Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Hello, This site is quite a wealth of information. I found some information on something I was looking for and thought I should share a bit of information that may be helpful to someone else...I get the fast theft light and no start sporadically- once a week or once every few months. The cure for me is to disconnect and reconnect the neg. battery cable. This works 100% of the time for me. I'm not sure if it kind of resets the system or if the problem is actually related to the battery(battery is old and terminals get dirty quickly). Either way I think it's worth a try if you're experiencing similar problems. I have a 2001 Sport Trac.

Reactions: RSM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS-Anti-Theft

Hello!

Here I am again shut down in the parking lot. I was rear ended in my Ford Explorer last year and just recently have had it repaird. I had to have a new hatch put on and everything has been working fine until a few days ago..the anti theft has locked me out again..I had this repaired by Ford to the tune of $700 almost a year ago. Do you think the hatch has something to do with it. I was able to open the hatch fine and all of a sudden I couldn't open but I still could start. Well Monday as I thought I was leaving work..it wouldn't start.
Any suggestions!!!

Thanks!

P.S. I did disconnect the battery! (still wouldn't start)

Hello!

Here I am again shut down in the parking lot. I was rear ended in my Ford Explorer last year and just recently have had it repaird. I had to have a new hatch put on and everything has been working fine until a few days ago..the anti theft has locked me out again..I had this repaired by Ford to the tune of $700 almost a year ago. Do you think the hatch has something to do with it. I was able to open the hatch fine and all of a sudden I couldn't open but I still could start. Well Monday as I thought I was leaving work..it wouldn't start.
Any suggestions!!!

Thanks!

P.S. I did disconnect the battery! (still wouldn't start)

When you turn the key to ON without starting, is the Theft light flashing?

Locked out Again!

Yes, my anti-theft light is blinking!

Thanks!

That would be the PATS system then. Call the dealer that replaced it, and have them repair their fix. :)

You can try a different key if you have one. If that fails, on my 98 if I slammed the steering column all the way up it would work. The problem was the wire harness to the pickup module behind the key.

The THEFT flashing only happens when the Pats doesn't receive the proper key code.

It likely will be(if the key is a proper coded key) the code transmitter at the key cylinder, or that wiring. If you already paid for work on the system, I'd try to get them to fix it right this time.

Meanwhile, turn the key on and see if the THEFT light flashes. If it does flash, do not crank the starter/engine, that will do nothing.

Turn the ignition off, and then turn it back on to check the THEFT light again. Do that over and over again until the light does not flash. Then the engine will start.

As others have mentioned, get at the transmitter there and be sure the connector is attached well, jiggle it etc.

The critical matching components are the PCM module, the PATS module, and the keys which codes are programmed into the PCM/PATS modules. You could swap those as a set and they would work as they did as a set.

I am thinking about converting my 4.0 to a 5.0 with the help of a donor explorer/mountaineer. So, changing just the ecm with give me a pats problem but if I change the ecm, pats system behind the airbag and the ignition to utilize the key with chip, I will be okay?

My explorer is a 98 and in 97 they didn't have pats (if I read that correctly) so what would happen if I put in an ecm from a 97 to the 98? will it start?

thanks for your help-

Excellent question as I have a similar situation. You have another issue if I have my years correct. In '98 Ford changed to a PCM regulated Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) fuel pump, eliminated the fuel rail pressure regulator and the fuel return line to the tank. Oh, by the way, they also changed the injector pressure from 41 psi +- to 65 psi +-. That would appear to mean that you are going to need a '98 up PCM putting you back into PATS land. It would also appear to mean that you are going to need a '98 - '01 engine or convert the fuel rail and injectors on an older engine to the higher pressure. The only solution that I feel confident with at the moment is a custom tune to my '00 PCM.

PATS and all the above served to make the '98 - '01 vehicle and engine much more complicated to swap outside of the same model year range.

I just told you more than I know. Wish someone would definitively solve this for both of us.

The model year 98 fuel pump is NOT PWM...

Excellent question as I have a similar situation. You have another issue if I have my years correct. In '98 Ford changed to a PCM regulated Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) fuel pump, eliminated the fuel rail pressure regulator and the fuel return line to the tank. Oh, by the way, they also changed the injector pressure from 41 psi +- to 65 psi +-. That would appear to mean that you are going to need a '98 up PCM putting you back into PATS land. It would also appear to mean that you are going to need a '98 - '01 engine or convert the fuel rail and injectors on an older engine to the higher pressure. The only solution that I feel confident with at the moment is a custom tune to my '00 PCM.

PATS and all the above served to make the '98 - '01 vehicle and engine much more complicated to swap outside of the same model year range.

I just told you more than I know. Wish someone would definitively solve this for both of us.

Yes Ford DID remove the return rail and the rail mounted fuel pressure regulator in MY 1999 not MY 1998... They mounted the regulator in the tank...Yes the injector operating pressure range changed from 30-43 psi to 65-72 psi...MY 1998 still used the return line, rail mounted regulator and 30-43 psi fuel pressure specs...

But the fuel pump used up to 2001 in the Explorer is the same constant running pump that was used in previous years...Ford did not use any tuning from the PCM for the fuel pump through MY2001...

On a swap of a newer engine to a truck of an older vintage is that you have 2 options... Use the old trucks fuel rails onto the newer engine OR change the fuel pump and sending unit in the tank which will eliminate the return line and increase the fuel pressure to accomodate the newer engines fuel system components...

It is kinda like doing a SOHC swap from a 05-10 Ford Mustang into an older Explorer...Use the top end intake and accessories from the old Explorer engine on the Mustang engine and everything is golden...

The 1997(and older) PCM will not have PATS and doesn't need the special module and keys. But I'm not sure if a code would occur by having the PATS module still in it. I'd try it before altering more, swap just the 97 PCM into the 98, keeping the stock keys and cylinders etc. I'd guess that would work.

The fuel system change was 1999, the PCM isn't part of that change, other than with the evaporative system, monitoring tank pressures etc. The FPR is moved to the tank above the same fuel pump, that is what raises the pressure to 62psi or so.01

so I can get an 97 and mount to my truck without any fuel line/pressure issues and may possibly bypass the whole pats system?

Sounds like a winner!

It sounds like I won't want the fuel system on a 99 unless I convert it over. What years explorer/mountaineer would I want to look at using? 96,97? to 98?

It would appear that the '96 - '97 would avoid PATS and the '98 has PATS but not the fuel system changes, '99 -'01 has both. I have resolved the fuel issue but have PATS to go.

I went to go pickup the truck last night, opened the hood and seen a 4 liter under the hood. what a dumb@$$! I think I am just going to rebuild my SOHC.

I am installing an '00 Mountaineer V8 into an old Volvo. Tripped onto PATS. Have the engine, transmission, PCM from the donor vehicle. Local Ford dealer tech says that the PATS cannot be bypassed by a reprogram of the PCM.

How can I deal with the PATS issue?

I started swapping a 98 SOHC Explorer engine in a 90 Bronco2
I could deal with all technical around .. but have trouble by PATS...

I do have a XCALL and the Tune with PATS deactivate to Flash the PCM..
but the Engine wont Crank...

Could i take off PATS Module or do i have to go with it into new housing?

AS i know that take off or disable PATS is an inviting to highjack my car.. but who?? will an old Truck??

So which solution? if its against LAW.. please PN me..

I'm sorry as i have low Message, but as i'm german native and normal in german boards..an very helpy there but this problem is quit unique

THX

I started swapping a 98 SOHC Explorer engine in a 90 Bronco2
I could deal with all technical around .. but have trouble by PATS...

I do have a XCALL and the Tune with PATS deactivate to Flash the PCM..
but the Engine wont Crank...

Could i take off PATS Module or do i have to go with it into new housing?

AS i know that take off or disable PATS is an inviting to highjack my car.. but who?? will an old Truck??

So which solution? if its against LAW.. please PN me..

I'm sorry as i have low Message, but as i'm german native and normal in german boards..an very helpy there but this problem is quit unique

THX

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Did you include the whole wiring harness with the PCM, PATS, and key cylinder(with key code transmitter)? The PCM computer still needs the proper coded key each time the car starts. If it doesn't receive a key code(programmed into the PATS module), then the PCM disables the ignition.

Does the starter work so far? If not, then something else is going on with the starter circuit. Regards,

Hello ;) Don

had a few post in other sections ;)

Ok.. today i got the key from previous Owner..
and the engine fires up.. and running except the rattling chain ;(

I didnt start digging the engine out because i wont go with whole pats System..
I do have a 12/1998 build and managed today to start with a 95 OHV ?!? (LID0) PCM.. so PATS is disable .. but i need the Key..

So my goal is running the Systen without GEM and PATS ...
Parting out
Fix Chain issue
swap Engine in my Bronco2

thats the plan..

I know that nobody is willing to write down how to deal without Anti Theft ... but i realy wont it in my Bronco.. too much trouble and Cable..
If someone do have information to go with i would a pm with details..

Another Question.. what do "PATS" in the System when you switch it off.. but i need the key.. ?! what for?

The Engine will be the 4th Engine in 6years driving the B2 (2,9* 2,9 * 4,0 OHV)
My Bronco, Sporty both running on pump gas, the donnor Explorer

Ok..

figured out with another post here from Steve, that with one cable grounded in Central Box AND using a SCT Flash PATS is disable and i can start without key..
thats what i needed to go one step forward...

Ah, so there is a wire to bypass the coded keys.

If the goal was a bone stock engine swap, I'd start with a non PATS system, a 97 PCM etc. You don't want to pay for a flasher just to be able to disable PATS.

Given the timing chain issues of the SOHC 4.0, I'd never swap that into anything if I could do a 302 instead. The 302 is so much better, it's no comparison.

The SOHC needs about $200 in parts to fix that, plus the $150+ tool set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don,...

yes only one wire but you need a flasher...

i fired up the engine without pats and VIM module in the back...
at this point its not more cable like a 4,0 OHV in a 2,9 B2 ..

I did a 2,3T swap in my Ranger years ago..
A 2,3T swap in a Ranger or a 4,0 OhV/ SOHC swap in germany is unique!
like a 302 also .. but it must be German TÜV legal..

yep a non pats would be good.. but i got a good deal on the Blacky
I do have the Pro Racer Package from SCT and a Flasher.. only the strategy code was necessary to buy also because i want to stay with my manual.. and shut off electronic 4wd and and..

in germany i would not get legal with a 302 in a B2... but the SOHC will work because i go from a 4,0 to 4,0 ... just more power.. and later maybe a Eaton..

the stock 302 and SOHC have nearly the same power how much wight them?

the timing chain yep. ... thats another goal.. but that i want to do

i did several engine now.. and the sohc will my master piece ;)

Back