Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer

New pcv will help with oil vapors also. Replace the grommet that seals it to the block also.

The square connector on firewall, and it's bracket can be moved for easier access to pcv.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone! So the air box is at a stand still. The metal i was working with was a huge hassle to modify. I'm not to worried about it, works fine as is.

But my question is. Does anyone have torque master or Maximizer headers? Because currently there ALL SOLD OUT. I found one set online and they want over $3,000 for them! Which is OUTRAGEOUS! I would pay about $600, which is expensive for headers, in my opinion.

So it seems they may be discontinued. So that means i need a different option. So the main question is. Has ANYONE used Speedway motors small block tight fit block hugger headers? Will those work with slight modification? Or anyone know a header that works that is still available. Must have headers!
1. Because stock manifolds are cracked and annoying.
2. Because why not get the BEST exhaust upgrade to replace stock crap.

Any and all info appreciated. Please and thanks.

Screenshot_20230412-124112_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just remember you get what you pay for $600 s not gonna get you torque monster headers
It would be very hard to beat them
You're gonna wanna post where you found them because there are members here who will pay that

No headers will fix other than the torque monsters and maximizers. If they did these two would not be on the market.

No headers will fix other than the torque monsters and maximizers. If they did these two would not be on the market.
really wish the stang headers would clear on these :(

So it was the OBX Racing Sports headers. They claim they fit the 5.0 explorers and mountaineers. It was from desertcart.brunei for like $1,300. But guess what, OUT OF STOCK. Sorry, I didn't click on it before. Wasn't gonna pay that much.

So I saw a guy on YouTube, had changed some stuff on his steering rod. He made a different "regular" header fit. But had to do a bit of fabricating. Which is fine. It doesn't need to be a direct bolt on. Little cutting or grinding is normal for a "custom" project. Such as a 5.0 ranger. So nobody on here has made something else work?

So it seems those 3 options are discontinued. Which means, we got to find another way. Bolt on is out! I get the "you get what you pay for". But I'm cool with if I can get a cheap set of headers and maybe modify some stuff to make it work. If there is only one small issue, such as the block huggers hit the steering. Guess what, simple solution. Cut it and design it slightly different. Then welded it back together. Make it work. I'm cool with that. That's the point of these forums, to work together and share what we know. Saying there are only 2 options and nothing else will work won't help anyone. I suppose you meant to say, those are the 2 bolt on options that I'm aware of? Custom parts are ALWAYS an option. Just my opinion, no offense. We still want to find a way. So let's work together. Later guys, PEACE! 🙂

Screenshot_20230412-163936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Obviously I meant bolt on options. You can have custom headers made for anything. My point was there’s no simple solution, such as a shorty mustang header, that is going to bolt on.

Making a non standard header work without some fair fabrication skills isn’t going to be as easy as you think. There’s way less room than you think if you suspected those mustang headers might work.

If you’re balking at $600, I figured custom stuff was way out of your price range. You can still get the Torque Monsters. The lead time is just ridiculous.

have compared a 5.0 under hood to neighbors stangs (hes got anythign from stock to slicks SC'd) and can confirm fitment on these is TIGHTTTTTTTTT by comparison

@gmanpaint has a set of obx new in box for sale

The 5.0 fits the engine bay better than the sohc imo… the sohc has all those vacuum and heater hoses all over the place, sensors and plastic bits crammed into every corner and cranny. We all know I prefer the 5.0 but it’s not just because of the pushrods…

Ever changed the starter on a sohc? Geeze man what a fiasco!!

Yes, you're right. My 94 3.0 the design is terrible. You have to almost remove the fuel lines, just to change thermostat. The oil filter is directly above the starter. Seriously, that is just dumb. I had both of the early 90's v6's. 3.0's and 4.0's. I've had i believe 4 rangers and 3 explorers. No doubt, 5.0 is best in alot of ways. I like the oil filter location on 5.0, close to front of engine bay and not above anything, also not sideways. I love my 94 3.0, but it's so under powered. Barely hold 60 on flat ground with 31's. But I think if I would have changed gears to 4.11's. It would be great. But the 5.0 explorer is just so much better. Don't really need to try.

I’m putting a 02 Taurus 3.0 into a 03 ranger 3.0 right now. I don’t mind the 3.0 layout but it’s just so tiny with its half liter pistons lol lol at least it has 8 head bolts per side…. Normally I toss 3.0 in the junk pile but this truck just needed an engine to be great and my buddy has a low mile Taurus w bad trans

I'm not totally against 3.0's. It's just slightly bad design. Mostly under powered. But as for reliability, its solid. Mine only left me stranded twice in 16 years.

Hello everyone.

So quick question. What all do we do? I mean as members of forum. I'm new on here and about 15 years late on building a 5.0 explorer/ 5.0 ranger. But its my dream build and better late then never. Thanks everyone for everything. Hoping to expand more then sharing technical information online.

Hello everyone.

So quick question. What all do we do? I mean as members of forum. I'm new on here and about 15 years late on building a 5.0 explorer/ 5.0 ranger. But its my dream build and better late then never. Thanks everyone for everything. Hoping to expand more then sharing technical information online.
I'm the guy that always recommends a larger displacement engine with some power adder.

I can point you to thread where I have converted rangers to 5.0 with every detail from start to finish

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks 410Fortune. Hopefully in a few months I'll be diving into the 5.0 ranger swap. I'm interested to begin learning the ins and outs now.

But first focusing on ball joints, headers, underdrive pulleys, A/C delete and transmission service. Then swap.

Back