-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Sorry, you got the wrong year Silverado for my link.
Concept still stands for the 10 bolt, the only difference 14 bolt wise vs my obs chevy vs the nbs Chevy was the spring perches, just gotta move those a lil' and call it a day pretty much, so it's close to a bolt in besides that and the usual yoke too. Some of my family drives that gen of Silverado, which I tend to end up working on, so if something comes up that link could still be handy for those.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to agree the 8.8 is better and stronger than the 10 bolt and that's coming from a guy that loves GM products

Alright...let it begin...officially got my tool list mostly together, and thanks to @Lee's Automotive , I'm getting some help with getting more oem parts to do everything, soon enough.... next paycheck I'll probably start ordering a thing or two! Will be a slow process but it'll get there! I thank everyone for helping as much as ya have so far, and look forward to receiving whatever needed help later as well!

20240329_140816.jpg

Are you rebuilding like you mentioned earlier?

The K&N is on sale for $300 right now until middle of April Cold Air Intake - High-flow, Roto-mold Tube - FORD EXPLORER, V6-4.0L (I know you said it isn't worth it already but hey, it looks cool under the hood)
I will be rebuilding some things while it is out, like gaskets for the oil pan, valve covers, probably go ahead and swap my t-stat housing for the aluminum one vs the plastic one I put in urgently last time, etc.. mostly just for the timing components and everything that goes with them, but it is at 227k, so other stuff and don't hurt and any suggestions on stuff to go ahead and do while it's out would be appreciated, even tranny stuff since I'll be able to get around it easier too without an engine in there.

$300 is a lot, gawlee, but maybe, definitely looks fun, but yeah, not sure it's worth the cash if it's just for looks.

You're positive that one shiuld fit though right? Maybe my signals just bad but I'm not seeing a fitment thing for it
Yeah the 57-2528 should fit. It isn't obvious on the sit but you can scroll the "vehicle applications" and you can see it's in the list. They even send you a sheet with the dyno results in the box, and did it on a 99 explorer. For some reason that graph isn't on the product listing like I remember..

1712003707255.png

If you do get it, make sure to take note that there are different sized hose clamps. I also had to buy a hose clamp for the hose that connects to the PCV (you might not have to), and that little hose nipple they supply needs to be hand tight with a wrench, not just with your hands like the instructions say.

Yeah the 57-2528 should fit. It isn't obvious on the sit but you can scroll the "vehicle applications" and you can see it's in the list. They even send you a sheet with the dyno results in the box, and did it on a 99 explorer. For some reason that graph isn't on the product listing like I remember..

View attachment 451054

If you do get it, make sure to take note that there are different sized hose clamps. I also had to buy a hose clamp for the hose that connects to the PCV (you might not have to), and that little hose nipple they supply needs to be hand tight with a wrench, not just with your hands like the instructions say.
Well sweet! I appreciate it! Yeah the vehicle applications thing wouldn't even open on my phone when ya first sent it, guess my signal was too low at the time. Have to see how long it's on sale for and maybe I'll nab it.

Well sweet! I appreciate it! Yeah the vehicle applications thing wouldn't even open on my phone when ya first sent it, guess my signal was too low at the time. Have to see how long it's on sale for and maybe I'll nab it.
All their intake kits are $50 off until the 15th of this month :)

All their intake kits are $50 off until the 15th of this month :)
Sweet, once again, appreciate it! I'll take what power I can get, even 1hp makes a difference!

I've been thinking about one of these for my 1994. I had to relocate the air filter and intake when I did my SAS, and used a 1999 intake and filter. I added the pre-heater California crap so it would pass smog. Would have to switch them back if I ever needed to smog it again before it gets registered in Arizona. I just had is checked last month, which I'm hoping is the last smog ever for the Explorer. My 1999 intake is starting to degrade so this would make a nice replacement indeed.

I built mine to seal up on the hood and get its air from inside the fender
This dropped my intake temps and my air filter is lasting longer now
We used 16 gauge sheet metal to make it Used cardboard aided drafting And some heating duct insulation
Held together with rivets
We put RTV on all of the edges before riveting them together
received_3010168395780090.jpeg
received_935173554546906_kindlephoto-76090378.jpg
received_1210387399739593 (2024-04-01T19_53_52.000)_kindlephoto-80639810.jpg

I built mine to seal up on the hood and get its air from inside the fender
This dropped my intake temps and my air filter is lasting longer now
We used 16 gauge sheet metal to make it Used cardboard aided drafting And some heating duct insulation
Held together with rivets
We put RTV on all of the edges before riveting them together
View attachment 451068View attachment 451069
That's actually sick!! You'll have to send me some pictures of all that if ya can!

That's actually sick!! You'll have to send me some pictures of all that if ya can!
Don't really have any other pictures than the ones above
Silicone pc that we used was bought off amazon it's 4" inside diameter
We made the air box out of cardboard then flattened it out cut it from sheet metal bent it up Into an air box
After it was all assembled and riveted together we painted it black inside and out
We used a 5" hole saw to cut the Hole in the inner fender there was already a spot there for a air intake I just wanted a bigger hole to Fit my silicone coupler
Then we covered the airbox with insulation tape neatly
It installs the same location as the original air box The bolts down to the original air box plate
After that we shut the Hood slowly Then trimmed the top of the box a little at a time in different areas till it matched the hood then we installed Weather stripping
After the weather stripping was installed we then put chalk Weather stripping Close the hood And tested to see the seal. A few adjustments and we had a perfect seal
Now we glued the weather stripping down To the airbox
The air intake tube is made from 4"id mandrel bent aluminum pipe
We had to make barbs on the end of the aluminum pipe so we made our own pliers for that
received_1785441681794043 (2024-04-01T20_11_39.000)_kindlephoto-81622423.jpg

Don't really have any other pictures than the ones above
Silicone pc that we used was bought off amazon it's 4" inside diameter
We made the air box out of cardboard then flattened it out cut it from sheet metal bent it up Into an air box
After it was all assembled and riveted together we painted it black inside and out
We used a 5" hole saw to cut the Hole in the inner fender there was already a spot there for a air intake I just wanted a bigger hole to Fit my silicone coupler
Then we covered the airbox with insulation tape neatly
It installs the same location as the original air box The bolts down to the original air box plate
After that we shut the Hood slowly Then trimmed the top of the box a little at a time in different areas till it matched the hood then we installed Weather stripping
After the weather stripping was installed we then put chalk Weather stripping Close the hood And tested to see the seal. A few adjustments and we had a perfect seal
Now we glued the weather stripping down To the airbox
The air intake tube is made from 4"id mandrel bent aluminum pipe
We had to make barbs on the end of the aluminum pipe so we made our own pliers for that
View attachment 451072
Now that's interesting and some good info! Especially the custom tool bit, that I'll have to do something else for. Long as there's no welding involved I should be able to get it done, or something similar at least lol
Appreciate all that!!

Now that's interesting and some good info! Especially the custom tool bit, that I'll have to do something else for. Long as there's no welding involved I should be able to get it done, or something similar at least lol
Appreciate all that!!
There was no welding involved
The custom tool is a simple pair of wire crimpers from the auto parts store We just grinded it down with a grinder
Both sets of plyers in the picture once looked the same

There was no welding involved
The custom tool is a simple pair of wire crimpers from the auto parts store We just grinded it down with a grinder
Both sets of plyers in the picture once looked the same
Oh, that's easier to make than I thought lol
Well, guess I got some projects ahead! Gotta nab the intake at some point I guess

Alright so: air intake, timing chains and all of they're related junk, a few gaskets like the oil pan gasket, what else do y'all suggest doing while I will have the engine out? To both engine and tranny, even though the tranny will be staying in. Been a long while since I looked around and messed with the aftermarket available for the 4.0 SOHC, remember there not being much, but whatever else y'all think is a good idea.

Alright so: air intake, timing chains and all of they're related junk, a few gaskets like the oil pan gasket, what else do y'all suggest doing while I will have the engine out? To both engine and tranny, even though the tranny will be staying in. Been a long while since I looked around and messed with the aftermarket available for the 4.0 SOHC, remember there not being much, but whatever else y'all think is a good idea.
Clean or replace your oil spray bars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back