• Register Today It's free!

Crooked torsion bar bolt?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
:confused2:
I noticed that one side of my truck is sitting higher than the other when I went to install front sway bar links.

Do I have to re-seat the bracket that the torsion bolt goes through? I know it definitely shouldn’t be crooked.
779D2128-7794-4A5F-90D5-CF04CB51638B.jpeg

D7FF95D1-9557-4CE4-910C-CA113FCD7D7F.jpeg

2D9F0C1F-D217-4B39-A1E3-FC270533F414.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely look's crooked to me.
Look's like the driver's side, I'd jack it up till the tires of the ground and loosen adjusting bolt, count the turns, then use a puller to straighten the keeper.
Check out the video.

So I removed the bolt completely and backed out of the driveway. I heard a loud pop and went under the truck to see that the bracket had snapped back into place on its own.

Weird since I don’t know how it happened in the first place. I do remember coming to a sudden stop a few weeks ago and hearing a strange noise in the suspension. Maybe that was it.

Update: The bolt was crooked again after a while even though I reinstalled it correctly. Anyone know if the end of the bolt is supposed to be this round? Maybe that’s where my problem is.
5F4FAFBF-610E-46F5-9617-BBD84DA6FE1C.jpeg

Yes that's what mine looks like

Yes that's what mine looks like
The only thing I can think of then is that they key is worn out where the bolt is supposed to rest. Either that or the torsion bar adjuster is worn. I can get new keys but have no idea where I’d find a replacement torsion bar adjuster.

So I replaced the adjuster nut and got my lift back. The old one was really worn out as indicated by the yellow lines. I wish I did a side by side comparison of the new adjuster nut but it was a lot more narrow where it seats.
7F7A17C5-3687-42F0-8CE2-C7735BBF8C9D.jpeg

DC953E72-CAED-4F4B-B8BB-E37558556FC4.jpeg

This is the part I used, it was listed for 1998-2001 mountaineer but I’m sure it works for all second gens, possibly sport tracs too.
9300A6CD-BF7D-4FF2-8B08-FC2DECE00A47.jpeg

Happy to have my torsion lift back. Putting some new Ranchos on today that are longer to accommodate for the lift.
52330A33-0F44-483B-9810-7CB432216786.jpeg

You did well to get that straightened out. Those adjuster parts have to be set in there straight to begin with when the torsion bar tension is completely off of it. Most likely that happened the last time that torsion bar was installed or R&R'd.

I have had the torsion bars out many times during suspension rebuilds. It isn't hard to get them properly set up from the loose position. You are lucky it popped back in straight that first time, but obviously the part got worn out from being in crooked for a long time. They are all good parts, replacing the one part was smart, well done.

You did well to get that straightened out. Those adjuster parts have to be set in there straight to begin with when the torsion bar tension is completely off of it. Most likely that happened the last time that torsion bar was installed or R&R'd.

I have had the torsion bars out many times during suspension rebuilds. It isn't hard to get them properly set up from the loose position. You are lucky it popped back in straight that first time, but obviously the part got worn out from being in crooked for a long time. They are all good parts, replacing the one part was smart, well done.
I think it got worn out due to my error also. I completely removed the torsion bolt and drove it around like that for a while before deciding on what lift height I wanted and getting an alignment. Maybe that contributed to it.

Back