D44/9" Swap | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

D44/9" Swap

I got my donor vehicle home yesterday, It is a 78 f-150 with a 4" lift
I am going to the leave the axles full width. Intially I plan on putting a detroit locker in the 9 with yukon 4.56 gears and the 44 is getting a yukon 4.56's, ARB locker.
The Radius arm brackets from the f-150 will be bolted to explorers frame.
I would like to box and extend the radius arms with a heim joints

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good. Got a question for you. How much space is there from the diff housing to the engine mount xmember? Looks in the pic like its going to hit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TheRookie said:
Looking good. Got a question for you. How much space is there from the diff housing to the engine mount xmember? Looks in the pic like its going to hit.

Of the two vertical portions of the engine crossmember only the one in the rear is a problem. as it is there is about 1 1/2" of clearance. I will be bringing the torch out this weekend and making some room there. I will also be adding a bump stop.

jrgaylor said:
When I got the doubler I wasn't thinking of a SAS,but now that I am doing the SAS and having to regear the axles I don't really need the doubler but if it does not sell by the time I have to modify the drivelines then I am going to put it in.

Double it up Joe!

A few rear flex pics.I will have to install bumpstops in the rear,
9883IM001160.jpg

9883IM001154.jpg

Those are tired 35's
I still have a few things to do before I am ready for the road.

I am pretty much done with all the big stuff not it is time to fix the small things.
I have a rear axle shaft seal that is leaking, I knew I was needing axles but was going to wait till after the gears were broke in and I was changing the fluid to get new ones. Need to bleed the brakes and mount all the shocks.
And the guy who I had set up my axles was taking longer than he said so,Being a foreman in a industrail sweatshop I leaned on him, and now I don't like the pattern on the front gears and he did not clean out the axle tubes and they are full of crud.
here is a few more pictures from today
9883IM001163.jpg

9883IM001162.jpg

9883IM001161.jpg

It is ramping close to what I did before with my TTB setup.

looks good. what tires are you getting next? looks like they are shot.

Because I am wanting to keep my CG low and the worn out 35's fit so well in the fenderwells that I thought about just running my almost new 33's BFG MT, they are very close to the same size as the tired 35's.
Should I buy brand new tires they will be swamper IROKS :thumbsup:

Got the rear gears gears finally broke in and fluid changed and operated the rear locker for the first time, man that is next haven the locker on a switch :D I also installed a James Duff skid plate on the 9" that thing is stout!

Attachments

• IM001193.JPG
    IM001193.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IM001192.JPG
    IM001192.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 220

Back