Crozet, VA 10th anniversary run chat thread | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crozet, VA 10th anniversary run chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dopler174 said:
Is that so you don't have to mash the pedal? You can pull a trigger? If so, That would be the **** when wheeling.
Yea its been done on this site and even by Rick I believe. Some people use the racheting gear shifter from a bike, that way they can set the rpms when winching and what not. The trigger is not real robust and I am thinking about making it out of steel. What I hate is when you hit big bumps and your foot will bounce around on the throttle. This should eliminate that. Cost me 5 bucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh I Hate that! Hit a big hole as hard as you can just so you can slip off the gas pedal. I might have to steal your idea in the near future.

Well I stold it from someone else anyway. Only difference is mine will not be hard mounted for now. I didnt get around to it today, maybe tomorrow.

i would think a boat throttle would be better for that but its a really good idea, do shackles count as a tow point BTW.

I wouldn't think so. I would think that they would be way to weak for any real snatching. I still have to get my rear hooks put on. I figure I will get my rear ones in place and welded on Tuesday morning maybe. I got my front ones welded on the other day.

Xzibit A said:
i would think a boat throttle would be better for that but its a really good idea, do shackles count as a tow point BTW.
A boat throttle is too big. By the way, the throttle thing was not my idea. I read about it here and other sites. The weed eater handle is what I'll take credit for :confused:

Does this look like it will be OK for rear tow points? If so, I can get rid of the receiver hitch for a little more clearance.

I dont think that that bumper is the best idea for a tow point, it would be easier to get a clevis hitch reciecver from warn or something.

(dead link)

You can find that or something like it for around 20 bucks at any tractor supply store, or cabelas, bass pro, ect.

I got a clevis for my receiver. I just don't like the receiver hanging down. It has stopped me dead in my tracks a couple of times.

I know some people use the bumper for limited towing use, but I dont think you want to put your trust in that if your dead stuck. I say if you can, go off the frame somewhere, if not then just use that. Really there is no downside to adding more tow points, it just gives you more options.

I don't have a hitch and I'm gonad just put some hooks on the frame where the hitch should be and then notch the bumper out so you can get to them real good. Ill post a picture as soon as I get this done...maybe Tuesday.

I was reading over the rules just to make sure I had everything and noticed something about flags. Has anybody mounted one? I sent Chris an e-mail yesterday asking if it was needed or not. Still waiting for a response.

Hooks on a stock Bumper would be for light duty use... Any heavy pull and you could twist/warp the bumper as they aren't designed for any abuse.. Your receiver is many times stronger than the stock bumper and will be trade off in terms clearance issues...

Got a response from Chris. Flags are not required.

Josh said:
I was reading over the rules just to make sure I had everything and noticed something about flags. Has anybody mounted one? I sent Chris an e-mail yesterday asking if it was needed or not. Still waiting for a response.

I posted a while back about what is required and didn't get a responce. I currently have frt/rear tow points but dont' have my battery tied down nor a fire ext. I can't think of anything else I would fail at other off-road parks.

I may decide to come out to this at the last minute with my Ranger (D44, locked both ends, very flexy, pre-dented). Some of you might recognize me from TRS or RRORC.

Front Tow Hooks

I got my front tow hooks finished today...Finaly!

Jun18_46.jpg

I'll get the rear ones done tuesday.

I would like to make a suggestion. It may be advantagious if we compile a list of participants with phone numbers. That way we can print them off and would have them for the trip. I believe that Crozet and Misty Mountian will both have cell service.

Also What CB channel are we going to use?

Blee suggested channel 1.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

304-541-1763 is my cell number, i don't care to give it out. I'm hoping to be in the area about 6ish friday evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back