-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Okay, some planning progress made, I'm just going to grab a junkyard 4.0 sohc with the lowest miles I can find, then rebuild that and have it swapped in within a day! Especially now that my lil' brother got a job at the yard I use, so I can get it for a tad cheaper too, almost considered doing the 5.0 for that reason, but I really just need to put money aside right now so I'm going the cheaper route, plus I'm used to the sohc lol

Any links y'all suggest for parts to rebuild it? Any upgrades ya recommend throwing in? Really could use 'em since I find so much mixed info on whos parts to use.
Going to see about doing a cold air intake, the aluminum t-stat housing, performance plugs and wires, etc... but anything else yall suggest to spruce it up? Like my rados 350, may get it tuned slightly as well just to revive it more so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, some planning progress made, I'm just going to grab a junkyard 4.0 sohc with the lowest miles I can find, then rebuild that and have it swapped in within a day! Especially now that my lil' brother got a job at the yard I use, so I can get it for a tad cheaper too, almost considered doing the 5.0 for that reason, but I really just need to put money aside right now so I'm going the cheaper route, plus I'm used to the sohc lol

Any links y'all suggest for parts to rebuild it? Any upgrades ya recommend throwing in? Really could use 'em since I find so much mixed info on whos parts to use.
Going to see about doing a cold air intake, the aluminum t-stat housing, performance plugs and wires, etc... but anything else yall suggest to spruce it up? Like my rados 350, may get it tuned slightly as well just to revive it more so.
Motorcraft for timing components spark plugs and wires and fel pro for gaskets also aluminum thermostat housing and a motorcraft t stat with gates or motorcraft hoses also replace the pcv breather box in the valley and the knock sensor with a bosch part and tbh id reseal the whole engine while it's out minus head gaskets

Motorcraft for timing components spark plugs and wires and fel pro for gaskets also aluminum thermostat housing and a motorcraft t stat with gates or motorcraft hoses also replace the pcv breather box in the valley and the knock sensor with a bosch part and tbh id reseal the whole engine while it's out minus head gaskets
Yep, that's the idea, all the preventive maintenance I can while it's out of the bay. As said, definitely doing that t-stat housing, definitely probably going motor craft for the chains, but I am finding more performance oriented stuff for the plugs wires and ignition coil like I had before (doesnt add much if any at all I know but every lil' bit counts), but yeah, definitely could use the help finding gaskets and sealants for everything. Appreciate everything there!

Yep, that's the idea, all the preventive maintenance I can while it's out of the bay. As said, definitely doing that t-stat housing, definitely probably going motor craft for the chains, but I am finding more performance oriented stuff for the plugs wires and ignition coil like I had before (doesnt add much if any at all I know but every lil' bit counts), but yeah, definitely could use the help finding gaskets and sealants for everything. Appreciate everything there!
No problem bro also in my experience the motorcraft plugs wires and coil pack is about as good as it gets with these engines and yeah ill DM you the links to everything

No problem bro also in my experience the motorcraft plugs wires and coil pack is about as good as it gets with these engines and yeah ill DM you the links to everything
fair enough lol
Once again, I appreciate it!!

I'd drop the cold air intake idea
The truck comes with one lol

I'd drop the cold air intake idea
The truck comes with one lol
Fair enough by technicality, a hopefully better flowing one if there is that option lol

Fair enough by technicality, a hopefully better flowing one if there is that option lol
As long as you get the air from outside of the engine bay you're good

I just went ahead and made my own
1693875303910.png

Do the SOHC if you leave it at the stock internal level, to upgrade any of that will cost a lot more. The 302 is cheaper to build above the stock level versus the V6, but for both the cost of full tuning is a requirement. So plan the budget well, that should decide what can be done with the engine/trans and upgrades. I like the V6 in stock form, the V8 is rock solid, but for the high cost of real upgrading, the 302 is much better than the V6. That should make the choice easier, stick with the near stock level that keeps the budget feasible, or break the bank and throw big money at a full 302/trans/exhaust/tuning project.

Overall yeah, that's the idea, it wont be far from stock like my current one sits, but it'll definitely get a tune just to help some, not sure how much but at least that. Definitely want to stay cheaper where I can, but I do want quality parts which I'll pay some extra for if I need to. A V8 swap is definitely in the future, but yeah, not right now due to the costs and complications. Just going to buy a junker engine, buy all the rebuild kits and all, and then either do it myself or see how much a shop will do it for since they dont have to pull the engine or anything this time like I was getting quoted for before. After that's done and it's in the truck and running, a tune definitely wont be far behind just for the extra help and hopeful more efficiency.
Still gotta get the Rado squirt away, which if I can stop having other crap come up, should be officially about done with the next few paychecks. Meaning I can have the X project started before November if all goes well. Stock level besides a couple lil' things and a tune for sure, shouldn't cost too crazy much I'd hope.

You need a 302.

@DemonMudder There used to exist a K&N high-flow intake kit; if you modify (read: cut up) the stock intake box, you can fit the K&N setup in there. Not sure how much it improves flow, but the filter area is huuuge. I've got one on my Sport.

The best in the past that was available was the Volant kit for 2nd gen's, they had two versions. But I doubt these can be found now, I got this one in 2006.

I have the one for 98-01's, on my 99 SOHC Limited. That air cleaner was fairly large, it fit tightly in the corner space. But inside is nothing special, it didn't come with an air filter. So you choose your own, typically a cone style, which there's plenty of room inside.

Projectthread082.JPG

Yeah, @Josh P a 302 would be nice, and as said, was tempting since I can get a discount on stuff at the junkyard now, but the issue there is that that's a lot of work to swap in that I'm not ready for let alone do I want to throw the time and money at. That involves everything from the engine, tranny, trans case, and such, and that's if I dont go ahead and 4wd it like I already have vs awd right off the bat, then you're talking even more headaches on hoping I can find parts. Currently as said, just want her back on the road since my current daily is about to become more smileage than mileage, plus I miss the ol' girl; that and too often my family has a vehicle break down and then needs to borrow someone elses, so it would be nice for us to have a legitimate spare vehicle. She will be V8 swapped down the line, just easiest and quickest to nab another 4.0 to build up some and throw in.

The best in the past that was available was the Volant kit for 2nd gen's, they had two versions. But I doubt these can be found now, I got this one in 2006.

I have the one for 98-01's, on my 99 SOHC Limited. That air cleaner was fairly large, it fit tightly in the corner space. But inside is nothing special, it didn't come with an air filter. So you choose your own, typically a cone style, which there's plenty of room inside.

View attachment 445312
And @DintDobbs , That exactly would be awesome, I used to look for those, both the k&n and the volant, but like ya said, dont seem to really make it anymore. Most threads I found led to people making their own versions, which I'd rather just leave stock if that's going to be the case.

That's a good answer, leave the stock air cleaner in place and spend time on the bigger items. The cost for just a stock type rebuild is high, finding a good low mileage used engine is the cheapest way. But like everything else, not much is out there to be found.

If you have good connections, try to find a low mileage 1987-1992 Lincoln Mark VII. Any of those with under 150k miles is a great donor for the shortblock, which doesn't need to be rebuilt. Mustang 302's are worn out very fast, in all variations, Lincoln 302's are rarely abused or revved past the stock shift points(4200-4500rpm). My big project Explorer is going to begin with my old 92 302 engine, it has 54k on it now. With the front and rear main seals changed, I can put the stock cam and rebuilt heads from my 98 onto it, and use that until I can build a nice new engine.

@DemonMudder Found the receipt, it's called the K&N 57 Series FIPK, part number 57-2528. Apparently they still make 'em, or at least there are still plenty of them around. Not sure it's worth the $350 they want for it, but the $300 I paid at the time is worth closer to $500 in today's economy, so it's a buyer's market!

We'll see, nothings set in stone yet but yeah, the 4.0 would be the easiest and cheapest option for now. But if I can find one like that within the time frame, maybe...

Ahh, yeah, ain't worth $350!! lol

You know you want 8 cylinders and a manual transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know you want 8 cylinders and a manual transmission.
Even I want that but I love my SOHC and those high shift points but I would love to have a build like @donalds his explorer is bada$$

Back