First snow expedition (with an explorer) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First snow expedition (with an explorer)

Hey guys! I haven't really posted on this forum, i mostly look for tips and how-tos. I really love the site. But anyways, I'm jus some 18 y/o adult who jus graduated hs last year and as my present I received a 1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer! Very nice and clean with good condition everything pretty much and I pieced it together myself and with the help of my friends to get it ready for inspection. I go offroading occasionally, water puddles on trails, mud pits, and today i went on a snow trail with a '93 Wrangler and a '00 Cherokee.

and we're havin a good 'ol time goin up the mountain...
2203_10150141928485861_561660860_8324661_4239804_n.jpg

we kinda forgot that they don't plow up there but we still chugged on up the mountain..

4970_10150141919825861_561660860_8324569_4816194_n.jpg

And we stop at one mountain top...
3070_10150141919555861_561660860_8324566_1457696_n.jpg

By this time i'm already sliding (due to bald tires)
3537_10150141918625861_561660860_8324551_5101825_n.jpg

and here's the fun part. we all get sucked into a ditch on the side one the road. first the wrangler, then my explorer...
4694_10150141918630861_561660860_8324550_3980469_n.jpg

and then the cherokee gets sucked in after he tries to find a spot to pull me to.
2887_10150141918815861_561660860_8324552_5669946_n.jpg

So here we are. all stuck. with no cell service, small shovels, tow strap and a chain. and a hand winch of some sort.
3959_10150141918435861_561660860_8324545_7688057_n.jpg

pulling, pushing, digging, packing, thinking, and FREEZING our faces off we're about to give up......

and this heaven sent random pickup truck comes rolling down the road and comes and pulls me out no problem.
3347_10150141919425861_561660860_8324564_6460724_n.jpg

and we make it back down the hill to solid ground.
3887_10150141919075861_561660860_8324556_4221500_n.jpg

never have i been so happy to see pavement. We'll prob never go on a snow trail again, but it was a great experience. everyone is okay along with our vehicles

after a long day for both of us I decided to treat the Explorer to a well deserved car wash for being such a champ.
1988_10150141964725861_561660860_8325231_2310955_n.jpg

I think i'm going to keep my explorations more on the urban side, as opposed to the rural part of my town.

hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading, and keep 'er movin!

god bless

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will look at that. Never really wanted to use chains because of the wheel speed. 50mph + when trying to fourth gear through snow. :) They do well when its sections of snow but if its real deep everywhere not so good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will look at that. Never really wanted to use chains because of the wheel speed. 50mph + when trying to fourth gear through snow. :) They do well when its sections of snow but if its real deep everywhere not so good.

I agree and disagree, the wheel speed is slowed and you obv cant go 80mph but i rode in about 2-3 feet of snow with bald front tires and chains and got through everything, didnt get stuck once. Theres a couple different type of chains the regular chains wont get you through deep snow. The v bar chains keep digging until you hit solid material then off you go. At that point its more of a cruising around quad in the snow not a race quad, i strongly recomend the v-bar chains and they were only about 50 dollars and take about 2 min to bolt up. If i want to go really fast ill grab a snowmobile lol

Very interesting. I haven't ever looked into chains for anything. Those V bar chains look wicked nasty :) May have to try it. If I bring my quads up here to WY for the spring summer fall may have to grab some since there are plent of forest service roads here that we could ride on.

And yeah cruise would work but would have to hold back from slamming through the gears. :) what I did am had good luck when coral pink has snow is run 2.5 psi in the rears and pin it to the top gears with the nubbys. We tried paddles in the snow they sucked. They would dig down more than they would push you forward.

May look into those for the rear of my truck to.

Here was our last WY snow wheeling pics. You can see a few of these pictures how the trucks are sunk but you can see the people just walking right on top of the snow. SO hard on top. No fun to wheel in but its all there is here so i'll take it.
100_0941.JPG

That's as far as I could get through there.
100_0943.JPG

My friends F-150
100_0946.JPG

100_0947.JPG

100_0948.JPG

You can see my wife just standing on the snow. You could stomp for all your worth and you wouldn't go anywhere. The trucks would go on top then fall through and you where then stuck with really hard ice snow all around you.
100_0949.JPG

Kinda deep! :)
100_0950.JPG

It looks more like ice than snow.
100_0967.JPG

Dude, don't say you'll never go snow wheelin' again, snow wheelin' is awesome. instead, just say you'll get a winch or something.

hell, the risk of getting stuck adds to the thrill of the more difficult offroading, my friends and i have been pretty damn stuck and broken way out in the middle of nowhere, alone, with only a few tools. yet somehow we always manage to get out and get home. it's a blast dude. besides, you had fun, a good adrenalin rush, and you have a good story to tell now, right?

@corkey, yeah now that i think about it and realize that everything is okay, it was pretty fun overall and yes ik this lol thanks i'm lookin for a set now.

@cozmik, hope you got the fun you wanted! and those are the tires i was lookin to put on my ex thanks for lettin me know how you feel about them!

@prt, haha thats EXACTLY what happened to all three of us.

@wood, thanks man!

@Baddecision, thanks for the tip. and it's called old barbours trail/road..i forget. it's meant for offroading and such.

@turbo, HOLY SNOW. those are some great pics tho thanks for sharing! any tips for snow-sand wheeling? you never know who might need some...and i really like your tailights btw are they painted or did u buy them like that?

@rhauf, you are totally right! it was a great adr. rush we were amped all day pretty much lol. and we will come more prepared if/when we do it again. the wrangler did have a winch buuuuut he didn't think we'd need it so he didn't bring it -.- and yes we do have a great story to tell!

@Glen, thanks! i get my check today so hopefully i'll find a set of decent used AT tires. i have my eyes on a set of BFGs.

Thanks I love my tail lights, they have a thick vinyl tint on them. Its way expensive and has to be heated to be applied but once its heated it will form so you can get it to do the curves on the tail light. My buddy owned a tint shop in Salt Lake city that did it for me for his cost and was still $70 or so. Turned out great you can see the lights through it really well and they still reflect to so its fully legal.!!

As far as tips go air down a little makes a huge difference in all off road snow I usually just go to 28-30 so you can drive home without haveing to air back up. Rocks and sand I go to 22-23. My brother in his first gen goes to 16-18 but he is WAY lighter than my second gen V8. In snow if its wicked deep try to stay straight as best as possible you spin the wheels and swing the rear end around then you will have all four tires trying to get through the snow. If the snow is deeper than your ground clearance be prepared to give her he'll or get stuck. Careful when in snow you never know what is under it, nasty rocks or sticks or holes. Went calling last weekend and had that problem ended up four feet off the road, it looked like the road, but was a drift ill have to post pics. Was so deep on my drivers side couldn't hardly open the door. Dans wyoming snow it was hard so driving was fine then ban it fell through that ice crust and was stuck good took two and a half hours to dig it out. Right side of truck was only in 8 inches of snow or so and we Never found the dirt on the drivers side. Always take good shovels!

100_0989.JPG

You can see when it fell through the center of the truck was sitting on that hard ice snow which made it VERY difficult to move the truck.
100_0990.JPG

This is after we have moved snow out of the way.
100_0993.JPG

You can see in this picture how much snow we had to shovel. We had to dig out behind it and under it because we where more or less high centered on the ice snow. So we finally got it to back up and then we had to shovel snow out from in front so after that most of the snow under the truck was moved. It was then much easier to move the truck but since it was on the side hill I talked about earlier it kept wanting to slide down into the drift. Took forever.
You can see where the truck was on top of the ice crust then where it fell through.
100_0995.JPG

Meh, you could say it was deep!

100_0996.JPG

Dig to the side to get the ice out from under the truck.
100_0997.JPG

Buddy standing in a hole he dug still not to the bottom.
100_1000.JPG

That's the hole its another two feet down from where the truck was sitting. Will be interesting in the spring to go back there and see what the terrain looks like there when its not covered in snow drift.
100_1004.JPG

Camping was fun though! Windy but fun.

@turbo, yeah they'd go perfect for my ex cuz i want a blacked out type look and those def would give me that. but thanks a lot for the tips and sharing more pics! looks like you have an interesting time out there lol.

Not sure what the exact product name of the vinyl is but ill try to find out. Buddy is on a cruise right now so will try to remember to ask when he gets back.

Always great wheelin! If you aren't stuck or can't get up something your not wheelin hard enough! :) I don't beat up the rig but its been through some awesome stuff! Lots of great pics, rocks are the best to wheel. Sliders make that way better, no worries about crushing the body. Wheel smart and its amazing how far you can get!

Back