Explorer 'A' pillar replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

Hi guys,

Anyone knows part number / name fo this part?

Cannot find it (searched for all body schemas on exterior parts).

It is explorer 2017

30943bde-86c6-4055-8d7c-7787874fea23.jpeg

Thanks for helping

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'A' pillar trim?

Google "2017 ford explorer front pillar trim" You'll find it.

Thanks guys,
Its BB5Z-7803145-AA

So...a gust of wind just ripped this panel off my 2018 XLT on the highway. Is this a user replaceable part with moderate skills, and does anybody happen to know A) the part number and B) how it comes off (is it just the visible bolts?)?

DD353D34-B196-4E8F-8CF9-D96C86087D00.jpeg

So, my research says I need

Pillar Molding - Ford (BB5Z-7803144-AA)​

Lower Molding - Ford (BB5Z-7803144-BA)​

And potentially the clips, but some people say the clips came with the parts (???) which say they are left and I cannot find a right part number? BB5Z-78519R44-A

Can somebody who has done this replacement confirm the parts come with the weatherstripping? This seems like such a trivial part to take it to Ford over, but the parts diagrams are really iffy about whether the stripping is included or not.

So, my research says I need

Pillar Molding - Ford (BB5Z-7803144-AA)​

Lower Molding - Ford (BB5Z-7803144-BA)​

And potentially the clips, but some people say the clips came with the parts (???) which say they are left and I cannot find a right part number? BB5Z-78519R44-A

Can somebody who has done this replacement confirm the parts come with the weatherstripping? This seems like such a trivial part to take it to Ford over, but the parts diagrams are really iffy about whether the stripping is included or not.
I was able to find an aftermarket solution that includes the full kit, we will see how that works out, as aftermarket parts can be a crapshoot but the Ford part failed, so... Looks like install is trivial per YouTube videos, unscrew old lower, screw in new lower, install snaps and apply some adhesive, install upper. The kit includes weatherstripping on the lower panel.

So...a gust of wind just ripped this panel off my 2018 XLT on the highway. Is this a user replaceable part with moderate skills, and does anybody happen to know A) the part number and B) how it comes off (is it just the visible bolts?)?
Using the 'Search' feature I found and merged your thread with this one. There are several posts on this issue of the moulding coming off.
Check out the first page. Ford apparently includes the plastic clips as part of the package. Initially they did not.

Peter

Add me to the list......I've now lost both A Pillar covers (driver side and passenger side). After reading through this forum, I'm going to not get it dealer repaired at my cost (i'm now into extended warranty coverage, which after reading here, seems to not be covered). I've also had the left roof rack cover come loose, so that is project #2 to tackle assuming it is not covered either....... *edit* The roof rack cover issue is covered, just called in for service (oil change, AC check, and there is a service advisory for loose roof rack covers).

Add me to the list......I've now lost both A Pillar covers (driver side and passenger side). After reading through this forum, I'm going to not get it dealer repaired at my cost (i'm now into extended warranty coverage, which after reading here, seems to not be covered). I've also had the left roof rack cover come loose, so that is project #2 to tackle assuming it is not covered either....... *edit* The roof rack cover issue is covered, just called in for service (oil change, AC check, and there is a service advisory for loose roof rack covers).
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Thanks for the welcome -

I realized your questions for the previous poster were never answered - it seems like the weather strip adheres to the underside of the plastic moulding. When I pre-fit the piece there is a gap between the edge of the plastic and the windshield - where this rubber piece is to go.

I have looked into weather stripping options and found this marvelous image from AliExpress - but it seems any option I find on amazon is more "foamy" and meant for inside doors or other areas and not that direct contact with wind/rain/weather...the surviving side is definitely rubber and not foamy.. View attachment 163663

On the good side - I have been driving for about three weeks now without moulding in place - an no leaks.

Has anyone found a working solution for the weatherstripping question? I know it is on the bottom piece of the a-pillar cover, but I don`t want to spend $100-$200 just to have the weather stripping. I am seriously considering just trying to get a generic weather stripping to work by cutting it as needed.

My wife was driving in a terrible wind storm and the a pillar trim blew off. I bought the inner piece (bracket) and outer trim piece at the dealership. Is it required to replace the bracket or can I use just the outer piece? I'm concerned that the clips may not be strong and that's why it came off. Any one have experience in this repair? It's a 2016 Explorer XLT. thanks, moday

My wife was driving in a terrible wind storm and the a pillar trim blew off. I bought the inner piece (bracket) and outer trim piece at the dealership. Is it required to replace the bracket or can I use just the outer piece? I'm concerned that the clips may not be strong and that's why it came off. Any one have experience in this repair? It's a 2016 Explorer XLT. thanks, moday
Your thread was merged with this one. Hopefully you'll find some help here. When replacing the 'A' pillar, new clips should be used. With earlier repairs it was found that the replacements would also come off because sebera; of those clips broke when being reused. Apparently Ford now includes the clips with the trim piece. Good lcuk.

Peter

Hi guys,

Anyone knows part number / name fo this part?

Cannot find it (searched for all body schemas on exterior parts).

It is explorer 2017

View attachment 317291

Thanks for helping
I just bought a 2017 explorer platinum trim used and noticed that the top portion of the outer trim was not flush. I called my local ford dealer for an appointment at 715am on 5/26/22 and when I got there they advised that it might be a day or 2 to get the parts. I said I already called the parts dept and they are in stock. They then stated that they would need the vehicle a day to get this replaced. What is an appointment for if you cant work on it until next day. Unsure why I thought they would do it on the spot but I just bought the parts and went home to install. Took 30-45 minutes to install and good as new now.

I just bought a 2017 explorer platinum trim used and noticed that the top portion of the outer trim was not flush. I called my local ford dealer for an appointment at 715am on 5/26/22 and when I got there they advised that it might be a day or 2 to get the parts. I said I already called the parts dept and they are in stock. They then stated that they would need the vehicle a day to get this replaced. What is an appointment for if you cant work on it until next day. Unsure why I thought they would do it on the spot but I just bought the parts and went home to install. Took 30-45 minutes to install and good as new now.
How much were the parts if you dont mind my asking.

Did you get the retaining clips as well? The appointment they scheduled may have been to check the issue and not have included the time required to actually do the work.
Did you have to buy both parts #8 and #9? Glass - Windshield for 2017 Ford Explorer | Genuine Ford Auto Parts

Peter

I had my windshield replaced under insurance coverage at Safelite the other day, and they have the A-pillar trim pieces all on hand to replace once the originals are pulled off in order to get the windshield glass cut out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see the question asked a few times and maybe I just missed the answer reading through the rest of the thread, but if you order the Ford A Pillar covers from Ford does it come with the weatherstripping?

For my 2013 Limited the A pillar covers seem solid, but the weatherstripping has deteriorated to the point that there's only about 20-25% coverage on both side. It doesn't really make much noise, but it looks pretty bad and overall the vehicle is pretty clean so it bothers me as its very visible now. I'm ok to just replace both covers and the clips and pay the Ford price if it comes ready to snap on. If i have to figure out my own weatherstripping then I'll look at some cheaper aftermarket parts probably.

Back