Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Finally got around to installing my two H3R fire extinguishers today. I'd been running with a small $10 kitchen ABC for years, and seeing as the thought of watching my truck burn away in from of me makes me want to hang myself, I thought I'd upgrade. I got the two extinguishers below:

The black one: 2.5 Halguard Halotron clean agent extinguisher (no residue, no corrosion, etc)

The Red one: 2.5 MaxOut Automotive Dry Chem extinguisher

Ext1.jpg

I decided to mount them on the rear window sills. Because I'd be mounting into the plastic, I made sure the cut heavy metal brackets to increase the support for the mount so it wasn't just screws through plastic. The last thing I want is these things ripping out in an accident and becoming deadly projectiles. I also considered that they'll be in sunlight in the summer and could get pretty hot, but I know a good many people who have interior mounted extinguishers in similar locations without issue. The tint will help keep the sun at bay a bit, if if it's a bad heat wave, I can always cover them or pop them out.

Anyway, onto the install. The white brackets are the ones I created to increase support. Cut them from 1/4 steel and drilled them to match the brackets.

Ext2.jpg

I then lined the brackets up where I wanted them on the sills and drilled.

Ext3.jpg

Dropped the screws through the brackets and the steel braces:

Ext4-1.jpg

From underneath:

Ext5.jpg

Voila.

Ext6.jpg

Rinse and repeat for the reverse side:

Ext7.jpg

And the finished product:

Ext8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks nice and clean! I mounted mine similarly. Since it doesn't get used (thankfully) it became a convenient spot to wedge gloves and glasses next to the window. I like the axe too, needs a halligan above it!

Nice! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Badge - I can't find a reasonably priced halligan or it'd be there!

That does look good Jason, see the reason you wanted to pull the panels out now :p:. Well another new idea for the Ex....

Nice clean install. I mounted a rechargable tactical flashlight next to the rear lift gate lock switch along with a 12v DC outlet. Your install has inspired me. One question though. what did you use to mount the Axe to the back seat flap?? Does it have a quick release ability?

Nice clean install. I mounted a rechargable tactical flashlight next to the rear lift gate lock switch along with a 12v DC outlet. Your install has inspired me. One question though. what did you use to mount the Axe to the back seat flap?? Does it have a quick release ability?

It's actually kinda ghetto-rigged. I wanted a legit quick-release system, but after searching tirelessly and not wanting to spend $100 on a fire apparatus mounting system, I did the best I could. It's basically U-bolts bolted through the flap and secured with wing-nuts and on the reverse side. They're tight, but there isn't any excess thread, so it would only take a quick 2-3 turns on each nut for them to drop off. It's not ideal, but it's fast and it works.

did those come with the mounting kit?

did those come with the mounting kit?

I do vaguely recall ordering the brackets in addition to the extinguishers. It wasn't cheap, but I'm honestly not 100% sure - you'd have to check the site.

I really need to install an extinguisher in my B2. Only thing I can add to your cool install would be a leather sheath around the cutting edge of the ax. Not only for safety, but keep edge from rusting if some oil was put on first then sheath.

Back