-Deathrow Update Log- | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

-Deathrow Update Log-

Even I want that but I love my SOHC and those high shift points but I would love to have a build like @donalds his explorer is bada$$
He does have a sweet ride that we all envy. A 302 with boost would put any set of tires on death row.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He does have a sweet ride that we all envy. A 302 with boost would put any set of tires on death row.
True man I love the 302 my best friend has a 00 EB with the 302 and it's a blast to drive but man those 6k shifts on the SOHC are addictive now I want to find a ranger like a 2010 through 2012 and put a 302 in it with a manual that would be a blast to drive

True man I love the 302 my best friend has a 00 EB with the 302 and it's a blast to drive but man those 6k shifts on the SOHC are addictive now I want to find a ranger like a 2010 through 2012 and put a 302 in it with a manual that would be a blast to drive
If you build a 302 you can have it shift at 6k easily, it just needs a better camshaft/heads/intake, and exhaust. The SOHC has over 9.5:1 compression which is why it makes better power per C.I., but better 302 pistons are very common. The cost to upgrade those parts is definitely high, but it'd be much more to upgrade those of the 4.0 SOHC. SBF parts are really popular and common, even with the parts delays. The project I'm going with will be a 337 SBF, and shift in the 6k range; with a 2.6 liter blower, it won't need too much rpm.

A member of the Corral posted a link to a modified Porsche that shifts as high as 11k, that was a sweet video. Here's a 350hp car that weighs 1860lbs;

If you build a 302 you can have it shift at 6k easily, it just needs a better camshaft/heads/intake, and exhaust. The SOHC has over 9.5:1 compression which is why it makes better power per C.I., but better 302 pistons are very common. The cost to upgrade those parts is definitely high, but it'd be much more to upgrade those of the 4.0 SOHC. SBF parts are really popular and common, even with the parts delays. The project I'm going with will be a 337 SBF, and shift in the 6k range; with a 2.6 liter blower, it won't need too much rpm.

A member of the Corral posted a link to a modified Porsche that shifts as high as 11k, that was a sweet video. Here's a 350hp car that weighs 1860lbs;

If I was going to have a light car with an insane amount of power, I'd get a 70s MGB and put a 363 stroker under the hood. 500+ hp in a 1700 lb car sounds fun.

If I was going to have a light car with an insane amount of power, I'd get a 70s MGB and put a 363 stroker under the hood. 500+ hp in a 1700 lb car sounds fun.
It's been done...
1693959893954.png

Sort of. Lol.

1965 Shelby Cobra​

Yeah, look up the Sunbeam Tiger from 1964-67, the first 289 version before the Cobra.

Yeah, look up the Sunbeam Tiger from 1964-67, the first 289 version before the Cobra.

I have 8 cylinders, just in the wrong truck! no manuals though lol

Definitely would love a V8 in her and a manual is just always fun, but not right now lol

As said, V8 is still on the table as an option, we'll see what's available when that time comes. May be able to get a cheap donor too if they allow me to buy it before it goes into the yard. Maybe..?

20230701_105113(0).jpg

I have 8 cylinders, just in the wrong truck! no manuals though lol

Definitely would love a V8 in her and a manual is just always fun, but not right now lol

As said, V8 is still on the table as an option, we'll see what's available when that time comes. May be able to get a cheap donor too if they allow me to buy it before it goes into the yard. Maybe..?

View attachment 445389
Not a bad looking motor bro and yep SOHC is my preferred choice I love these engines

Not a bad looking motor bro and yep SOHC is my preferred choice I love these engines
I do definitely love the sohc, but I cant lie the V8 is definitely easier and cheaper to upgrade, plus more reliable in the long run typically. Plus it's an 8, it sounds better lol
I mean, that's only of I get lucky enough to do it anyway, probably stay sohc

I do definitely love the sohc, but I cant lie the V8 is definitely easier and cheaper to upgrade, plus more reliable in the long run typically. Plus it's an 8, it sounds better lol
I mean, that's only of I get lucky enough to do it anyway, probably stay sohc
Yes i have to agree with all of that bro

Yes i have to agree with all of that bro
Yeah, but that's all complicated when a 4406 is semi difficult to find in good shape and hook in. So to keep my 4wd it's more work than it's worth right now. So as said, sohc is still the most likely candidate

Yeah, but that's all complicated when a 4406 is semi difficult to find in good shape and hook in. So to keep my 4wd it's more work than it's worth right now. So as said, sohc is still the most likely candidate
Yeah SOHC is the best bet right now bro

Alright, got my other rig about to be fully setup and done next week, then it's just lil' side stuff to do on that one like brakes and a bigger tranny cooler. But I got a trip up to Tennessee to see some family at the end of February, and I want the X for it: one for the mileage vs the Rado, more comfortable, plus I have 4wd if I were to need it. So, I'm officially back in the works and planning on fixing her...finally...but I've only got about a month, month and a half if I push it to do it. So, either I do it, or a shop does it. I'd like to do it myself but if I do have to pull the engine then I probably cant, ain't got the space and definitely wont chance the time on that since I'm working two jobs. Working on getting things disconnected to get valve covers off to at least get a look at the chain guides and go from there. Though this drivers side one is definitely presenting to be more annoying than I'd like it to have been. Very soon though, this time for real, shes coming back. Man am I not used to have such a cluttered engine bay, gotta get used to that again

Taking Deathrow off Death Row, are we? Raise a cheer, people!

Taking Deathrow off Death Row, are we? Raise a cheer, people!
That is a the plan! Sadly it is being pushed to be a longer project. Still doing what I can and putting parts back in the cart to start working on collecting, but it wont be before my trip, ain't no way I can make enough dough for that. By this summer though, I hopefully will have her back up and running, hopefully a good chunk before! Worked on cleaning out the interior some today of spare parts and the rados equipment especially, so my seats are open again, though the passenger side seat may forever have leaf spring indents in the foam now lol

But she'll get there, in due time for sure, after this trip once the Pearl is fully dealt with and pretty much settled, Deathrow is getting kicked into high gear again, the freaking inflation though I'm noticing on prices from looking back then and looking now lol

Anyone ever slap a GM 10 bolt rear in one of these? Since I'm swapping my Rados 10 bolt for a 14 bolt, I'll have a pretty much perfectly good and recently rebuilt 10 bolt with an open 4.10 to use. So maybe to the X it goes...?? It'll need a locker by then for sure! Probably not by a whole lot, but should be stronger than the current X one, plus it'll be wider which is fun lol

A GM 10 bolt would be a downgrade. The 8.8 is a better axle. 10 bolt is GM's cheap axle. I junked the 10 bolt in my 1500 Silverado and swapped in a baby 14 bolt. You would also have a six lug bolt pattern to deal with.

Baby 14 bolt into a Silverado is a bolt in swap.

Well I know the 10 bolt is usually trash in the rado, was hopeful it was at least a lil' nicer than the ford one but I guess not! Guess it'll just get sold instead. Actually because the rado is 2wd, I would actually get to keep the 5 lug if I did, its just 5x5 vs the ford 5x4.5. Yeah, got a fully float to throw in later, some intriguing knowledge there though, appreciate it!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back