Excessive Dealer Fees | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Excessive Dealer Fees

dredrock

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a 2013 XLT Explorer. It is my understanding that some dealers add additional fees not discussed when the order is placed. Other than walking away and possibly losing my deposit are there any ways to prevent this from happening or at least reducing the possibility? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other than walking away and possibly losing my deposit are there any ways to prevent this from happening or at least reducing the possibility? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is VERY UNLIKELY that you would ever lose your deposit. They might make it hard for your refund, but they would not be allowed to keep it, in most States.

Ask what the fees are. Get in writing. If you don't like 'em, vote with your wallet. You ALWAYS have walking power.

When you order it get them to give you a reciept with the amount used to order and include the TOTAL vehicle price ONLY excluding TT@L. Have your salesman sign it and sales manager sign it and get a copy. Good luck i will be ordering my wifes next month.

I am about to pull the trigger on ordering a 2013 XLT Explorer. It is my understanding that some dealers add additional fees not discussed when the order is placed. Other than walking away and possibly losing my deposit are there any ways to prevent this from happening or at least reducing the possibility? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum dredrock.:wavey:
I just checked my contract and here in Ontario I only paid 2 fees to my dealer. A $10 Vehicle Registration Fee and a $36 Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) fee.
As I see it, all fees should be disclosed prior to signing any contract. Good luck.

Peter

I found a line item for Nitrogen filling of tires for 50 bucks!! I was told that all cars that leave the dealership are required.. I replyed " I guess this explorer wont be leaving the dealership today." They took the amount off the sticker.

I think Nitrogen in tires is a big scam. I agree that pure nitrogen will stay in a tire longer than Air. What I don't agree with is that they can get much more than the 78% of nitrogen that is found in air in a tire. They would have to vacuum the tire down then fill with nitrogen. Since most places don't do that, I be surprised of more than 85% nitrogen is in the tire. Which is better than air, but worth the extra cost. I don't think so...

I agree with Blue Raptor. I've never ordered anything or put a deposit down without first coming to an agreement of the final cost. It blows my mind that wouldn't be the first thing you do once you decided to order. If not, it's happy hunting season for the seller to see how many "add-ons" they can rip you off with.

Back