Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I need to replace my rear axles and was thinking of maybe using the superior super 88 kit.

Some places said it only works with disc brake axles.. but other places say disc and drum brakes.. I've seen it listed for 95+ explores and other say 96+..

this is the more common info I've found..

"The Super 8.8™ Axle System features a 35% Increase in strength over stock applications. The system fits 1995 and newer Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineer 8.8 axle housings with disc brakes and drum brakes. The kit comes complete with the following: Two USA-made 31 spline 4340 chrome molly axles. The axles feature a thicker flange and increased radius to the body for a real strength increase for those side hill moments. This design provides more strength than some aftermarket designs that only increase the thickness of the flange. Two heavy-duty machined axle retainers with spacer rings. Complete set of 3/4 ton Timken Roller Bearings™ and Seals. Two C-Clip eliminators, Ten 1/2-20 threaded studs and two axle badges to show your Superior pride. The Super 88™ Axle System requires some cutting but no welding. On average it can be installed in your driveway in under 2 hours."

does anyone know what the truth is? From what I can see, it should work fine on disc or drum brakes...

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be fine...Beacause they made this for all the Jeep guys swaping over to the 8.8 with discs. From what I Remember from a thread Rick had I think, there was not really a differance in axles or housings in the drum vs. Disc.

on a sader note, I looked into this when I swaped my FW 8.8 in and they have no plans to make axles for the FW 8.8, but they said I could get some custom done...yeah!:rolleyes:

I've read those, but the other c-clip eliminator kits are known to be bad for off-road (off camber)..

the super 88 kits are made to be used in off-road vehicles and are made to hold the side loads from off-camber use..

but.. according to the old Sema thread, the person at sema said disc brakes only. I've seen it listed as 95+, 96+ with disc only, with disc or drum brakes and even saw 1991+ explorers listed..

~Mark

...The first link in my last post is a pic on drums followed by a write up...

...You might contact these guys and get a confirmation though..:dunno:

"The system fits 1995 and newer Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineer 8.8 axle housings with disc brakes and drum brakes"
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=12999

...Edit: If you look at the small print it says disc brakes only...:confused:

Yup.. thats the problem I ran into..

It looks like everyone is just printing what others have said.. I've really only seen 3 or 4 different descriptions in all the different pages I've seen and they contradict each other to some extent.. so much for original thought.. :)

EDIT:
...The first link in my last post is a pic on drums followed by a write up...
Thats the pic I saw that made me think it would work on drums

~Mark

I've been doing some more digging and found some other worrisome info..

1990-1994 axle shaft 27-3/4" long
1990-1994 axle shaft 30-5/8" long

1995+ axle shaft 27-58" long
1995+ axle shaft 30-1/2" long

If thats true, I'd problalby have to cut down the tip of the axle.. which I saw someone with a prototype had to do..

Still looking around for more info..

thats according to http://www.tellico4x4.com/index.php/cPath/4282_4715_5049_1865

~Mark

Ok.. more info...

The pic in the thread above that shows what looks like drum brakes on the install is really a disc brake install. Those are the emergency brake shoes and you can see where the brake caliper would go on the right side... :(

~Mark

I'd say go with it -- of all else fails, as you mentioned, grind the inside end cauz you dont need the C-clip notch anymore.

...I just talked to Superior Axle and Gear for you...;)

...I spoke to Joel in the Technical division and he was able to shed some light on the subject...Hopefully I have this all correct...:scratch:

...The 91-94 X 8.8 came with drum brakes and is different from the 95 and newer 8.8 housing....
....This is the info he gave me on the difference..:dunno:...The axle shaft would work on one side but not the other due to length...He said the right side was the side in question...

...The bigger problem is that the 91-94 mounting plate for the the brake mounting plate is different and their kit was designed to bolt to that....Again, He assured me this kit will not fit the 91-94 8.8 due to the housing difference and the mounting plates...
________________________________________________________________________________

....The kit will fit on:
95-96 X's 8.8 with drums (just simply remove the 1/4" spacer and it fits fine)
95-01 X's 8.8 w/disc
97 and newer 8.8 Mounty's with disc...

...I hope this helps....But I know you could make it fit...:biggthump

Weird... I'm almost positive that the stock 95+ disc brakes bolt right on the 91-94 housing. I'm pretty sure that's what Paul B. has. Unless something was ground down without him knowing.

Have you thought about swapping to a 2nd gen's axle? The only difficulty I see the need to setup the gears again for the locker. But you'd get disc brakes so future brake jobs are a leisurely 25 minute ordeal ;)

...Joel said he was used to talking to J**P guys, maybe they just aren't creative, and it is a bolt on kit after you cut the ends off..:dunno:..I personally think it could work with minor mods...:hammer:

I've been thinking about it.. and since we have 380k miles on these shafts and haven't broken them.. and the ones I can get from Eric @ ericautopart (ef sponsor) are 1541h alloys (25% or so stronger than stock) I think I'm going to go that route..

I don't "need" disc brakes and the c-clip eliminator kit (with shafts) is $300+ more than a pair of 1541h shafts not to mention the cost of finding a disc brake rear end (another $200 or so) and then having to setup gears which I haven't learned how to do yet....

If I had more money I'd get the 2nd gen rear end, 4.56 gears and the super88 kit.. but as it is now I have too many projects that need money... and of course we have taken a big paycut thanks to the economic downturn...

Hopefully someone on EF will get the kit, but as it is now.. it doesn't seem to be "needed" for most of us... You rarely hear of an 8.8 shaft breaking..

~Mark

If I had more money I'd get the 2nd gen rear end, 4.56 gears and the super88 kit..

Hopefully someone on EF will get the kit,

Since I already have the 2nd gen 8.8, & 4.56 gears, I am seriously thinking about going this route for 2 reasons...

1) I can get the 5 on 5.5 axles they offer.

2) These axles will widen the width by 2".

Having this kit will allow me to keep the carrier with gears & locker I already own. I will not have to go to a full width 8.8, and transfer everything over.

I can use my existing brakes which are new including the E-brakes.

The C-clip eliminator used in this kit will not leak like other set ups will.

Peace of mind having the stronger (35%) axles is a bonus.

All these things add up to $$ if have to be replaced, so to me this kit seems worth it. :)

...Wow...It's been 2 1/2 years since my last post in here..

..In that time, I swapped in a 94 8.8 with drums n my Ranger and then later swapped in a 98 set of rear disc on that axle..

...I'm not sure why I was given the info from the manuf. in my last post but, I'm really not seeing why this wouldn't work on a first gen too..:dunno:

...Personally, I do not see a reason to justify the cost of adding this to an 8.8 myself...It is really rare to see a snapped 8.8 shaft and spares to carry are cheap and would still be carried with this upgrade...

...I think if I ever got to that point I would just throw in a 9"...:hammer:

Back