Explorer hood vibrates | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

I am having the same issue with my 17 explorer platinum. Check the adhesive attach points under the insulation. The adhesive was dis-bonded from the upper and lower sections of the hood. Its been to the dealership three times as well.

I brought it to a different dealership today and removed the insulation for the body shop manager. I showed him where the adhesive was not attached and he agreed with me that was the source of the problem.

The new dealership said they could repair the hood, but thought putting new adhesive in-between the upper and lower sections would not be a proper repair. They suggested putting a new hood on and was going to seek approval from Ford. They said they would get back to me on Monday. 4/10/17 I will keep you posted, hopefully they are not giving me lip service like the last dealership.

Check the video of the adhesive attach points under my hood in post #156 above.

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, I'm a newby to this site.
I bought my 2016 Explorer Platinum September 2016 and since day one I've noticed that my hood shakes violently at 70 mph +. I've had it back to the dealership 3 times and they can't find a problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this exiting one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right).

Peter

Just adding a me too -

My 2016 XSport hood vibrates/lifts as I drive down the interstate. I's say its moving up down around 1/4 - 1/2 inch. It's a bit unnerving. I can grab the front of the hood with my fingers when closed/latched and wiggle it up and down and thus the source appears to be at the latch. I've looked down in the latch and there appears to be a spring that dampens movement. I'd surmise it simply isn't strong enough. I couldn't find any place to adjust it. Love to know what the fix is -

The only thing that may vibrate is the hood's sheet aluminum, usually in the middle. I get that with mine at speed and with a fairly strong wind. You should not be able to lift the front at all when the hood is latched. I haven't checked to see if there is anything to adjust. If there is no adjustment I suggest you have the dealer take a look at it.

Peter

The only thing that may vibrate is the hood's sheet aluminum, usually in the middle. I get that with mine at speed and with a fairly strong wind. You should not be able to lift the front at all when the hood is latched. I haven't checked to see if there is anything to adjust. If there is no adjustment I suggest you have the dealer take a look at it.

Peter

For your viewing pleasure.. While at highways speeds the hood lifts up and down like a screen door in a tornado.

I've only read bits and pieces of this thread and keep seeing the word "normal". It is not "normal" for a hood to vibrate at only 70 MPH.

So the video above, seems to show the flex from the seals and plastic/fiberglass ... Where I see the "movement" is in the skin but not all that much in reality and being aluminium it is a lighter/softer metal for sure.

So the video above, seems to show the flex from the seals and plastic/fiberglass ... Where I see the "movement" is in the skin but not all that much in reality and being aluminium it is a lighter/softer metal for sure.

Not that much movement is not a good thing. If you have movement in anything that travels at high speeds, the movement can potentially get worse, especially when out the ordinary circumstances occur, such as much higher than normal wind speeds, etc.

The video is showing the flex right at the latch. Notice the blue oval at the bottom left. Movement is dead center on the hood right at the latch. If the latch flexes that much then the whole hood will move along with it..

I have no idea what you mean when you say you see movement in the skin. The only thing moving on the video is the hood..

Our hood is flexing too. Guess we'll have it looked at next time in the shop since we already have a appointment regarding the heated/cooled seats and the heated steering wheel which do not reset after a ignition cycle and stay on for the next time we start up. No other ford we had in the past did that. It may be normal for the 2017.

Our hood is flexing too. Guess we'll have it looked at next time in the shop since we already have a appointment regarding the heated/cooled seats and the heated steering wheel which do not reset after a ignition cycle and stay on for the next time we start up. No other ford we had in the past did that. It may be normal for the 2017.
I don't believe that heated/cooled seats turn OFF after an ignition cycle. I just tried mine and they came back ON at the point where they were set when the ignition was turned OFF. As for the heated steering wheel, that will stay on until you turn it OFF in the 'Climate' screen.

Peter

For your viewing pleasure.. While at highways speeds the hood lifts up and down like a screen door in a tornado.
I just tried lifting mine and they is absolutely no play in it at all. When I press down hard there is just a very slight movement as I hear the rubber stops compressing. Not something it would do under driving conditions.

Peter

Good video. Before taking it to the dealer you might try adjusting the hood latch. I just checked out my 2017 Base and can see that there are two 8mm bolts holding the hood latch to the bracket above the radiator. By loosening these you should be able to move the latch down a slight bit to bring the hood into tighter contact with the rubber bumpers on the fender. Make sure to mark the location of the hood release before you loosen it because the latch will move from side to side as well as up and down. The rubber bumpers at the front of the fenders are also adjustable in that they are threaded and can be moved up and down by turning them by hand. Worth a try don't you think?

I don't believe that heated/cooled seats turn OFF after an ignition cycle. I just tried mine and they came back ON at the point where they were set when the ignition was turned OFF. As for the heated steering wheel, that will stay on until you turn it OFF in the 'Climate' screen.

Peter
Good to know that ours isn't the only one. As i said before, this is the very first Ford/Lincoln that stays on. Mentioned it to the service advisor and he wasn't sure if it's normal or not. Looked it up and told us it should not be on when restarting the vehicle. Hope he's correct.

well good news on this one.. I had the problem with the hood vibrating, and I took a quick look under the heat shield on the inside and confirmed that the epoxy has separated on the hood side of the bond. I brought it to the dealership who had to go through the usual trip to the body shop to check.adjust the alignment. after that failed (as expected by both me and the service guy) they called ford and confirmed the hood needed to be replaced. I got that done this week and the problem is now gone (for how long.. who knows)..

The main issue I had and raised with the dealer is that if you are driving east in the morning, you can get just the right angle to have the vibrating cause the light reflect to be pretty bad/annoying and it becomes a safety issue.

Good to see that ford has recognized the issue and replaced the hood.

well good news on this one.. I had the problem with the hood vibrating, and I took a quick look under the heat shield on the inside and confirmed that the epoxy has separated on the hood side of the bond. I brought it to the dealership who had to go through the usual trip to the body shop to check.adjust the alignment. after that failed (as expected by both me and the service guy) they called ford and confirmed the hood needed to be replaced. I got that done this week and the problem is now gone (for how long.. who knows)..

The main issue I had and raised with the dealer is that if you are driving east in the morning, you can get just the right angle to have the vibrating cause the light reflect to be pretty bad/annoying and it becomes a safety issue.

Good to see that ford has recognized the issue and replaced the hood.
Is that replaced AND painted?

Is that replaced AND painted?

Replaced, Painted, and ALSO the 3M shield that the dealer installed when I bought it (since I bought it from them, and have only had the vehicle < 3 months they replaced that as well)

needless to say I was happy with the service from the dealership/ford on this issue ;)

Did you happen to snap a photo of what it looked like in the separated state?

Did you happen to snap a photo of what it looked like in the separated state?
Check out post #156 (page 7) in this thread.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got back from a 3,600 mile trip. Much of the interstate highway driving was in the 75-80+ mph range. At those speeds I noticed a very slight fluttering of the center of the hood closer to the windshield. At this point it's not enough to be concerned with since we don't usually drive at those speeds at home.

Whimsey

Back