Explorer brake controller? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer brake controller?

Post number 2 has been selected as best answered.

MichaelGl

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Does anyone know if ST has built in trailer brake controller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does not, but one can be added, there are provisions for a brake controller in the wire harness under the dash. There is a brake controller pig tail available you will need as well.

Thanks. Do you know where I can get the pig tail?

Your local ford dealer should have one.

I tried to find the plug the other day, but couldn't find it. I found it with no issue on my 2016 platinum, which was totaled a few weeks ago. I upgraded to an ST this weekend, but I didn't find the harness in the same spot as the 2016. Can you give any guidance? I assumed it was right above the gas pedal - I took out the plastic and didn't immediately see it. TIA

I tried to find the plug the other day, but couldn't find it. I found it with no issue on my 2016 platinum, which was totaled a few weeks ago. I upgraded to an ST this weekend, but I didn't find the harness in the same spot as the 2016. Can you give any guidance? I assumed it was right above the gas pedal - I took out the plastic and didn't immediately see it. TIA

Not seen it myself. I recall reading a post where someone with a 2020 Explorer added a trailer brake controller, but I don't recall the exact thread.

I have pulled the panel under the column and can hot find it. Please Help

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Still Looking for some that has done this.

Curt is listing this brake controller harness: Trailer Brake Controller Harness (Packaged) as compatible with the 2020 Explorer ST/Plat (possibly more). This is the same harness that I had on my 2016 Platinum. This leads me to believe that the brake controller harness is available for use and possibly in roughly the same location. I would love to know if anyone knows where it is, as I have done a cursory look but did not find it.

It’s the same harness as for 2019 Explorer as well. The harness connector is located under the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel column. One would have to remove external plastic cover and a couple of metal plates behind it

It’s the same harness as for 2019 Explorer as well. The harness connector is located under the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel column. One would have to remove external plastic cover and a couple of metal plates behind it
It may not be in the same location on the 2020.

Peter

I found the plug on my 2020 ST. Remove the lower dash panel. The plug is under the steering column area attached to beam behind and above the lower air bag. I can send pictures if needed.

I found the plug on my 2020 ST. Remove the lower dash panel. The plug is under the steering column area attached to beam behind and above the lower air bag. I can send pictures if needed.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Pictures are always welcome and usually very helpful.

Peter

This the connector for the brake controller on a 2020 Explorer ST. I just finished my install and it works!.

cONN_LI.jpg

The brake controller connector is below the steering column behind and above the air bag. My chin is only for reference in the attached photo! I installed the
Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. The control unit is hidden away and the control knob is easy to mount.

Tow Connector_1.jpg

Ford Conn_Redarc Splice.jpg

Controller Mounted.jpg

Knob Complete_1.jpg

The brake controller connector is below the steering column behind and above the air bag. My chin is only for reference in the attached photo! I installed the
Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. The control unit is hidden away and the control knob is easy to mount.

Which of their harnesses did you use to plug into the factory Ford plug? They have 2 different ones listed for Ford/Lincoln. TPH-005 and TPH-007.

And where exactly did you mount the box? Can't tell what that piece its attached to is.

Thanks.

Okay I'm a bit incredulous now.... I went through all this nonsense with my 2018 Explorer Platinum. Nobody I talked to had any idea until I ran across a salesman who use to be a parts guy and he pointed the way.

Now I have an Aviator coming with a "Tow Package" for $500 which my salesman assured me would include an electric brake controller just like Ford puts on their pickups. Are you guys telling me it isn't going to have a brake controller included in that $500 price?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay I'm a bit incredulous now.... I went through all this nonsense with my 2018 Explorer Platinum. Nobody I talked to had any idea until I ran across a salesman who use to be a parts guy and he pointed the way.

Now I have an Aviator coming with a "Tow Package" for $500 which my salesman assured me would include an electric brake controller just like Ford puts on their pickups. Are you guys telling me it isn't going to have a brake controller included in that $500 price?

Nowhere in the order guide does it say Trailer Brake Controller.

Screenshot_20191218-075854_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Back