• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Failure

tropicvi

Reaction score
City, State
St Croix, US Virgin Islands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Range Rover HSE SC
Back in October 2011 I had posted about a random total electrical shut down of my 2011 Explorer while in use, wherein it was as if the battery had been suddenely removed from the vehicle. It would reset and function normally 10 minutes later. The dealer told me next time it happens to bring it in... that was seven months ago... all was normal... well, yesterday it happened again, and today i took it into the dealer... on a wrecker... the total system failure happened going into a turn, the Explorer being stopped by a utility pole...:mad: hard enough to shear the wooden pole... also, no electricity meant no airbag deployment... I now want to compile a list of others who have had a similar problem. A co-worker has had two similar failures on a Ford F350 in the past two weeks. If you don't want to post a reply, send me a private message.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch, got any pictures?

When you dropped it off at dealer, was there still no electrical?

This one should be interesting to watch...

Glad you're ok!

I think you have a case there of a pushbar doing more damage than it's protecting. I don't trust those things at all. Instead of the bumper absorbing the impact and spreading it out, you have all the impact in one small metal bar.

Plus it puts a lot of the impact on the frame in 2 spots.

Hope you're OK physically. Gotta hurt mentally though.

Was wondering if you remembered the circumstances on the power outage the last time. Is it possible that centrifical force caused both (or all 3) instances?

If the conditions where the outage occured were similar it would help the Ford guys diagnose it. (I know it's probably a little late now, since you have to have major work done on the car, but even after the body work is done, you still have the power issue to contend with)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear about your problem.

I'm curious - why did you hit the pole? (and I do realize you drive on the "wrong" side of the road in the VI which put you closer to that side of the road). Loss of power steering?

Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear about your problem.

I'm curious - why did you hit the pole? (and I do realize you drive on the "wrong" side of the road in the VI which put you closer to that side of the road). Loss of power steering?

I thought the same thing.... Sounds like the power steering failure issue.

as she describes it. aa she approached thw cornwr, there was a sudden change in how the vehicle felt. the steering felt loose. not responding to the steering wheel. at the same time to brakes felt stiff and we not slowing the car. the car was on a free motion sideways up an embankment until it hot the pole with enough force to split the wood. the bank was steep enough to have rolled some suv. the car impacted the pole on an upward angle rather than square on. previous failures of electronics happened at less than 5mph on a straight level road. hopefully a thorough examination will determine what went wrong. obviously something did. my purpose here is to find any similar incidents. And to the comment on the pushbar above, it is the same one (Setana) used on police spec'd versions of the car. exterior examination shows it actually reduced impact through rotation around mount bracket as it was crushing. looking at damage, without the push bars, the
pole would have been shoved further into vehicle before it rolled back sown the bank. The impact also caused a rotation of the vehicle orientation from befote and after of 30-40 degrees

I apologize for spelling errors due to small android keys and auto spell.

previously referenced system electronic failures reset them selves to normal after ten minutes. none repeatable events on demand.

That is a concerning failure.

At the request of my attorney, the dealer provided the printout (2 screen shots) of diagnostic, stating there were no issues found everything passed. However, reading the detail there are several questions. in the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) a U0415:00-08 code showed, which they wrote is loss of communication. To the right the side of the printout is shows Status 08 (Not Current DTC) - Fault previously detected, not currently present. Does this have to do with previous posts in this thread where the fault clears it self by turning the key off then back on? if so how can the dealer say no fault existed at the time of the accident. The key had been turned off and on several times by the tow truck driver for starters.

Other codes that showed on the screen shot were
U0452:68-28-ABS
B10D7:05-48-BCM
B1193:00-AB-OSCM
P2196:00-64-PCM
P2198:00-64-PCM
B00A0:09-8B-RCM

ANy input from anyone on this??

If everything lost power, how is it going to write anything to its logs? And it only keeps 30 seconds anyway right? I don't see how diagnostics could prove or disprove anything...but I'm not a technician so I have no idea

At the request of my attorney, the dealer provided the printout (2 screen shots) of diagnostic, stating there were no issues found everything passed. However, reading the detail there are several questions. in the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) a U0415:00-08 code showed, which they wrote is loss of communication. To the right the side of the printout is shows Status 08 (Not Current DTC) - Fault previously detected, not currently present. Does this have to do with previous posts in this thread where the fault clears it self by turning the key off then back on? if so how can the dealer say no fault existed at the time of the accident. The key had been turned off and on several times by the tow truck driver for starters.

Other codes that showed on the screen shot were
U0452:68-28-ABS
B10D7:05-48-BCM
B1193:00-AB-OSCM
P2196:00-64-PCM
P2198:00-64-PCM
B00A0:09-8B-RCM

ANy input from anyone on this??

That's a good question- if the vehicle completely lost power vs. losing a particular system's power, how would it log an occurrence? Interesting...

I've been told to steer clear of the 2011+ threads but FWIW, components of an electrical system can still operate for a short period of time even with total electrical shutdown if capacitors have been placed in the system for logging and diagnostics.

What was the weather like when this happened? I was reading about (other brands) and some of them have had electrical failure when the ECM overheated

What was the weather like when this happened? I was reading about (other brands) and some of them have had electrical failure when the ECM overheated

Just like every other day here in the Caribbean... above 70F and below 90F...
:smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok well I doubt that was it then... although I have read how the 2011's had cooling issues before the TSB came out for fixing the fans

Back