driveshaft mod versus advance adapter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driveshaft mod versus advance adapter?

seth247

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
so the v8 is creeping closer and I need to know.

Do you NEED the AA adapter? Or can the borg warner hook straight to a 4r70w?

I think it could be cheaper to have the shafts lengthened/shortened that to buy the 500$ Frikin adapter.

Ps: Woo hoo 800 posts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What now? .. somewhat confused.

If you're swapping the engine, swap over the tranmission too and swap over the transfer case that came with the trans.

how much does driveshaft modification usually cost?

A retubing (which is what a lengthening is because the old tube is discarded and a longer one put in place) is usually around $100-140 ish balanced. On the other hand, shortening (which doesnt require a new tube), is usually maybe $75-ish.

Make some calls because prices do differ from shop to shop.

at sounds about even with what I've found.

So what tcase do the 95-01 explorers with the 5.0/4r70w have.

I think My current one is a bw1350

Stock, the v8 2nd gens came with the Borg Warner 4404 but this is an AWD transfer case. Those that want a true selectable 4wd swap in the 4406 - go this route so you dont have to worry about the electrical controls of the transfer case. Plenty of threads about the 4406 swap so search a bit if you're interested.

Im trying to keep this cheap though. If I do the shaft mods and the tcase I'm Lookin at more than just buying the adapter.

I think you still need driveshaft modification if you swap in the v8 and the transmission and keep the stock transfer case because the v6 and v8 running gear arent the same length. So the transfer case doesnt end up in the same spot.

But the adapter moves the tcase into the stock
Location so I'd only be spending money on the adapter, no shaft mods needed.

But the adapter moves the tcase into the stock
Location so I'd only be spending money on the adapter, no shaft mods needed.
Are you sure the adapter does that?

I ask because the V8 engine/trans combo is longer than the v6's (which is supposedly why the v8's had an AWD transfer case -- because the AWD is shorter). So in order for the adapter to bring the transfer case back to stock position, it will have to shorten the engine/trans combo which means it needs to replace the transmissoin's tailshaft and tailshaft housing to bring the transfer case closer to the rear of the transmission.

But if you're sure that the adapter brings it back to original position, then you should be good to go.

If it were me, i would still swap in the 4406 because the 1350 is for a Bronco-II -- which is a lOT lighter and the engine is much smaller than the combo you have in mind. If you're running low on funds, then I would save up and wait until you can afford the right parts -- which means the 4406 and money for the driveshaft work.

yes I beleive the adapter replaces the tailshaft/housing now that you mention it.

I can't wait to save the money and this is gonna be a street truck anyway.

I have to get this done before the 4.0 gives out.

If this is just a street truck, then forget the transfer case and swap in a 2wd engine/trans combo -- less parts to go wrong and you might even get a few miles per gallon over a setup with a transfer case ;)

sorry it turns out the first gens have the 1354. It's been awhile since I looked it up.

Well you see. "street" in Oklahoma means offroad a quarter of the year.

So I need 4x4 but it doesn't gotnto be bulletproof. I'm keeping the auto lockers for now after all. Theyle go before the tcase.

The AA does more than move the t-case (which I'm not even sure about) it makes is possible to bolt the bw1354 to the 4r70w. Without the adapter the bolt pattern on the tail housing of the 4r70w will not line up to the one on the bw1354.

Unless you have a cheap source for the adapter I would think the 4406 route would be cheaper. Plus you end up with a much stronger case designed for the power that V8 is pushing.

ok thanks devilboy that's what I was wondering. Since it'll cost about the same I'll check into the 4406. See if I can find a cheap'en.

Thanks for the link froader.

Thanks for your help izwack!

how cheap could I pick up a 4406 and were would I look for one?

Back