Deep Base Type Noise - Tires? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deep Base Type Noise - Tires?

It would be interesting to know what your engine compartment temps are now that you have acoustic insulation that converts sound to heat. That temp is closely engineered that's why the PIU has no sound insulation pad from the factory. In the winter probably not an issue but in summer might be over the limit.

Hopefully your OK.
As one would expect engine compartment temps are not an issue in the western new york climate this time of year.
I'll monitor this next summer. Thanks for the insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m guessing it’ll be fine. If it was a problem in NY with the insulation you wouldn’t be able to drive one in the desert even without the insulation.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
As I indicated in the prior post my brand new 2021 Platinum with oem Pirelli 275/45 R21 had a very harsh ride, very loud thumping/slapping tire noise over road surface joints and imperfections and a deep base rumble under 50 mph especially upon deceleration.
With the aid of member comments and insights on this forum I decided to install winter tires on 18" wheels. The 18" wheel size is available on the XLT and Timberline trims. The oem wheels from Ford are very expensive so I decided to go the aftermarket wheel route.
I installed 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak Winter tires (P265/65 R18) on 18" aftermarket American Eagle rims from TireRack.
The results have left me speechless again!
The vehicle is now almost dead silent over the same road surfaces.
There remains a slight deceleration rumble at speeds under 30 but in general the 65 profile tires (aspect ratio) have vastly improved ride quality and significantly improved interior acoustics. I suspected the low profile Pirellis were contributing to the rough ride and unpleasant cabin acoustics based on input from my local tire dealer and members on this forum. My local Dunn Tire dealer looked at the vehicle but unfortunately could not locate a reasonably priced 18" aftermarket wheels to my liking.
I surmise the approximate 40% increase in sidewall height and the Blizzak rubber formulation is quiet for two reasons. They are not generation noise and they are significantly reducing the transmission of road surface induced vibrations and noise.
Here's a comparison of specs for both tire/wheel sets. The Blizzaks are listed first followed by the oem Pirellis.

View attachment 422625

View attachment 422621 View attachment 422634

Shortly after installing these I brought the vehicle back to the dealership and discussed the ride improvements with the sales team and senior management. They said they would look into providing assistance with my purchase.
I received check today from my dealership covering the cost of these wheels and tires.

Shortly after installing these I brought the vehicle back to the dealership and discussed the ride improvements with the sales team and senior management. They said they would look into providing assistance with my purchase.
I received check today from my dealership covering the cost of these wheels and tires.
Good to hear. And sounds like your dealer provides great service.

Wow, very impressive customer service from your dealership.

I am quite confident in saying that most dealerships would not do that, especially without Ford deeming there was a problem.

It would appear that your Platinum doesn't have it then. Like I said it is very noticeable on my St when switching from normal to sport. Thanks for checking and letting us know.
Guys - got to get into your cars.
Read the OG
Read the window sticker
And if they are doing it to the Mustang, and have been doing it for 12 years, that I have 100% first hand knowledge of, why would they not have it on your cars, especially the ST.

Look here:

now what you do on that car is open the window and accelerate and then accelerate whitht he windows closed

OMG they don't want you to do that cause it will confuse the Noise cancel system for the piped in fake engine noise.

BTW - that is the top on google, gt mustang sound tube delete

All this talk about insulating the dash doen no good if you have a direct conduit of engine noise into the passenger compartment. On the high end cars its white noise - that is its supposed to cancel out rub strips and all sorts of road noise that was the OP complaint.

Guys - got to get into your cars.
Read the OG
Read the window sticker
And if they are doing it to the Mustang, and have been doing it for 12 years, that I have 100% first hand knowledge of, why would they not have it on your cars, especially the ST.

Look here:

now what you do on that car is open the window and accelerate and then accelerate whitht he windows closed

OMG they don't want you to do that cause it will confuse the Noise cancel system for the piped in fake engine noise.

BTW - that is the top on google, gt mustang sound tube delete

All this talk about insulating the dash doen no good if you have a direct conduit of engine noise into the passenger compartment. On the high end cars its white noise - that is its supposed to cancel out rub strips and all sorts of road noise that was the OP complaint.
What does any of this have to do with a 6th generation Explorer? Have you ever even been in one?

I'm speechless - as noted in the report below from my selling dealerships service team. According to FORD the acoustic issues are a feature, not a defect.

View attachment 422423
YES, the FORD is right except it IS a DEFECT.
This phenomena can be described as "Low frequency resonance", which the vehicle amplified the sound of frequency among 50Hz ~ 200 Hz, just like the range of a drum sound.
The occurrence of "low frequency resonance" is very complex. It is related with the geometrical shape, the materials, the interior decorations of the cabin/vehicle.
Basically, the "low frequency resonance" mostly decided by the design of the vehicle - "born by nature" or a "characteristic". That means, ford can do NOTHING for the current generation explorer.

Here are two articles/papers describing such problems.

I got a 2021 Platinum Explorer (with 2.3T engine. Yes, platinum with 2.3T, not in the north america market). When driving on gravel road, the low frequency resonance is very clear and annoying. If the windows are opened, the resonance will be relieved slightly but still annoying. I guess that the opened windows reduced the cavity resonance effects.

I've found many complaints about the low frequency resonance in the largest car forum in my country since Oct. 2020. I also came here to find whether there were same issues. Once I doubted whether I could bear the low frequency resonance. I took some hearing tests and found that due to my old age I wasn't sensitive to the low frequency sound. And my child does not often take my car. So i bought an explorer a half year ago.

If anybody wants to evaluate your hearing sensitivity about low frequency sound, you can take the test: The Ultimate Bass Test | Ultra Low Frequency Range Test
But be aware: 1. better to use a large speaker (cellphone is not recommended); 2. ask your child (not kid) or a teenager to test first and to set the proper volume level. then compare your volume level with the child/teenager. Basically, the child or teenager can hear more frequencies than an adult

Just leased 2020 Explorer XLT . Within a week of having the car I complained to dealer that car is very noisey when hitting the littlest bumps even driving slow speed. The noise is like a deep base sound like deep noise from a radio it hurts your ears. They thought it was the tires and told me Ford put a yellow foam inside the tires to help with the ride to make the ride quieter at assembly at the factory. Long story short they said they couldn’t scrape the stuff out of tires and therefore swapped my tires with another new car on lot. That didn’t fix problem. Then they ordered me new tires and when they took the second set of tires off of my car to put new ordered tires on they notice that these tires didn’t have the yellow foam . End result ford told me it’s a characteristic of the cars and there is now nothing more they can do.
I am so disgusted new car and now I stuck with getting sick every time I drive because it gives me migraine headaches .

anyone else have same issue bc they are telling me I am the first to complain. For a 47,000 Car it is made if cheap plastic and I am very unhappy I bought this car . This is my 5th ford and honestly the first time I have ever had a problem with Ford.
2021 XLT, 14,000 miles, same sound, Hankook tires

2021 XLT,15,000 miles , no sounds..Michelin tires

What does any of this have to do with a 6th generation Explorer? Have you ever even been in one?
lou - too many times, pure junk, that's why they pump in fake sounds to make you fell better.

Any update or resolution to this sound? That same low frequency bass noise happens on my 2020 ST. More noticeable when shifting in drive or reverse and foot on brake. I'm convinced it started after my drivers side catalytic was replaced. It is an uncomfortable sound to deal with.

Any update or resolution to this sound? That same low frequency bass noise happens on my 2020 ST. More noticeable when shifting in drive or reverse and foot on brake. I'm convinced it started after my drivers side catalytic was replaced. It is an uncomfortable sound to deal with.If dealer blew you off that
Did you take to dealer and complain the Noise Cancelation System is causing weird noises to enter car? Alternative call the lemonlaw lawyer in MI, he likes these kind of cases. Ford should fix this - end of story.

Did you take to dealer and complain the Noise Cancelation System is causing weird noises to enter car? Alternative call the lemonlaw lawyer in MI, he likes these kind of cases. Ford should fix this - end of story.
I haven't read anything indicating/confirming that the Active Noise Cancellation system is causing "weird noises to enter the car". Also, the ST does not have the ANC. That is for the Aviator. The ST has Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE).

Peter

Any update or resolution to this sound? That same low frequency bass noise happens on my 2020 ST. More noticeable when shifting in drive or reverse and foot on brake. I'm convinced it started after my drivers side catalytic was replaced. It is an uncomfortable sound to deal with.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I see that you have also posted in the thread on Driveline Vibration. I'm not sure how would apply when you say you notice that and/or the Deep Base noise with your foot on the brake. Have you tried to have your dealer diagnose it?

Peter

I haven't read anything indicating/confirming that the Active Noise Cancellation system is causing "weird noises to enter the car". Also, the ST does not have the ANC. That is for the Aviator. The ST has Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE).

Peter
Its the same thing. In the case of the engine sound enhancer there are generally two parts, a tube off the air induction system piped right into the cowl, and then the secondary electronic part. On the Moostang - you could easily detect very odd difference and faked sounds if you lower the window some.

I don't understand how they are considered as being the same. The ST has an engine sound enhancer, meaning it adds sound while the Aviator has noise cancellation, meaning it suppresses sound. They appear to be opposite systems to me.

Peter

I don't understand how they are considered as being the same. The ST has an engine sound enhancer, meaning it adds sound while the Aviator has noise cancellation, meaning it suppresses sound. They appear to be opposite systems to me.

Peter
You need to understand how they work, in this case apparantly making noise when it should not. Been there Done that on more than one frod.

Just leased 2020 Explorer XLT . Within a week of having the car I complained to dealer that car is very noisey when hitting the littlest bumps even driving slow speed. The noise is like a deep base sound like deep noise from a radio it hurts your ears. They thought it was the tires and told me Ford put a yellow foam inside the tires to help with the ride to make the ride quieter at assembly at the factory. Long story short they said they couldn’t scrape the stuff out of tires and therefore swapped my tires with another new car on lot. That didn’t fix problem. Then they ordered me new tires and when they took the second set of tires off of my car to put new ordered tires on they notice that these tires didn’t have the yellow foam . End result ford told me it’s a characteristic of the cars and there is now nothing more they can do.
I am so disgusted new car and now I stuck with getting sick every time I drive because it gives me migraine headaches .

anyone else have same issue bc they are telling me I am the first to complain. For a 47,000 Car it is made if cheap plastic and I am very unhappy I bought this car . This is my 5th ford and honestly the first time I have ever had a problem with Ford.
I here the same noise on my 2021 ranger xlt . I notice it wen the car is at 1500 rpm and my foot slightly on the gas. Told it was the characteristics of the exhaust.. not sure what to do just bought this truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I here the same noise on my 2021 ranger xlt . I notice it wen the car is at 1500 rpm and my foot slightly on the gas. Told it was the characteristics of the exhaust.. not sure what to do just bought this truck
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you posted this in the Ford Ranger forum as well to see if other owners have the same issue? 2019 - 2022 Ford Ranger

Peter

Back