How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
ok--wait a minute--let's review please??

From what dad and I observed with a tape measure on 5 trucks this weekend and from him currently owning a rear DS out of a '99 4.6 that does NOT work (4-5" too long) -

I am suggesting that the donor vehicle be a 5.4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You've gotta beat me to it...

I've located the t-case and shift linkage... waiting on a price now. The guy also told me where I can get an Expedition rear driveshaft for $75... thats about $50 cheaper than most places.

I've located the t-case and shift linkage... waiting on a price now. The guy also told me where I can get an Expedition rear driveshaft for $75... thats about $50 cheaper than most places.

I am glad I got all my stuff in one shot- well worth the $$$, IMO.

Glad to see more people doing the conversion- Ford should have done this in the begining I think.

Check jtsmith's thread for where to clearance the body for non BL guys-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185203&page=3

Post #49

I'm actually contemplating doing the body lift first. My best friend's dad is a fantatic metal worker and he's going to make some bumpers for me. He said he may already have enough materials to make them. In that case, it will only cost me $150. If he has to buy the materials, it will be $300. The t-case isn't going anywhere, so I might be better off doing the BL and bumpers first.

:confused: Well I just blew a whole afternoon hooking a relay into the indicator lights--

I don't know where I got it, but I was trying to use a fog light relay--you know, the kind that has 87 and 87a on a common pole--
That will throw you a curve--:confused:
I got the correct type relay installed and the lights work like it was meant to be--

BTW, on My 98 Mounty-the wires were coded the same. the light blue with black stripe wire is 4wd low light-grey is 4wd Hi light.

I got a couple more part numbers from the dealer today that might help people.

4406 Manual Transfer Knob --F2TZ7213A

4406 Lockout Switch (4wd indicator sensor) -- 4L327E440AB

Some more info...

The GEM wires were the same colors as yours, the confusing part was there were two gray wires in my GEM. The one needed is in the pinhole third from the bottom on the guage cluster side of the GEM as it sits in the truck.

Your explanation on making the dash lights with the relay was extremely helpful. I can tell you that it makes much more sense when you have the wires and the relay right in front of you.

Did you put the skid plate back on yours? I had to trim about an inch off of the area directly in front of the transfer case and up the side to the mounting point.

I ran my wires through a hole I drilled right behind the access hole, then put a break with two bullet connectors in it inside the truck at that point to make it easier down the road if I need to change anything.

I made my own pigtail for the range sensor with a connector from the 98 tranny wiring harness. I don't know what the plug is to, but it is the one that plugs into the drivers side of the tranny above and to the rear of the trans range sensor. I cut 2 slots in the top and bottom of the plug with my dremel to accomidate for the range sensor and it plugged right up.

Mine is now ready to go once I get all of my tuning figured out. :)

yeah

what about the speed sensor issue where is the sencor on the t-case

what about the speed sensor issue where is the sencor on the t-case

It is on the tail stock of the case, driver side top. I forgot to add above, I had to extend the speed sendor wires in the harness about a foot to reach the speed sensor in the 4406.

Would I be able to pull a t-case out of a '93 F-150 and do the same type of swap? Or did they make a 4L engine in the year range that you used?

I guess I'm reviving an old thread here!

Everyone keeps discussing using the manual shift transfer case, not the electric. Why is that? Seems to me that it might be easier to install the electric and just fab up some buttons to control it.

Any thoughts?

I guess I'm reviving an old thread here!

Everyone keeps discussing using the manual shift transfer case, not the electric. Why is that? Seems to me that it might be easier to install the electric and just fab up some buttons to control it.

Any thoughts?

This requires swapping to a shorter fuel tank from a 2 door sport-the shift motor will hit the 4 door fuel tank.
Resulting in a drop from 22 to 18 gallons fuel capacity.

Yes, which is the only drawback I see, and that Sport tank I will go hunt for shortly.

Yeah Im going to do exactly that, with the electric motor, but Im going to swap in a 20 GA fuel cell in the back "bed" area.

This thing is going to be cool as hell...

I got back from OIF about a week ago and I been shoppin' :D

I got the Waggy springs and the rear end, Its ALMOST TEAR-DOWN TIME!

Daniel

Will this swap work on a 2000 4.0 v6??

Is there a similar T-Case that will work. if not, I guess its time for a 5.0 swap!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a similar T-Case that will work. if not, I guess its time for a 5.0 swap!!

Incase you haven't found your answer, to have a manual t-case for your 4.0 you must get a manual 1354 T-case or Go with the 5.0, this write up is pretty good you would be able to do the setup.

Back