Early Mustang Hood scoop in an Explorer Hood... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Early Mustang Hood scoop in an Explorer Hood...

This is the first of a few of my Body Mods that I plan on doing...since I am at a point where I know I will be the first to do it, I am letting you guys know what I am doing.

I wanted a modified hood, BAD. It is the LAST body panel that I have yet to modify. But I HATE the Cowl Induction hood that has been put on EVERYTHING. It is notoriously GM, and I really don't like the idea of a trademark GM trait, on a Blue Oval product! So Cowl Induction was out of the question.

Then I got to looking at what others have done to their Explorers, and I REALLY liked the 94-98 Cobra Hood scoops that someone (troll? Xbox?) grafted onto the 2nd Gen X hood...but the 1st Gen is WAY too square to make it look right.

Then I thought about the 2001+ Mustang GT Hood scoop that seems to be popular, but again it only looks right with the later hoods, as they are flat, and the 1 attempt I saw at putting on an 1st Gen hood, looked horrible. The center body line on the hood runs right though the scoop, and it looks HORRIBLE, no matter what you do to it.

So, I was walking through a car show a couple years ago, and saw a 03/04 cobra up close, and I LOVE the "Heat Extractor" hood they had. I wanted that look...but I had NO CLUE on how I was going to make it work.

Okay fast forward to my researching for the Cobra Brakes I swapped onto my Explorer. I came across a picture of a 1967 or 1968 Mustang with what was known as a "Deluxe Hood". It has these ultra cool Turn Signal Indicators in the hood with "Reverse Scoops" that were sunk into the hoods...At that moment I knew....I had found my hood modification!...So looked on ebay for a hood scoop insert, just to see how it would look, and if the proportions were good...and it's going to look factory!

So tonight I went and picked up my hood...and I am starting to cut it up....here are the pics:

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a better pic, with a nearly perfect angle to show the detail of the reverse scoops I'm talking about

Ryan

I did the initial layout on the Explorer Hood tonight...

Is nobody interested in this? Is this in the wrong forum?

Ryan

'Scribing. This looks really cool, I love how you're keeping it in the family. And I've always liked the look of the early mustang hoods. ;)

I've been paying attention and I'd really like to see this done. Should turn out real nice.

I'm going to move it to the Body Work and Detailing Forum too. It might get more looks over there.

Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

looks like the exact opposite of what I have :)

Looks great to me !!!!!!!

..oh yeah..

One other tidbit on the modification...

I am also 'shaving' the outer valleys/body lines on the hood. I think will make it look too 'busy' with competing lines in the hood. It will simplify the look, and make it just a little more different from stock.

I think I am going to have cut a long strip of thin steel about 1" wide, and weld it in place, hammer and fill.

I will include pics of the process of doing that too.

Ryan

Slower progress than anticipated...but progress none-the-less.

As of this AM:

In this picture, you can see where I laid 3/4" white masking tape on top of the 1-1/2" Blue tape. I did this so I could cut the blue tape in half, and transfer that tape onto the Mustang hood, and lay out where it was to be cut.

Once the tape transfer was complete, it was time to get cutting. I used a 3" cut-off wheel. With the method I chose, I had to cut the Outside of the Blue tape on the Mustang Hood, and I have to cut the inside of the white tape on the Explorer hood.

I ran out of time to cut the Explorer hood, but here's the cut out piece sitting on the Explorer Hood

Ryan

i'm watching you.
good job, should come out good

I got a little more done today.

Here I finished cutting out the other side of the Mustang Hood, then placed them on the Explorer hood to see how it will turn out:

Here I cut out the passenger side of the Explorer hood, leaving the support braces mostly in tact. I only had to cut the forward mounting point to clear the 'dip' in the scoop. It will get re-routed & re-attached later on.

And here is the makings of what an Early Mustang Hood Scoop looks like grafted into an Explorer Hood:

I have tomorrow off, and maybe I'll get some more done before dinner time!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Ryan

looking good so far keep up the good work

That is a lot of work, but it will be nice to know you are the only one that has a hood like that & the best part is "YOU" did it.

Wonder how much it will effect the engine heat?

Underhood heat was one of the reasons I went with this design...

Does anyone know what there IAT is, in their 1st Gen? I have a iFab intake. I would like to get a comparison of IAT's, iFab vs. Stock box....

Ryan

This is a cool mod... I like it!!! Keep 'em coming!

That looks good so far! That's always been one of my favorite scoop designs. I use to have a 68 Mustang with that hood.

LOL...Thanks....I think!

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hood looks sick so far! so how has it been coming?

Back