Dreamr's 5.0 top end build up | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreamr's 5.0 top end build up

I should have added my update to the above post, but I forgot, and perhaps seperate is cleaner ehh. I am still working on vacuum lines, but I just keep going deeper. And since I still have a couple chattery valves the upper and valve covers are coming off for the rest of that project.

I think this time on the valves I am going to try a little different method of setting the pre-load. I have been going TDC then adjusting both valves....moving to the next in firing order with a 1/4 turn of the crank. This time we are going by the Crane Cams Method........ Pick a cylinder to start on. Turn the crank till the exhaust valve is opened then adjust the intake valve. Turn the crank till the intake just starts to close and adjust the exhaust....or something like that, I'll print out the instructions and follow them. I think I will go 3/4 turn after zero lash then bump the nut to set the lock pin. If I have chatter we're just going to open it up and turn every damn one a 1/4 turn and it had better shut up. :fire:

TFI module....well I swapped for the old one and it made not a damn bit of difference so the new one goes back on. The timing situation remains unchanged....the EEC is not advancing it far enough. Hell I set the base at 26today and drove it. It ran great with the exception of the other nagging issues. And interestingly enough it never detonated/pinged :confused:

Idle.....well JT kindly sent me that adjuster plate so we will give it a try tommorow.

I stopped in @ Brad's Custom Auto ( our local vette and stang speed shop). I talked with the guys there for a bit and baffled them a bit as well. I suggested a dyno session......Brad said not a chance in hell til everything is running right. As I had no more ideas he suggested letting him play with it for a day.....thursday that is. Basically they are just gonna go through and see what they can see. If it's mechanical I'll probably fix it myself unless they are real nice to me. In addition Brad is going to have the car tuned by one of his many race car building tech's.. While they are in there adjusting and fideling they are going to weld in a bung for wide band o2 and datalog with the aid of an eecIV interface to aid their tuning......Then after he gets the car running the way it should I can drive it for a bit to break it in before a full dyno tuning session.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well.....I got my car back from Brad's Custom Auto....
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

All in all they said I had done a good job and everything was in great shape. It seems that the biggest issue lay in the cpu parameters. They reflashed it so to speak and the hanging idle dissaperaed. She still seems to run a bit rough to me, but Brad just grinned and sayed get used to that cam it's lumpy. He also said that my next move should be a set of gears. Basically the car feels stock til you hit 3000 rpm and up then it gets up and flies....Why.... it's geared to damn high as we all already know :p:

The vacuum was normal for the top end work.....though they did find one small vac leak where the throttle shaft enters the T-body...Nothing a little o-ring couldn't fix. The braking issue turned out to be related to the hanging idle rather than vacuum. :D

While tuning they felt my 1 k idle was just too high for the eec's purposes. He messed with it for a bit and found that the idle was good down around 750 though if you get stuck at a real long stop light it much prefers being in neutral. He said if I want it higher don't mess with the throttle body adjustment as my hanging idle might return......but rather use the IAC adjuster plate JT sent me as I can bump it about 200 rpms this way without messing with the computer parameters.... hmm so this is the plates real use....to trick the cpu into letting you make minor adjustments.

A/F was not done as Brad wants to wait untill I replace the H-pipe with an X then dyno run it. They did make sure it was getting plenty of fuel however...how I don't know...

Well.....I got my car back from Brad's Custom Auto....
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

All in all they said I had done a good job and everything was in great shape. It seems that the biggest issue lay in the cpu parameters. They reflashed it so to speak and the hanging idle dissaperaed. She still seems to run a bit rough to me, but Brad just grinned and sayed get used to that cam it's lumpy. He also said that my next move should be a set of gears. Basically the car feels stock til you hit 3000 rpm and up then it gets up and flies....Why.... it's geared to damn high as we all already know :p:

The vacuum was normal for the top end work.....though they did find one small vac leak where the throttle shaft enters the T-body...Nothing a little o-ring couldn't fix. The braking issue turned out to be related to the hanging idle rather than vacuum. :D

While tuning they felt my 1 k idle was just too high for the eec's purposes. He messed with it for a bit and found that the idle was good down around 750 though if you get stuck at a real long stop light it much prefers being in neutral. He said if I want it higher don't mess with the throttle body adjustment as my hanging idle might return......but rather use the IAC adjuster plate JT sent me as I can bump it about 200 rpms this way without messing with the computer parameters.... hmm so this is the plates real use....to trick the cpu into letting you make minor adjustments.

A/F was not done as Brad wants to wait untill I replace the H-pipe with an X then dyno run it. They did make sure it was getting plenty of fuel however...how I don't know...

Gald things are working out. Well the rear gears were no surprise, that's for sure. I thought that the cam was just too lumpy as they say for low rpm responce. But that X-pipe and new lower gears later should help.
One other thing. I belive someone makes somekind of clip that goes on your rockers so you can adjust the valves while it's running. It keeps the oil from spraying all over the place. I know that it works great while it's running cause you can really quite the valve down one at a time. Now I don't know about roller rockers if they make a clip for them.

Can't wait to get back on my B11 project in about 2 weeks. Since mine is built for street/trail rides I have a RV cam coupled with that new Holley 450 off-road carb. I'll be pissed if I have any low rpm problems.

Keep us posted.

Tuning issues grrr!

This is all very good to hear.
Is there any way you can post a video, so we can hear this beast?

Yea, like 410 did with his project. :thumbsup:

I wish I had a way to post a sound clip, but I have very little of that new fangled technology stuff :D

Seems that once she is tuned and I re-do all the exhaust it ought to be a fun toy untill the stroker bug engorges itself on my blood long enough for me need to squash it. I think there may be a vortech bug hangin on somewhere too :D

Now if only I could afford to have that axle re-geared

I wish I had a way to post a sound clip, but I have very little of that new fangled technology stuff :D

Seems that once she is tuned and I re-do all the exhaust it ought to be a fun toy untill the stroker bug engorges itself on my blood long enough for me need to squash it. I think there may be a vortech bug hangin on somewhere too :D

Now if only I could afford to have that axle re-geared

Your not going to believe whaat a difference some lower gearing is going to be. That beast will throw you back in the seats then. It's just not letting the rpms get high and QUICK enough for the dynamics of the cam to come into play. For instance you had a question mark about the ex. valve opening up so many degrees BBDC. That's because about all the power thats been exerted on the piston at combustion has done been played out. So even before the piston has reached the bottom of it's stoke on the combustion stroke the ex. valve starts to open before the piston even starts its upward thrust to exhaust the gases. The reason is that there is still more positive pressure in the cylinder then on the other side of the ex. valve. So when the valve does open in actuallity the exhaust gases start moving out to the headers. But this does hurt the low end power band. Once the rpms get higher things really get interesting. These kind cams you don't get your cake and eat it too. LOL

Back