Explorer hood vibrates | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

Did you happen to snap a photo of what it looked like in the separated state?
I didn't as it's not visually obvious. it is easy to confirm though. just remove the plastic fasteners (carefully not to drop in the engine area which I did ;) ) then just lightly touch the hood by the epoxy and you will see it flex (away from the supports and show a 'gap between the epoxy and the hood)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All-I recently purchased a 2016 Explorer and noticed the hood vibrating at highway speeds, typically over 70mph. Seems worse on windy days or when passing a semi. Been through the hood stops adjustment dance already and it didn't solve the problem. Anyone have or had this issue? If so, what was the fix? Any TSB's on this? Thanks!!!

I've noticed this same thing on my 17. Been actually meaning to look into adjusting the hood stops. Watching this thread.

I've noticed this same thing on my 17. Been actually meaning to look into adjusting the hood stops. Watching this thread.
Didn't seem to help my situation. Taking it to the body shop Thurs. am. Will post any update. I have a bad feeling it's a design issue. Trying to ignore it but it makes me crazy

Just as a fyi I have never noticed any vibration on my 2016's hood.

My 2018 XLT has a little flutter to the hood metal at highway speeds on windy days. It isn’t the hood moving, it’s the metal flexing a bit due to aerodynamic pressure. It seems like maybe the hood is longer than most FWD designs and maybe a little less braced than a lot of short-hooded modern vehicles. I remember a LOT more flexing on say, my 90s Tbird, than on most of the shorter hooded FWD vehicles I’ve driven in the past. About the only other FWD design I’ve driven with this long of a hood was a Pontiac Bonneville.

My 2018 XLT has a little flutter to the hood metal at highway speeds on windy days. It isn’t the hood moving, it’s the metal flexing a bit due to aerodynamic pressure. It seems like maybe the hood is longer than most FWD designs and maybe a little less braced than a lot of short-hooded modern vehicles. I remember a LOT more flexing on say, my 90s Tbird, than on most of the shorter hooded FWD vehicles I’ve driven in the past. About the only other FWD design I’ve driven with this long of a hood was a Pontiac Bonneville.
Ok, that makes sense, slight flexing of the metal. If that's the case, I would guess I have to live with it. I assume you have learned to ignore it.

Yeah, mine does this and I'm sure part of this is the fact that it's an aluminum hood so more flex. I've given up even noticing it any more TBH and the last thing I'd want is my dealer trying to "fix it".... ;)

Read from another post that the hood "skin" was not properly attached to the support structure. Looks like they use some sort of black caulk like adhesive. I removed the insulation blanket and found at least 6 places where the skin was loose from the support structure. I am trying an experiment where i put shims in to tighten up the bond (not a permanent fix) and will test it out on the freeway later. Will post the results.

Read from another post that the hood "skin" was not properly attached to the support structure. Looks like they use some sort of black caulk like adhesive. I removed the insulation blanket and found at least 6 places where the skin was loose from the support structure. I am trying an experiment where i put shims in to tighten up the bond (not a permanent fix) and will test it out on the freeway later. Will post the results.
Welcome to the Forum Mark,:wave:
Your thread has now been merged with this one found using the Search feature.
If still under warranty see if dealer will fix it under the warranty. Mine does it a little at higher speed when it it really windy.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mark,:wave:
Your thread has now been merged with this one found using the Search feature.
If still under warranty see if dealer will fix it under the warranty. Mine does it a little at higher speed when it it really windy.

Peter
Hi Peter-I was wondering what happened to my thread then found this one. I am not under warranty but will push for a new hood or better adhesion.

Update-Body shop looked at my hood and noted the lack of proper adhesion between the hood frame and the sheet metal hood cover. Ford has agreed to replace the hood. ONE OTHER THING THAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR-Along the front or leading edge of the hood the body shop noticed 6 spots where the aluminum was corroding. They said this was an issue with some vehicles due to poor grade aluminum. This was also a reason Ford agreed to replace the hood. Check your hood, the surface will be rough, you'll know it when you see it (hope you don't see it though). If you find it, I would suggest your pursue a replacement hood. It will only get worse and is typically not covered by extended warranties.

Update-Body shop looked at my hood and noted the lack of proper adhesion between the hood frame and the sheet metal hood cover. Ford has agreed to replace the hood. ONE OTHER THING THAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR-Along the front or leading edge of the hood the body shop noticed 6 spots where the aluminum was corroding. They said this was an issue with some vehicles due to poor grade aluminum. This was also a reason Ford agreed to replace the hood. Check your hood, the surface will be rough, you'll know it when you see it (hope you don't see it though). If you find it, I would suggest your pursue a replacement hood. It will only get worse and is typically not covered by extended warranties.
Here you go Mark; Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter

Any updates on this? I had my hood replaced on my 2018 under warranty for the corrosion but it fluttered with the old hood as well as the new hood.

Any updates on this? I had my hood replaced on my 2018 under warranty for the corrosion but it fluttered with the old hood as well as the new hood.
None at all I simply tightened the spring latch mechanism and it got better. But ultimately the hood is very thin aluminum so it’s going to flex somewhat.

None at all I simply tightened the spring latch mechanism and it got better. But ultimately the hood is very thin aluminum so it’s going to flex somewhat.
I just watched your video. Whooo... that's a lot of movement. The flutter I'm experiencing is at the pressure drop area by the cowl.

Did you see post #181? Perhaps you have the same issue.

Peter

I saw that Peter, but it happened on both my original hood, and the new hood replaced under warranty by Ford just last summer. Too similar to be an accidental lack of epoxy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back