Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake for 5.0 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I agree with everyone.

I bought this truck last summer and it was neglected. But I got it for cheap and now it's getting the maintenance it deserves.

The lady that had it before was poor. The windshield sprayers work, but not on the blinker lever. The regular control had broke, so the mechanic she hired bypassed the switch and put a different switch in the center console. Because that was a lot cheaper of a fix.Trust me I don't like some of this stuff either. Lol

Anyways take care guys.

I bought this truck last summer and it was neglected. But I got it for cheap and now it's getting the maintenance it deserves.

The lady that had it before was poor. The windshield sprayers work, but not on the blinker lever. The regular control had broke, so the mechanic she hired bypassed the switch and put a different switch in the center console. Because that was a lot cheaper of a fix.Trust me I don't like some of this stuff either. Lol

Anyways take care guys.
as long as the wheels arent held on by zip ties and the brakes are not made of cardboard, if it works, it works! :D:thumbsup:

Anyways take care guys.
The correct multifunction switch is like $40. Super easy fix.

<-------------------------school of hard knocks

I drive a BII daily for 27 something years for heavens sakes
I ported my old 2.9 intake with a Dremel in the living room of my first condo, I washed the engine parts in my bathtub
I did my first engine conversion at a friends house in his driveway with borrowed tools

Where there is a will
there is a way

battle on
Deep breaths, slow down, read the posts carefully, sometimes take notes

I ditch all those metal collars from all my 5.0 they are not needed and they pull right off

Consider moving away from WYO, its too windy and the roads are bumpy.
Montana roads much nicer, more water, less wind

Once again, I agree. Lolzzzz! I'm NOT really fond of the guys that used to work on this truck. They don't really do stuff as a professional mechanic shop should.

Anyways, got the other 6 plugs done in about an hour. Thats more like it! Went for a test drive and it's noticeable hp increase just from regular maintenance. Lol. The plugs definitely needed changed. Here is one new on left and 2 old on right. Over due for sure!

Upgraded to NGK Iridium IX's

Some say gap of .045, some say gap of .054. I set them all at .050
20230217_142836.jpg

autolite or motorcraft double platinum
gap is .054 but.......

gapping platinum or irridium tipped plugs is a no no

Ford spent millions producing the 5.0 in your explorer, you really think NGK is going to make a better plug then the factory one? No way jose
NGK irridium are ok
But most plugs are just gimmick, +2, +4, E3 green, etc etc gimmicks

But most plugs are just gimmick, +2, +4, E3 green, etc etc gimmicks
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ am yet to see any conclusive real world test that prove anything about them lol

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ am yet to see any conclusive real world test that prove anything about them lol
Exactly motorcraft is the best for fords period.

Man, that’s a lot of ash on that middle plug.

yup engine may have some issues for sure
ash buildup nasty could be from being worn out,
but likely from oil leaks into combustion chamber (valve seals)

About the plugs, they say iridium last the longest. They say they have higher temp limit. Besides that not much difference. But I'm no expert. They needed changed regardless. Runs smoother and better.

As for the motor, yes it has over 180,000 miles. So I'm sure there is plenty that needs attention. It doesn't smoke at all. There is an exhaust leak under heat shield on passenger side manifold. Valve cover gaskets bad, leaks on exhaust. So you smell it. Besides that seems okay, no major issues.

Sometimes, while driving and it shifts up. It will do this weird vibration thing. It fells like when you drive on the grooves on side of freeway. I usually give it more gas and shifts down, then its fine. I will service tranny when I can. Was hoping that will fix the issue.

Will rebuild it one day, but not today. Thanks for all the input.

I've used a 4 leg fold out canopy and some furniture blankets clamped to the legs for a portable garage. A decent size space heater would feel better than the wind.

About the plugs, they say iridium last the longest. They say they have higher temp limit. Besides that not much difference. But I'm no expert. They needed changed regardless. Runs smoother and better.

As for the motor, yes it has over 180,000 miles. So I'm sure there is plenty that needs attention. It doesn't smoke at all. There is an exhaust leak under heat shield on passenger side manifold. Valve cover gaskets bad, leaks on exhaust. So you smell it. Besides that seems okay, no major issues.

Sometimes, while driving and it shifts up. It will do this weird vibration thing. It fells like when you drive on the grooves on side of freeway. I usually give it more gas and shifts down, then its fine. I will service tranny when I can. Was hoping that will fix the issue.

Will rebuild it one day, but not today. Thanks for all the input.
rumble strip=TC shudder

new fluid and some lubegard shudder fix is the way id go imo

You guys are awesome! Nice simple fix Josh. That would work. I did alot of the prep work in the apartment or room with concrete floor and water heater. (Closest i got to garage).

Rumble strip, yes. Thanks, I was gonna do filter and fluid. But I'll check out lubegard shutter fix also. Thanks.

It's pretty solid truck, just been neglected a bit. Nothing to serious. It's super reliable. Only had it 2 months and drove it loaded down over 2,000 miles when I moved last year. Had as much stuff crammed in truck, on roof rack and 5x8 single Axle trailer as I could fit. Trailer alone had 700 pound garden tractor and bunch of stuff. Back tires were rubbing on corners and bumps pretty bad. I had to repack some stuff to front of truck and back of trailer, to even it out a bit. But made it no prob.

Thanks 410Fortune. I will get some of that.

So Intake Project is Finally done after 2 months!

Today, I got the 3.5" by 3.25" silicone 90° in the mail. It fits good, but honestly just a hair to big on both ends. So I used electric tape wrapped around intake tube and MAFS housing to seal the gap. I know, not best way. But it works fine. I had to cut one of the aluminum intake tubes with flange in half. Just cut about inch away from flange, so I could bold MAFS to it. So the MAFS is pointed in the correct direction. Had to rebend my custom bracket slightly, but still works.

Recorded a bunch of clips for my youtube channel. Gonna post youtube video, after I edit it. Check out my youtube channel if you like, search "Sweet Bailey". It's the guy that does landscaping, D.I.Y. projects and motivational speaking. Also many other types of videos. I would appreciate your support.
20230218_154710.jpg

Took it for a test drive and no check engine light. But was only few minutes. Tomorrow I will know for sure. Pics below.

I watched the wall rack video on your YouTube channel. I'm surprised those anchors held that well in hollow block. The drill bit usually makes an exit wound on the backside. Easy trick for all the holes to line up is to drill the board, place the board on the wall and then drill through the board.

Thanks Josh, you must be Snuggs. I just replied to your comment. Thanks for your support.

So I test drove the truck again. About 30 minute drive total. Stopped and walked the dog. 15 minutes one way, 15 minutes back. Still no check engine light and no issues. Think it was more noticeable before when MAFS was backwards and had stock muffler. But better then stock for sure. Just glad I'm finally done with no issues.

All THANKS to all of you and my friend. So here is parts list and costs.

94-95 Mustang GT/Cobra RS Performance Cold Air Intake Converted into Custom CAI for 97 Ford Explorer 5.0.
Screenshot_20230218-133942_Memo Pad.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Josh, you must be Snuggs. I just replied to your comment. Thanks for your support.

So I test drove the truck again. About 30 minute drive total. Stopped and walked the dog. 15 minutes one way, 15 minutes back. Still no check engine light and no issues. Think it was more noticeable before when MAFS was backwards and had stock muffler. But better then stock for sure. Just glad I'm finally done with no issues.

All THANKS to all of you and my friend. So here is parts list and costs.

94-95 Mustang GT/Cobra RS Performance Cold Air Intake Converted into Custom CAI for 97 Ford Explorer 5.0.View attachment 439218
Don't give away all my secrets...

Back