How to: - D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: D35 C-clip Eliminator, Made Easy

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
...Look at the pics again...;)

...The spring is compressed between the the slip yoke and collar...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, so in that case... does the boot just not seal any more? My wheeling incorporates lots of mud and occasionally "requires" water crossings... but if the boot doesn't seal on that end it seems kind of pointless to even have it there, other than as a dust shield. I'm sorry if I'm off base on this, I just want to make sure I've got it understood so that if I need to go digging for a new boot I can do that before I assemble everything.

Thanks for all the information so far, guys- the D35 tear-down was very simple thanks to all the posts I dug out here. The C-clip elimination will hopefully be a waste of time (fingers crossed) but in the event something does break from my skinny 34s, it'll be much easier to swap things out.

..The picture shows a bad boot for the sake of a cutaway pic...

...The one end of the boot is not water tight but does keep mud/dirt/sand/ debris out but I rarely ever have my shafts submersed in mud/water...I'm sure you could use something like a shock boot to go over the collar and to be clamped on both ends to serve your purpose...:hammer:

I just put simple hose clamps around both ends of the boot itself with the spring inside it on mine. So far it's been working fine for the last 5 years, and is watertight.

How strong of a spring (pounds per inch) is the echo spring? I found a post on the 'net that stated a century spring c-810 or c-812 would work and those are 20-30 PPI.

I was able to find a spring that would fit in town, but When I measured it, its only around 12 PPI. (I used a digital bathroom scale and a ruler)

Anyone know how much force we really need?

I did manage to find the echo spring, but its not going to be here for a little while and I wanted to use what I have now, if possible. A friend of mine is picking it up from the Wichita metro area since no one around here carries it..

~Mark

...:scratch:..20-30 pounds, leaning toward the 30 sounds about right...

...Echo dealers usually will have it shipped to them locally for no charge and you can usually pick it up in 2-3 days...:dunno:

I just put simple hose clamps around both ends of the boot itself with the spring inside it on mine. So far it's been working fine for the last 5 years, and is watertight.

..Are you using a collar, bead weld, or a ?, as a spring stop???

...:scratch:..20-30 pounds, leaning toward the 30 sounds about right...

...Echo dealers usually will have it shipped to them locally for no charge and you can usually pick it up in 2-3 days...:dunno:

All the echo dealers around here want 1.5-2 weeks and $15 for it.. You'd think I lived 2 weeks from everywhere... I only tried a few places in the Phoenix metro area and they didnt' have it either..

I did find one place in Hauchuca(sp?) city that said bring down what I need to match they they may have one that will fit, but I couldn't get it through to him that this isn't going on a weed wacker.. its going on an axle..

~Mark

..Are you using a collar, bead weld, or a ?, as a spring stop???

The boot/hose clamps are the spring stop. It's not going anywhere with the hose clamps tightened around it.

Just an update.. My "echo" springs came in the mail today.. I measured them using a Ruler and a Fedex shipping scale. I cam up with 28 PPI..

~Mark

Just an update.. My "echo" springs came in the mail today.. I measured them using a Ruler and a Fedex shipping scale. I cam up with 28 PPI..

~Mark

..Did you also get measurements while you were using the ruler??..ID, OD, Length?

No, but I'll try to get the measurments tonight.. I bought 3 of them.. 1 to use, 1 for a spare, and 1 in case someone has a hard time finding one.

~Mark

...You make me proud to know you...:biggthump

...You make me proud to know you...:biggthump

Ummm.. Ok :)

Echo spring # 69621655730

Here are the #'s I got while measuring....

28 PPI
1.447 OD
1.213 ID
coil wire thickness .113

If they ask you what it is for.. Its the center spring from a 2 line Pro tap head from an echo II trimmer.

~Mark

...You are the man...:salute:

...Out of all the shops I tried I got the same run around like you did..Even when I got the spring I couldn't find out what it went to...:rolleyes:

(..What can I say...I get happy over the littlest of details..:bounce:...:D)

Here is some more info...

I had to cut off my old boot so i couldn't re-use it.

I used a bellows boot which I'm told is for rack and pinion steering... there are 2 in the box. I use the other one on the front drive shaft slip joint.

4193369469_280f14a37d_b.jpg

I cut the tips off the boot so it would fit tight on the shaft. I then put it on the shaft, past where the shaft collar goes (I already had the spring on by this time).
4193366797_3b06647de6_b.jpg

I then pulled the boot over the shaft collar and the spring....

4193367603_55623df600_b.jpg

I then reinstalled the shaft and pulled the end of the boot over the short side of the shaft.. Its tight enough I don't think I'm going to put the zip ties on the ends of the boot.

4193368593_e51a484b2a_b.jpg

~Mark

OK late to this game. what exactly does the C clip eliminator mod do besides the obvious. Does the spring apply force to the inner shaft to keep in in place? Am I right in understanding that the benefit is to be able to R&R the inner shaft incase you break it out on the trail?

Yup. At least that is why I did it.

And yes, the spring pushes the two halves apart so the inner shaft stays in the pumpkin without the use of the c clip.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It also makes it easier for working on the passenger side for replacing the outer seal and u joints...;)

Back