Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn’t know it was supposed to be 35psi. At least I’m not that far off. The couple times I had it at the dealer they like putting it at 31psi. 🤦‍♂️ FWIW My ‘07 explorer I used to keep at 37psi.

My speed is definitely a factor. Sometimes I forget it’s still technically an suv

I didn’t know it was supposed to be 35psi. At least I’m not that far off. The couple times I had it at the dealer they like putting it at 31psi. 🤦‍♂️ FWIW My ‘07 explorer I used to keep at 37psi.

My speed is definitely a factor. Sometimes I forget it’s still technically an suv
Yes, you have to be too low on tire pressure for it to be a real factor, 30 psi should be the limit. I normally fill to 35 but the suspension feels rigid there until it naturally drops to 32 or 33. I believe tire monitor lights up under 30.
As for the speed, do a experiment on cruise control and the onboard computer. Try 15 or 20 minutes in 65, then 70 and so on, remember to reset the MPG monitor on each step, then you can know how much you are sacrificing. The rise in fuel consumption is exponential, mostly because of the air drag. As a rule of thumb the last drive at 2k rpms will be the limit, beyond that the rise is exponential for the transmission also.

I’ll have to try that out one day.

Also any of you guys take off your crossbars and see a difference in gas mileage? My old Grand Cherokee it netted me another 2mpg. My ‘07 explorer it was maybe 1mpg

Adding onto this discussion. I've got a 2013 XLT (V6) that dropped MPGs after 100,000 miles.
I had been seeing 21 MPG average, with a good mix of City and Urban driving. That started to decrease into the 16-17 MPG range.

Tires inflated - Check
Change Spark Plugs - Check
Correct Gap - Check
Change Fuel Injectors - Check

The oil and air filters are changed regularly, and the transmission fluid is swapped for new at the recommended intervals.
I also added a new pulley tensioner and belt since the old ones were worn out.

After all that, I still see no improvement.

Are there any other recommended changes that I can make?
Could this be a timing issue? Or maybe a dirty fuel line / fuel filter?

Occasionally, if it is a really hot day, and the engine was already hot, it may take a few extra seconds for the engine to start. But normally it starts just fine.

Throttle body? :dunno: There is no replaceable fuel filter. It is part of the fuel pump.

Peter

Throttle body? :dunno: There is no replaceable fuel filter. It is part of the fuel pump.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I'll hit the Mass Air Flow Sensor with some cleaner, and clean the throttle body too. Maybe a leaf or something worked backed there. I haven't noticed any rough idle issues, but it is worth a shot.

To your point on the fuel filter, yes having it in one piece with the pump makes it much harder. I haven't heard of a lot of people replacing the pump on this model yet, so I wasn't sure if it was going to become more common as they start to age. I have tried gas tank additives, but no general improvement.

Adding onto this discussion. I've got a 2013 XLT (V6) that dropped MPGs after 100,000 miles.
I had been seeing 21 MPG average, with a good mix of City and Urban driving. That started to decrease into the 16-17 MPG range.

Tires inflated - Check
Change Spark Plugs - Check
Correct Gap - Check
Change Fuel Injectors - Check

The oil and air filters are changed regularly, and the transmission fluid is swapped for new at the recommended intervals.
I also added a new pulley tensioner and belt since the old ones were worn out.

After all that, I still see no improvement.

Are there any other recommended changes that I can make?
Could this be a timing issue? Or maybe a dirty fuel line / fuel filter?

Occasionally, if it is a really hot day, and the engine was already hot, it may take a few extra seconds for the engine to start. But normally it starts just fine.
Did you use original Motorcraft spark plugs and fuel injectors?
when was the last time you replaced the coolant and thermostat?
The hot starting difficulty could be a sign of a too hot engine, vacuum leak.
How do you feel the power? do you feel it the same or do you feel you have to accelerate more now?

sorry for the "20 questions" jeje

Did you use original Motorcraft spark plugs and fuel injectors?
when was the last time you replaced the coolant and thermostat?
The hot starting difficulty could be a sign of a too hot engine, vacuum leak.
How do you feel the power? do you feel it the same or do you feel you have to accelerate more now?

sorry for the "20 questions" jeje
Yes, original Motorcraft parts.

I flushed the coolant and replaced at the same time (100K mile mark). The temp gauge doesn't go over the half way point. But, I haven't changed the thermostat on it yet.

I wouldn't say that it was ever a "peppy acceleration" but the power does seem more sluggish now than before.

Yes, original Motorcraft parts.

I flushed the coolant and replaced at the same time (100K mile mark). The temp gauge doesn't go over the half way point. But, I haven't changed the thermostat on it yet.

I wouldn't say that it was ever a "peppy acceleration" but the power does seem more sluggish now than before.
One other thing that I could think of is the oxygen sensors. They are a bit pricy, about 100 each. I would suggest a technician to look at the truck before you start throwing parts at it. I suggest you look for some great mechanics on youtube like Scotty Kilmer, Ford Boss Me, Eric the Car Guy, Humble Mechanic, and see which is close to you and visit one of them. I would go to Ford Tech Makuloco but he´s in Illinois, quite a drive from you.

I might do the O2 sensors(front only) at every 100k miles, that's low cost maintenance. Check the actual running coolant temps are they high enough? There should be a fuel filter, it should be replaced every couple of years or maybe 25k miles.

I might do the O2 sensors(front only) at every 100k miles, that's low cost maintenance. Check the actual running coolant temps are they high enough? There should be a fuel filter, it should be replaced every couple of years or maybe 25k miles.
I would do the sensors too.
About the fuel filter, this generation doesn´t have one, it´s on the fuel pump. You would need to replace the fuel pump. I believe it´s not actually a filter but a strainer, not 100% sure of it thou. But 100% sure they don´t have the usual inline canister. When I had a 2010 I replaced it. The 2011+ don´t have one.

That sounds very odd, I would dig deeper into that. All fuel pumps have a strainer on the bottom for big debris. Those are no good for general fuel filtering. If you bypassed a normal fuel filter, it would effect the engine eventually with the crap a proper filter catches. I always pour out the old fuel from a removed filter, the gas is filthy that comes out of the inlet side.

That would be very weird to have no fuel filter. It may be they put a fine screen version with the pump, but the filter would need to be replaced more often than the pump. Leaving a fuel filter on for too many years will plug up and cause the engine to run lean, and not run. I've had that happen with a past used Explorer withing a month of buying it. I hadn't gotten around to replacing that filter yet. I rebuilt the worn out suspension first, then did most of the fluids and filters. The fuel filter and gear oil were about the last things I needed to do, plus the belt and idler pulleys. The truck died going to work, and had to be towed a short distance to work, where I checked fuel pressure, etc.

That sounds very odd, I would dig deeper into that. All fuel pumps have a strainer on the bottom for big debris. Those are no good for general fuel filtering. If you bypassed a normal fuel filter, it would effect the engine eventually with the crap a proper filter catches. I always pour out the old fuel from a removed filter, the gas is filthy that comes out of the inlet side.

That would be very weird to have no fuel filter. It may be they put a fine screen version with the pump, but the filter would need to be replaced more often than the pump. Leaving a fuel filter on for too many years will plug up and cause the engine to run lean, and not run. I've had that happen with a past used Explorer withing a month of buying it. I hadn't gotten around to replacing that filter yet. I rebuilt the worn out suspension first, then did most of the fluids and filters. The fuel filter and gear oil were about the last things I needed to do, plus the belt and idler pulleys. The truck died going to work, and had to be towed a short distance to work, where I checked fuel pressure, etc.
Fuel filter on 2011+ explorers

So I know these aren't exactly the most fuel efficient vehicles around but I'm curious what others are getting so I know how my truck is doing. The attached picture is 50/50 city/highway
20210908_215436.jpg

So I know these aren't exactly the most fuel efficient vehicles around but I'm curious what others are getting so I know how my truck is doing. The attached picture is 50/50 city/highwayView attachment 342379
Btw NO I'm not concerned about my mpg really, I didn't buy the explorer for gas mileage I'm just curious how mine compares to everyone else

There is already a thread on this and yours has been merged with it here. That is why it is recommended to first use the "Search' feature before beginning a new thread. Thank you.

Peter

There is already a thread on this and yours has been merged with it here. That is why it is recommended to first use the "Search' feature before beginning a new thread. Thank you.

Peter
Thank you Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Btw NO I'm not concerned about my mpg really, I didn't buy the explorer for gas mileage I'm just curious how mine compares to everyone else
I got about 22-23 mpg on a trip from PA to Maine. That was lower due to being all loaded up and the "Yak Rack" roof basket with the bag 'o stuff up there. I've seen as high as 26-27 on a highway cruise from VA to PA without the crossbars in moderate temps with light traffic. Normal commute seems to be around 20-22. Coming from an 07 Expedition EL, these mpg are stellar. :D

Back