Dana 44RS Front Gear Pattern Pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44RS Front Gear Pattern Pictures

yostyexplorer94

Yost Offroad
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
South Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Callsign
yosty
100_2084.jpg

100_2085.jpg

I moved the pinion away from the ring gear to get this pattern. Backlash is .006". This is my first gear install and just looking for some advise so I can learn to decipher these patterns better. Does the pinion need moved further away from the ring gear? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bolt it all together and drive it like you stole it.
The Drive and Coast pattern is centered and there is clearance between pattern and top of gear.
According to the pattern I would not move pinion. The toe and heel looks good.
If you add or delete shims to the pinion then the toe and heel pattern would change from the correct position it is now.
I think you know that it looks good ;)

Just make sure you follow the manufacturers break in procedure. Especially if it's a high numerically ratio. Then and only then...Drive it like you stole it.

Looks great! setting backlash can be a PITA but that looks good, looks like a new locker? if so did it come with instructions on setting the backlash with appropriate pictures or no?

I think you know that it looks good
I guess I was staring at it too long. The coast side was throwing me off cause it has the line at the root of the tooth so I was thinking it was a little too deep.

It is the 5.13 ratio.

Looks about right to me..
I can't believe it because I didn't put near the time into the gear install as I thought I would!

looks like a new locker? if so did it come with instructions on setting the backlash with appropriate pictures or no?
It is a Detroit. I just set it up with the specs for the ring and pinion. There was no instructions with the Detroit that says to do anything different.

Thanks all. I am going to bolt it together and then move on to regearing the 8.8 rear.

Back