• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar withdrawal

elgoathead

Reaction score
City, State
Dundas MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV 4WD
I've completed the part where the service manual says to "remove torsion bar nut" and "lower adjuster".

Now it wants me to slide the bar forward into the control arm to allow the adjuster to be removed, then lower the bar and remove it from the control arm.

Q: How is the adjuster attached to the bar... just a slide fit that I pound off with a mallet or is there a fastener somewhere under all that rust?

Q: Does the bar ultimately exit the control arm by sliding it out toward the rear of the vehicle or do I slide the entire length forward thru the control arm? If it is the former, it would not be necessary to detach the adjuster from the arm, correct?

Again, it is so heavily rusted that it is hard to tell. I want to be sure I'm wacking it the right direction, if it comes to that.

The car is a '96 Explorer 4WD.

Thanks

I've completed the part where the service manual says to "remove torsion bar nut" and "lower adjuster".

Now it wants me to slide the bar forward into the control arm to allow the adjuster to be removed, then lower the bar and remove it from the control arm.

Q: How is the adjuster attached to the bar... just a slide fit that I pound off with a mallet or is there a fastener somewhere under all that rust?

Q: Does the bar ultimately exit the control arm by sliding it out toward the rear of the vehicle or do I slide the entire length forward thru the control arm? If it is the former, it would not be necessary to detach the adjuster from the arm, correct?

Again, it is so heavily rusted that it is hard to tell. I want to be sure I'm wacking it the right direction, if it comes to that.

The car is a '96 Explorer 4WD.

Thanks

Bear with me, it's been a long time: had a bent torsion bar, vehicle wrecked. Front end of torsion bar is hex-shaped, slides into a hex-shaped hole in the lower control arm, up front. Rear of bar has an ear sticking out which the height adjuster bolt bears against. Support front of vehicle so that suspension hangs down with no vehicle weight on it. Then support lower arm with a jack, remove shock absorber lower mounting nuts, slowly allow jack to relieve remaining spring pressure from the torsion bar. Then, loosen height adjustment bolt at rear, until it is free, remove bracket along with bolt, then torsion bar should have no force left on it, go up front with a drift pin, and drive it backwards until the hex end of the bar drops free from the control arm.

hThat's about how I remember it. Let us know how you make out. imp

imp, I got 'er done... thanks for the advice!

I had to remove the control arm and torsion bar as an assembly and separate them off vehicle... just couldn't get a strong enough swing of the hammer otherwise. Even then, a big stinking gear puller and a big stinking hammer along with frequent beatings were required to get it apart.

imp, I got 'er done... thanks for the advice!

I had to remove the control arm and torsion bar as an assembly and separate them off vehicle... just couldn't get a strong enough swing of the hammer otherwise. Even then, a big stinking gear puller and a big stinking hammer along with frequent beatings were required to get it apart.

I'm glad if I can help! imp

Back