Door Handle Lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle Lock

vegastime

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Anybody having trouble locking their Explorer with the black sensor on the door handle? I am having trouble getting it to work consistantly.

It locks fine with the remote, the number pad, and the inside door panel button. Worked fine until today. Unlocking is not a problem.

Took it to the dealer today, and they think it is working fine, even though it did not work several times when I showed them. They said it worked fine for them when they tested it.

Took me multiple tries to get it to lock when I got home tonight. It would suddenly lock, then not work again for several tries.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only had that problem with the ignition. Try flipping the keys and try again.

I sometimes have to touch the button more than once to get it to lock, but I assume it is a technique learning issue with me. It is not frequent enought to cause me concern.

This may be obvious, but make absolutely sure you are not touching the back side of the handle while pressing the button. I was doing that a few times before I realised it was keeping it from locking.

This may be obvious, but make absolutely sure you are not touching the back side of the handle while pressing the button. I was doing that a few times before I realised it was keeping it from locking.

This is what the service dept. kept telling me. I am definitely not touching the back of the handle.

Still having the problem.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Mine locks/unlocks just by touching the handle, do not have to even touch the button.

Jack

This is what the service dept. kept telling me. I am definitely not touching the back of the handle.

Still having the problem.
I would want my Explorer to be able to lock the first time, and I can imagine that this would get a bit annoying. I would like to look into this issue for you. If you send me your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage, then I can help to get this resolved.

Cory

I would want my Explorer to be able to lock the first time, and I can imagine that this would get a bit annoying. I would like to look into this issue for you. If you send me your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage, then I can help to get this resolved.

Cory

Thanks.

I will see how it does over the weekend.

The dealer was very good, and said if I kept having problems, to bring it back in.

To lock press the outside button only, don't allow you fingers to touch the inside of the handle. To unlock place your fingers inside of the door handle only. Works every time! Took me a few days to figure it out.

I'll go take a video of how I do it, I noticed that it will lock and unlock when I am washing the car and have the key on me.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Mine locks/unlocks just by touching the handle, do not have to even touch the button.

Jack
If that is the case, then there is something wrong. That is not the way it was designed to work. Almost seems as though something may be shorting out within the handle.

Mine was not locking all the time until I read that you have to hold the black button in for one second. Now i just hold it in until it locks. no problem anymore.

Back