciate all the help from all of you guys, it has helped me more then you know. That's the point of these forums, to help others. Also if we can get a harmless laugh, why not. I mean no offense, but in that situation. I choose to laugh and explain, instead of taking offense.

Taking a break, hopefully i can finish plugs today. Tomorrow 90° intake tube should be here. There behind schedule, but its okay because I can only imagine there situation is worse then perfect.
true man, you are right on that one! it does come from a point in which many on here do have a garage and compressor if they are doing a certain level of work. and true, dont mind a harmless laugh here and there! just have had a recent influx of folks who come on to release anger and get worked up over small stuff/nonexistant stuff, or an influx of trolls too lol. hopefully man, good luck with it!

heres a joke (not the best but works lol)
What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
Pumpkin pi.
halfglassofwater.jpg

Q: what do you do with a dead chemist?
A: Barium

Id tell more chemistry jokes but the best ones Argon....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

true man, you are right on that one! it does come from a point in which many on here do have a garage and compressor if they are doing a certain level of work. and true, dont mind a harmless laugh here and there! just have had a recent influx of folks who come on to release anger and get worked up over small stuff/nonexistant stuff, or an influx of trolls too lol. hopefully man, good luck with it!

heres a joke (not the best but works lol)
What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
Pumpkin pi.
View attachment 439178

Q: what do you do with a dead chemist?
A: Barium

Id tell more chemistry jokes but the best ones Argon....
Argon is a classic

Back