Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its only about 700-750 lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once you move the battery and a couple other things out of the engine compartment, it ties the 5.0 for weight.

Its about the same as a 460.

I'm going to pick the Ranger up tomorrow after work. Turns out its an '01 with 98k miles.

I've got no updates for the diesel swap. I spend the weekend at Raceway Park watching the nationals.

I would like to say congrats to local Pro-stock Motorcycle racer, defending PSM champ, current PSM points leader, and long time family friend, Eddie Krawiec for his first hometown win in PSM. Here's a pic of all of us in the winner's circle.

1338774396.jpg

Awesome Eddie is a great guy my stepdad works at V&H in indy with Eddie and Drew great pic great dude

I've been looking at bread trucks from which to take a 4bt. For the experts following this thread, what should I look for when I'm checking the trucks out?

Man, this is awesome. I was actually talking about this thread at work when a buddy told me I should swap a diesel into mine. Great work so far!

I've been looking at bread trucks from which to take a 4bt. For the experts following this thread, what should I look for when I'm checking the trucks out?

Dignan... Man haven't seen you in ages!!

Don't have an answer for ya, but it's good to see you back:D

looks interesting

Im in Florida right now at Disney. I should be back at it soon.

Id much rather be home working on this then stuck here with all these kids.

Mmmm Cummins. I saw a Cummins powered CJ the other day and got me thinking. If this 4.0 BII swap blows up on me a turbo diesel would be nice.

Dignan... Man haven't seen you in ages!!

Don't have an answer for ya, but it's good to see you back:D

It is good to be back. I love this forum and am always reading stuff, but haven't posted in a while. I haven't been on a Trail Run in a long time either. With the Explorer down, it might be a while. I'm thinking of a Moab run next fall, if I can't get the Explorer going by then, I'll just have to take the Powerstroke and hope its not too big to fit on the trails I run.

Back