• Register Today It's free!

Dpfe Egr Sensor

JakeMadman

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer LTD, 4.6 v8
Hi. I just signed up on this site. I found it while searching for information on how to find and change a DPFE/EGR sensor. My dealer wants 285.00 to replace it. I have found them on line for between 8.00 and 20.00... I can't believe it costs $265.00 in labor to change it... 3 hour job... I don't think so..

It is a 2002 Ford Explorer Ltd. 4.6 V8.....

Can anyone tell me where I'd find the DPFE sensor...

I'm a novice mechanic, but I change my own breaks, lube oil filters, trani flush etc.. so I'd like to believe I can handle this

Appreciate any help you can give me...

Thanks

Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should find a metal pipe coming off exhaust manifold, it will have 2 silicone lines, almost look like vacuum lines, coming off it . They attach to dpfe sensor. Get your new one out and compare, you'll find it

Get yourself a manual. Just because you get an EGR code does not automatically mean it's the EGR valve. Make sure all your lines are clean, test the solenoid, and test the DPFE sensor. Good luck!

Go to the top of the page and click on the search button. Type in " P1400 Error Code "
and it will bring up a post showing a photo of the sensor. I paid $30.07 for mine from a Ford dealer. Took less than 2 minutes and no tools to replace.

Ford extended the warranty on the sensors 2 years or 24,000 miles. You might be covered.

how can i test the dpfe sensor? thanks

JakeMadman said:
Hi. I just signed up on this site. I found it while searching for information on how to find and change a DPFE/EGR sensor. My dealer wants 285.00 to replace it. I have found them on line for between 8.00 and 20.00... I can't believe it costs $265.00 in labor to change it... 3 hour job... I don't think so..

It is a 2002 Ford Explorer Ltd. 4.6 V8.....

Can anyone tell me where I'd find the DPFE sensor...

I'm a novice mechanic, but I change my own breaks, lube oil filters, trani flush etc.. so I'd like to believe I can handle this

Appreciate any help you can give me...

Thanks

Jake

Yeah Jake easy swap. Don't pay them robbers to charge you 3 hours worth of labor for what can be done in 15 minutes. I got one off my 03 Explorer that only has 5,000 miles on it and is in perfect condition. I took it off for my supercharger project. If you want I can send it to you for a decent little price. I am curious to see where you found them online for only $8.00-$20.00! They usually go for anywhere between $35.00-$75.00. Either way I will match or beat their price if theirs is in the same condition as mine. After all, I don't need the thing anymore. lol. I also have the EGR valve and EGR solenoid if you end up needing one of those as well.

Attachments

• 03 4.6 DPFE.jpg
    03 4.6 DPFE.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7,271

rocket - please cut down your signature to 6 lines. Thank you

ExplorerDMB said:
rocket - please cut down your signature to 6 lines. Thank you

You know PM's are a good thing.

The one in the photo above is not the same as the one on my 2002. It would probably work, but the one on the 2002 sits flat on top of the two tubes and doesn't attach to a mounting bracket

oops! Never mind. I thought we were talking about a v-6. I don't know what the ones for a v-8 look like.

grumpy said:
The one in the photo above is not the same as the one on my 2002. It would probably work, but the one on the 2002 sits flat on top of the two tubes and doesn't attach to a mounting bracket

oops! Never mind. I thought we were talking about a v-6. I don't know what the ones for a v-8 look like.

It cool grumpy. Yeah, the V-6 DPFE's are probably different then the V-8 DPFE's. Going by logic the 02-03 V-8 DPFE's should be exactly the same being that nothing on the engines were changed. Even then the V-8 DPFE's are still probably the same going up to 05.

fordfuelinjection.com

great place to learn about EGR

When I replaced mine, I called the Ford dealer and asked about the extended warranty. He said it was only up to 60,000 miles. He was figuring 36,000 plus 24,000 extended. Actually, I think the emission components are warrented for 50,000 miles to begin with. That would make the warranty good up to 74,000 miles wouldn't it? I had 72,000 on mine whan I bought the thing.

grumpy said:
I had 72,000 on mine whan I bought the thing.

72k!!!!!!! Man I only have 6k on mine. It would have only had 5k on it but I had to drive the damn thing from Mississippi up to Illinois when I moved.

Maybe I need to re-phrase that. I had 72,000 on mine when I bought the replacement DPFE sensor. Not when I bought the vehicle. Mine is an '02

grumpy said:
Maybe I need to re-phrase that. I had 72,000 on mine when I bought the replacement DPFE sensor. Not when I bought the vehicle. Mine is an '02

Oh ok thats what shocked me. lol. I got it now. :thumbsup: :D

Changing the DPFE is a huge headache IMO. it takes 3 minutes tops to install it, the hard part is dealing with the stores to get it. If you ask for a DPFE, or differential pressure sensor, they look at you like you just climbed off the short bus. They vary their name from egr pressure sensor (seems to be the most popular) and egr position sensor. I foud one at NAPA, no one else had one. But NAPAs was different. I had to look up the part number online, then go to the store and ask them for it. Then the one they brought was different than the one I needed. :confused: I just went to the dealer to prevent getting the wrong one and not being able to take it back. You cant return it cuz it is an electrical part. I also went for the dealer cuz I got the hoses with it. The hoses are different sizes which is something to keep in mind when buying them.
I changed mine because I had a visit from the torch fairy! ( I got some great pics if you wanna see! :eek: ) Once I changed mine I got MUCH better gas mileage. I hope the fairy didnt visit you, but it is well worth it to replace!

Explodersport said:
Changing the DPFE is a huge headache IMO. it takes 3 minutes tops to install it, the hard part is dealing with the stores to get it. If you ask for a DPFE, or differential pressure sensor, they look at you like you just climbed off the short bus. They vary their name from egr pressure sensor (seems to be the most popular) and egr position sensor. I foud one at NAPA, no one else had one. But NAPAs was different. I had to look up the part number online, then go to the store and ask them for it. Then the one they brought was different than the one I needed. :confused: I just went to the dealer to prevent getting the wrong one and not being able to take it back. You cant return it cuz it is an electrical part. I also went for the dealer cuz I got the hoses with it. The hoses are different sizes which is something to keep in mind when buying them.
I changed mine because I had a visit from the torch fairy! ( I got some great pics if you wanna see! :eek: ) Once I changed mine I got MUCH better gas mileage. I hope the fairy didnt visit you, but it is well worth it to replace!

That is why it is sooo handy that I just happen to have mine which is, for most intents and purposes, brand new. Same DFPE as what the fella with the 02 V8 Ex needs. If poor ol' Jake just checked his email updates he would be golden. ;)

I Just Signed Up For This Forum Today And I What Probaly Sounds Like A Dumb Question Is: Where Can I Find A Dpfe Sensor On-line? I Trying Searching For It For Hours It Seems Like. I Have A 2002 Explorer Xlt With 84,000 Miles On It With The Ses Light On And It Is Giving Me A P1400 Error Code. The Thing Is Im Stationed Over In Germany And The German Ford Dealership Is Telling Me It Is Going To Take A Week To Fix And Will Cost Around 320 Euros (like 400 Dollars): From Everything I Have Read It Just Seems Alot Easier To Do It Myself. If I Can Find Where To Find It On-line

Thanks For Any Info,
Mac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MACNEEZY_XLT said:
I Just Signed Up For This Forum Today And I What Probaly Sounds Like A Dumb Question Is: Where Can I Find A Dpfe Sensor On-line? I Trying Searching For It For Hours It Seems Like. I Have A 2002 Explorer Xlt With 84,000 Miles On It With The Ses Light On And It Is Giving Me A P1400 Error Code. The Thing Is Im Stationed Over In Germany And The German Ford Dealership Is Telling Me It Is Going To Take A Week To Fix And Will Cost Around 320 Euros (like 400 Dollars): From Everything I Have Read It Just Seems Alot Easier To Do It Myself. If I Can Find Where To Find It On-line

Thanks For Any Info,
Mac

You can try Google or ebay or something, but there is no guarantee you will get the right part. I also still have my DPFE also which is the same exact one as what you have on there if you have a V8. I am not so sure if the V6's match the V8's DPFE's. If you read me a part # off the old one it is worth a try at least. Otherwise, you can just see if you can't find one online.

Rob

BTW, you at Ramstein AFB over there? I used to get Red Cross messages from your area in Stuttgart all the time when I was stationed in Bahrain.

Back