Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

After some exploration, I’ve figured out how to modify the foglamp circuit for a 2001 Explorer so that the foglamps stay on with the high beams. This mod is actually much easier, IMHO, than for the earlier models.

First, I located the relay box. It’s mounted to the same plate that holds the bottom of the airbox. I got into it, and here’s what I found:

1. There are sockets for a total of six relays, two large (the size of a conventional Bosch relay) and four smaller relays, in a 1 2 1 2 configuration. The six sockets were arranged like this, with socket 1 being toward the front of the vehicle:

2 3
5 6

On my Explorer, socket 1 was empty from the factory.

2. The small type relays in sockets 2 and 3 control the foglamps. Why two relays? One to turn on the foglamps when the parking lamps go on, the second to turn off the foglamps when the high beams come on.

3. By checking the wiring on the back of the relay sockets, I came to the conclusion that relay 2 as shown above turned off the foglamps. Why? It was wired so that power flowed when the relay was _NOT_ energized.

4. The small relays, Ford part number F57B-14B192-AA, SPST relays. There are 5 pins on the relay, laid out as follows:

| | |
| | |
2 4 1

Pins 3 and 5 are .25" wide; pins 1, 2, and 4 are smaller, about .187".

The corresponding sockets are not numbered at all that I can detect.

5. Relay 2 is wired so that power flows from pin 3 to pin 4 when the relay is not energized. Only when the relay is energized is the power cut off. Power goes from pin 4 of relay 2 to the control circuit side, pin 1, of relay 3. In other words, run a jumper from the furthest away wide socket to the center narrow socket of relay 2, and the foglamps don't go off when the high beams come on.

6. To make the foglamps stay on when the high beams come on, I removed relay 2 and ran a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 4. Just as simple as that.

7. I made a jumper from 16 ga. wire with a male spade connector on each end. For the wide connector I used 3M from Wal-Mart. For the narrow connector I used Radio Shack #64-3134. I didn't measure, but the assembled length of the whole thing was about 2" to 2.25". Jumpered pin 3 to pin 4 and it works like a charm.

The whole procedure took about 20 minutes to actually do, but would have been 5 minutes or so shorter, less the following: When wrestling with the airbox, (a) It came loose suddenly, (b) My head banged into the hood, (c) The drop light fell, breaking the bulb, and (d) I had to find a new bulb for the drop light.

This worked on my 2001. I suspect it will work on any 1999 to 2001 Explorer where the foglamps already come on with the parking lights, and it may be useful for the 2002s and later.

BTW, the wiring to the fog lamps is badly undersized and the pins on the bulbs are badly undersized also. My bulbs are the, I think, 9145s, that have an H-1 bulb grafted onto an adapter. No way I'm going to go over wattage with this dinky wiring.

--
FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann mailto:edlmann@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took a look just now and I have 3 spots open. 1, 2, 4 are all empty with 3 being used with the one large relay.

headlight_relays.jpg

The only relay I have is the large square one, there's nothing else in the relay box. The fogs work fine other than the whole "I'm not going on with the headlights because I'm a little ******* that likes to tease" thing. Any ideas?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Mine looked the same. You want to mod the small relay, 2nd from right (i.e. the relays beside the empty space). You've got 2 to choose from in that bank. Use the upper one. Use Aldive's photo from the previous page to ascertain which piece to cut. Dead easy.

Alright, I'll pop that off and take a look. Thanks celly.

Update: Just went out there and took a look, what I found baffled me. Instead of taking a shot at it and screwing up, I decided to take a few pics and double check. Here's what I've got going on (pictures taken while standing at the front end looking down and yes, in the first one the relay isn't fully on):

DSCF4215.jpg

DSCF4214.jpg

DSCF4213.jpg

Is that relay even capable of controlling the fog lights or is that for something else? I don't really know.

What is nice about this mod is after it is completed,
you can run the "Fog Lights" with only the parking lights on.

What is nice about this mod is after it is completed, you can run the "Fog Lights" with only the parking lights on.

I could do that before the mod. Not sure I follow. :confused:

Piece of cake on my 2001 XLT! Make sure you jumper pin 3 to pin 4. I initially jumped 5 to 4 with no luck. I learned that jumping pin 5 to pin 4 didn't blow any fuses or burn up any wires. :rolleyes:

Came back and looked at the thread again and jumped 3 to 4 and I now have driving lights with parking lights, low beams, and high beams. Why Ford didn't allow this from the factory is beyond me. In Alaska we have to watch for moose at night and I always drove with my dims on because I lost the driving lights with my brights. Now I can use my brights!

Thanks to all the members who presented this easy improvement! :thumbsup:

It's great

to see this thread is still in use. I did this mod over five years ago and it makes spotting the deer on the shoulder of the road at night much easier. My original jumper is still in place and hasn't caused any problems.

Hey all,

Great Mod here! Anyone ever tried to do this on a Ranger? I have a 2001 Ranger 4x4 with factory fog lights, would be nice to have this mod.

Thanks for any info.

Got it done!

Thanks, relay box is on driver's side by P/B booster. It is the white relay closest to the fender. There are 5 prongs, in 2 groups 1st group is 2 prongs and Second group is 3 prongs all in a row. Bend the inside most prong of the 3 in a row prongs over and along the side of the relay(make sense?). Was easy, I just bent the prong back and flat to fit in and voila! Fog lites with Highbeams!

Great mod!

I also added today, Sylvania Silverstars to Headlites and Fog lites.
What a difference!!! :cool:

I almost always run my lites on daytime for safety. Dunno if they wear out, but my new ones are a LOT brighter!(40-50% I'm guessing) I also adjusted the low beams up slightly.

Amazing difference! :cool:

Thanks all for your great posts!

Has anyone done this mod to 2001 Sport? My relay panel looks just like axiom's does. Any help would be helpful. Thanks! There's a pic of it on post #83.

on my 2000 ex the foglight relay isn't even there... what should i do?

Concerning some Sports and SportTracs (and maybe others I don't know about), I just performed this mod to my '01 SportTrac, like some of you I found only 1 relay in the relay box located near the intake system. No its not a magic relay that controls all headlight functions.

If you found only 1 relay in your relay box here may be your solution.

Find your external fuse compartment (under the hood):
PICT1139-1.jpg

There are 2 sets of small relays fallowed by a large relay fallowed by another set of small relays. (I have my jumper in the third set):
PICT1154.jpg

The relay on the inside (seen here on the left) of the truck is the Fog Lamp Relay, the one on the outside (seen here on the right) of the truck is the Fog Lamp Isolation Relay (where I have my jumper). The slots to jump are the same as the original post.
PICT1170-2.jpg

And booyah, the fog lamps stay on with both low beams and high beams. Hope this helps. :)

JNITROFISH, thanks.
I'm sure this info will help lots of people.:thumbsup:

so can i just cut off one the pins then with this new way of doing it jnitrofish? instead of jumping

Yes, you can still cut off a pin on the relay too, I personally just prefer jumping it so I can restore it to stock if the law dogs or my state inspection fella give me trouble for having it like that (both highly unlikely). Or if I decide to sell it I can return it to stock.

For easy reference:

Yes, you can use the relay that is in your relay box but I always like to be able to put things back to the stock configuration. To modify your relay, look at the three small terminals on one end.
__
__

l l l

You can cut either one of the two outside terminals to disconnect the circuit. Hope this helps.

Alright, I'll pop that off and take a look. Thanks celly.

Update: Just went out there and took a look, what I found baffled me. Instead of taking a shot at it and screwing up, I decided to take a few pics and double check. Here's what I've got going on (pictures taken while standing at the front end looking down and yes, in the first one the relay isn't fully on):

DSCF4215.jpg

DSCF4214.jpg

DSCF4213.jpg

Is that relay even capable of controlling the fog lights or is that for something else? I don't really know.

my relay looks like this one. but its on the drivers side with all the fuses. do you know which pin to cut?

for a 2000 explorer? is there a way that you can take a picture of the fuse box and post it here to make sure we are looking at the same thing? You can also check in your owners manual to find a diagram of what the different replays in your fuse box do to make sure you have the right one. Its just that relay doesn't look right to me.

Back