• Register Today It's free!

cut rockers

91ROKKRAWLER

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Xploder
just curious, you guys that have cut your rockers off to raise your sliders up higher, what did you do with the rockers? did you cap them, fold them over, or just leave them?

I'm gonna be doing this soon and need to know asap. thanks a lot guys, i'll take pics when i do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

I'm watching to see what your going to do. My rocker panels are getting very banged up. I'm going to need to do something with them.

The april 2010 petersen's 4wheel & off-road has an short install article about "evo boatside bomber kit", which of course is for jeeps. I like how they did it, just not sure about on an X. IIRC, there are wires that will need to be moved to cut the inner panel of the rocker.

~Mark

I cut mine off on my BII. I had to resecure the bottoms of the front fenders (you have to cut through a support bracket that's behind there), and then filled in a small area just ahead of the rear wheelwell with some of that expanding foam-in-a-can stuff where a hole had opened up to the outside.

My rockers are intact, but I did cut off 6"+ off the bottom edge of the back end of my Ranger's bed. (the section between the rear wheels and the tailgate)
I cut it with a skilsaw with a metal cutting blade, smoothed it slightly with a grinder, and called it good. No folded edge, no trim guard, just a bare edge. Looks fine, and it's been several years.

I cut mine and just left them. But mine is a trail only rig.

Haze008.jpg

Haze006.jpg

A different view of the cut rocker.
links012.jpg

Sliders on.
sliders014.jpg

So its completely sealed under ther when i cut them off? Yours are exactly what i am lookin to do firezapper. Thanks

Junkie, did you have to cap your rockers at all?

Cap? :dunno:
Not sure what you mean... I cut mine off much the same way Firezapper did (I used a sawzall with a fine-tooth blade for a good clean cut), although on mine there was a small gap that opened up for a few inches just in front of the rear wheelwell where I had to cut a pinched seam off between the exterior side panel and the floorboard (not sure if the Ex is the same structurally in that spot), so I just filled it with that expanding foam stuff, then trimmed it so it was flush underneath, sprayed it with flat primer and left it at that.

Here's a couple pics showing mine (sliders made of 2x3" tube, capped at the ends, if that's what you meant):
702959_44_full.jpg

Mounting
702959_46_full.jpg

what i'm askin is do i need to weld any metal under the door sills to seal off the body or is it sealed from the elements when i cut them off?

I think there is some thin sheet metal there but it all depends on how rusted out they are.
I am interested in what you do to yours.

Mine are rusted out bad so I just put some sheet metal over what use to be the factory rockers. Installed with some some sheet metal screws and a little bondo and spray on undercoating.
It has worked for now but looks a little weird they hang a little lower than what I like. Use to have the factory running boards on there and the truck lives in the good old rust belt of wisconsin:rolleyes:

I am planning on cutting mine out too and install some sliders on. The Ex got retired from a DD so now its my little toy for a trail rig.
All stock now but in time hopefully it will be a fun trail rig:D

what i'm askin is do i need to weld any metal under the door sills to seal off the body or is it sealed from the elements when i cut them off?

Ok, I think got you now... You're asking if there are any gaps left open that you'd have to seal up somehow after you cut them off, which my post explains exactly what I had to deal with on mine, and how I did it. Someone else will have to field whether the same situation is true on the Ex or not though, as I don't know myself.

ok so they are officially GONE now... not too bad, an hour or two and a couple 9" bi metal blades... it only slowed down when i hit a BUNCH of bondo from a previous owner, like 1/4" thick bondo.

some pics
100_1571.jpg

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1575.jpg

the hole junkie is talkin about
100_1578.jpg

100_1586.jpg

i chose not to cut my fenders yet. my sliders are just long enough to fit in the main body part. i may cut them later and make a L bracket to mount the fender to.

100_1579.jpg

100_1583.jpg

cut the quarters too
100_1569.jpg

100_1572.jpg

the final result
100_1566.jpg

100_1567.jpg

can you get a pic from underneath where you cut the rear quarter?

I cut my quaters and made the bumper wrap around. Protects the rear pretty good:thumbsup:

did you run a bar from the frame to the bumper for support

Back