Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, I also bought my EX without the towing package. Got the factory one installed at Jim Keay in Ottawa. Cost me a bit more than a hide -a-hitch but looks so much nicer when not in use.

It doesn't add the Tow button or the Trans cooler. But when I spoke with the guy at the dealership, he said unless you tow 5000 lbs daily, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be conscious of your shifts and OD, you can always put into manual and do it yourself if you see it is gear jumping.

Also some aftermarket tuners can come with the factory tow package setting, which would act the same at the Tow Button.

I towed a 45' boom that weighted 4600lbs, had no issues whatsoever. Just be smart about it, slow acceleration and be mindful of your OverDrive.

Cheers,
Jo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I mentioned, I have merged your thread with this one. It should answer your questions. The tow button has an affect on the transmission shifting pattern when engaged and as blwnsmoke posted, I believe it can only be added at the factory when the vehicle is being built.

Peter

I just installed the factory towing package on my 2013. Along with the hitch kit that has already been mentioned, I also installed the factory "Tow" button and swapped in the factoring tow package wiring harness at the rear bumper including the factory 7 pin and 4 pin connectors. I wasn't sure if the tow button would work without having to visit the dealer, but after installing the button it works! Push the button and an indicator appears on the dash and the shifts noticeably change. I was hoping that all of the programming would already be in the computer and would function as long as the correct hardware was in place. It turns out I was right!

Bumper wiring harnes: DB5Z15K868L (note my EX has blind spot monitor and keyless entry)

Tow Mode Button Panel: BB5Z13D730CA (provisions for rear hatch and tow)

I just installed the factory towing package on my 2013. Along with the hitch kit that has already been mentioned, I also installed the factory "Tow" button and swapped in the factoring tow package wiring harness at the rear bumper including the factory 7 pin and 4 pin connectors. I wasn't sure if the tow button would work without having to visit the dealer, but after installing the button it works! Push the button and an indicator appears on the dash and the shifts noticeably change. I was hoping that all of the programming would already be in the computer and would function as long as the correct hardware was in place. It turns out I was right!
Welcome to the Forum SoonerSport.:wavey:
That is good to know. The only issue I see here is that while it appears that your Sport will have everything needed re the OEM package, other models won't have the required oil cooler that is installed as part of the OEM tow package.
Happy motoring and thanks for the info.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Towing with 2014 Explorer Base

I see all you guys here talking about your Sports and your XLTs... Well I bought a 2014 Explorer Base. :D

I'm EXTREMELY happy with it as my previous vehicle ended up coming down with some serious electrical issues. This Explorer has minimal electronics, in comparison. I just love that it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that the more expensive models have. It gets pretty good fuel mileage for its size, 23/24 hwy with cruise control at 70 mph.

Anyway, what my question is (and I've searched this forum for any related info) is that I do plan on doing some towing with it. Not heavy. I've got a 2008 Polaris Rzr 800 that I want to pull to the offroad park.

I laid underneath the backend for a few minutes trying to figure out where it would mount up and it doesn't look as easy as the reviews I've read online for a few different hitch brands. Any brand that's better than another? Has anyone ever install one of these? I feel like the mufflers are going to be in the way. The reviews said it's an hour long project or less but those damn mufflers are making me nervous...

Also, do I need to put a different bumper on it or can I do that later and adjust as needed?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Get the hitch and wiring harness from etrailer.com. The Draw Tite fits perfectly, and the wiring module is plug and play. I had no trouble installing (took 1 hour). No issue with the mufflers.

Retrofitting a factory hitch is a waste of $$ for what you are trying to do. I've been happy with how the Draw Tite performs.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2011/75710.html?vehicleid=2011304889

Oh sweet, thanks! I had a Draw-Tite on my 00 XLT and that thing was solid. I'll definitely get another. Thanks for the link.

Bumper wiring harnes: DB5Z15K868L (note my EX has blind spot monitor and keyless entry)

Tow Mode Button Panel: BB5Z13D730CA (provisions for rear hatch and tow)

Hi There, I was able to install the factory hitch as well from the dealer. But I was wondering if you were able to install the tow button yourself, if so was it a big install ? The part # you provided doesn't seem to come up with anything.

Thanks !

I'm debating on installed a factory hitch or aftermarket. All I want is to use a cargo carrier for vacation trips so I don't need wiring. Thoughts.

Hi There, I was able to install the factory hitch as well from the dealer. But I was wondering if you were able to install the tow button yourself, if so was it a big install ? The part # you provided doesn't seem to come up with anything.

Thanks !

Yes, I installed the tow button myself in less than 5 minutes. The panel that the buttons are mounted to is held on with clips so it just pops off. It's probably easiest to start at the bottom and work your way up. Once the panel is off just disconnect a single harness connector and then pop the buttons out. The part number that I posted is correct and is for a button panel with rear hatch and tow buttons.

We purchased a 2013 Explorer 3 weeks ago, without the towing package, but had it written into the contract that the dealership would install the tow package - we even made them write specifically, "tow package", "hitch and tranny cooler". We were very clear that when loaded, our trailer is 4,000 lbs, and we needed the 7 pin connector. Took it to the dealer last week - the salesman took it to a business down the street and had a hitch installed that is under the bumper (similar to Draw Tite), installed with 4-pin wiring, and tried to tell us that the radiator is so great there is no need for an additional cooler. We showed him that on the Ford website it says that without the tow package (with the additional cooler) the warrantee will be voided if we tow over 2000 lbs. I also showed him our contract which specifically says they owe us a tranny cooler. We will be "discussing" this with the dealership tomorrow. In the meantime, after reading this thread, I'm wondering if it is even going to be possible to have an auxiliary tranny/engine oil cooler installed on this vehicle?

Welcome to the Forum WA Explorer Girl.:wavey:
Although I can't be sure, I think you are out of luck. I believe the engine oil cooler is a factory only install when the vehicle is being built. With what you have described, I believe you are limited to 2000 lb towing.

Peter

Adding trailer hitch to 2013 sport?

My 2013 sport didn't come with tow package and I was wondering if I could add an aftermarket hitch and be safe. The reason I ask is my buddy's 2013 non sport has the tow package and it has a tow/haul button that mines does NOT have, if I add a hitch and pull with no tow/haul will it hurt the transmission?

My 2013 sport didn't come with tow package and I was wondering if I could add an aftermarket hitch and be safe. The reason I ask is my buddy's 2013 non sport has the tow package and it has a tow/haul button that mines does NOT have, if I add a hitch and pull with no tow/haul will it hurt the transmission?
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. I believe the only thing the tow/haul system does is cut out the overdrive and change shift points. You can always use the manual shifting for that. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.;)

Peter

Get the hitch and wiring harness from etrailer.com. The Draw Tite fits perfectly, and the wiring module is plug and play. I had no trouble installing (took 1 hour). No issue with the mufflers.

Retrofitting a factory hitch is a waste of $$ for what you are trying to do. I've been happy with how the Draw Tite performs.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2011/75710.html?vehicleid=2011304889

Placed an order with Etrailers late on Monday for a hitch and some other odds and ends. Today (2-3 days later), I received notification that the hitch wasn't in stock. I'm not pleased with how long this is taking. So I ordered the same hitch from reese-hitches.com.

Hello, today is my first day on this site. I have a 2013 Explorer Sport. I have 2 kayaks that I want to haul, they are very light (less than 40 pounds a piece). I have never owned a trailer or hauled anything and I'm not too savvy when it comes to cars/parts. Unfortunately, I did not get the tow package on the vehicle. Can anyone give me a real easy answer to what I need to get to attach a trailer?

We purchased a 2013 Explorer 3 weeks ago, without the towing package, but had it written into the contract that the dealership would install the tow package - we even made them write specifically, "tow package", "hitch and tranny cooler". We were very clear that when loaded, our trailer is 4,000 lbs, and we needed the 7 pin connector. Took it to the dealer last week - the salesman took it to a business down the street and had a hitch installed that is under the bumper (similar to Draw Tite), installed with 4-pin wiring, and tried to tell us that the radiator is so great there is no need for an additional cooler. We showed him that on the Ford website it says that without the tow package (with the additional cooler) the warrantee will be voided if we tow over 2000 lbs. I also showed him our contract which specifically says they owe us a tranny cooler. We will be "discussing" this with the dealership tomorrow. In the meantime, after reading this thread, I'm wondering if it is even going to be possible to have an auxiliary tranny/engine oil cooler installed on this vehicle?

Are you possibly dealing with Vancouver Ford? If you are down this way, I have found them to be absolutely USELESS for everything!!

No, not in Vancouver. The resolution to the situation ended up being that they put the total amount that we paid for the 2013, including our trade in allowance, toward a new 2014 with the towing package. So glad we insisted on getting it in writing that they would install the tow hitch AND tranny cooler - they couldn't really back out of their end of the bargain. Buying a brand new car was something we swore we'd never do, but we are extremely glad we didn't end up with a car that couldn't tow our trailer, and we LOVE our new Explorer

Yes, I installed the tow button myself in less than 5 minutes. The panel that the buttons are mounted to is held on with clips so it just pops off. It's probably easiest to start at the bottom and work your way up. Once the panel is off just disconnect a single harness connector and then pop the buttons out. The part number that I posted is correct and is for a button panel with rear hatch and tow buttons.

I just noticed that you have a 2013, that's probably why it is not coming up for me. I wonder if this is also doable on my 2012 ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, not in Vancouver. The resolution to the situation ended up being that they put the total amount that we paid for the 2013, including our trade in allowance, toward a new 2014 with the towing package. So glad we insisted on getting it in writing that they would install the tow hitch AND tranny cooler - they couldn't really back out of their end of the bargain. Buying a brand new car was something we swore we'd never do, but we are extremely glad we didn't end up with a car that couldn't tow our trailer, and we LOVE our new Explorer

Glad they took care of you. Even if you added everything the tow package offers onto your 2013, you would still be rated at 2,000lbs. The vehicle is certified when it leaves the factory with what it can tow. Just because one adds the same parts, it still is only certified for the 2,000lbs and the vehicle would need to be recertified to meet the 5,000lb towing.

People run into this with trucks. I can order a 2015 F350 with a 11,500 rating, 11,400 rating and a 10,000 rating. All 3 vehicles are the same, just the sticker certification. So although they are identical, you can only do what the sticker says you can do legally from the factory.

Back