Front Dana 60 ??? Please help, wheel sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Dana 60 ??? Please help, wheel sizes

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
I have been cosidering putting Dana 60 under my explorer, but have 2 things that are playing big factor, 1st is i would want to stay 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, I have heard that can be done, then does anyone know if you can run 15in wheels?? without brakes rubbing??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some Dana 60 reading... http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

I have heard you can run 15" wheels with the 60, but you have to grind the crap out of the disk caliper for it to fit.
Fount it: http://www.coloradok5.com/d60calipergrind.shtml

pic4.jpg

what size tire are you planning on running? Coming from a guy who's had a 44 and 60 sitting side by side (that I had to move off a trailer) the 60 is a monster and would sacrifice inches of clearance.

Are you breaking shafts on your 44?

I have some new 37-13-15 Bogger on my 15x10 wheels, and just broke chromo shafts on driverside and i didnt think i was being that hard on it, gonna give it some more testing

I will give it some more time, to see if it was a fluke or??? Not sure wanna waste time on dana 60 for the explorer anyway.

well, thats a lot of tire for a 44 but chromo shafts should help. When I set up my 44 I used chromo shafts and ox joints due to the fact that a guy at the shop was running that same setup in a CJ5 with a built small block and did a lot of crawling without breaking.

Where did the chromo shaft break?

Running 15s on a 60 is not much different than running 15s on the 8 lug D44s. The caliper must be grinded down but its actually not that much. Of course this depends on the wheel specs but I set up my old jeep D44 with chevy 8-lug outters (and calipers) and 15" wheels on 2.5-ish backspacing. And I'll have these old wheels available like in the early spring time frame. I have 4 of them now, Spas has my spare but I can get that from her.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope it was just a fluke, both inner and outer shafts at u joint are demmalished, outer all that was left is shaft not even portion for the u-joint, the inner shaft broke at the outter area for u-joint, I was pretty sure ujoints were in good shape. I think what may have happened which seams kinda crazy but i was stuck on huge rock, yet loose gravel was all around also, and water was flowing pretty good, I think loose gravel rode up the tread on the boggers and then fell down front side and water pressure washed gravel debris back into joint area and it went crunch crunch? I wasnt driving it that hard or cutting wheels very much, but didnt notice until after getting unstuck that it was broke, so next set of chromos are in now with cant remeber name of joints, gold in color like $270 pair?? anyway, gonna try it out again this weekend and next on farm, and see how it holds up.

I believe they are Yukon Super Ujoints-they were allready installed in this set of axle shafts that came with truck i had bought

I hope it was just a fluke, both inner and outer shafts at u joint are demmalished, outer all that was left is shaft not even portion for the u-joint, the inner shaft broke at the outter area for u-joint, I was pretty sure ujoints were in good shape. I think what may have happened which seams kinda crazy but i was stuck on huge rock, yet loose gravel was all around also, and water was flowing pretty good, I think loose gravel rode up the tread on the boggers and then fell down front side and water pressure washed gravel debris back into joint area and it went crunch crunch? I wasnt driving it that hard or cutting wheels very much, but didnt notice until after getting unstuck that it was broke, so next set of chromos are in now with cant remeber name of joints, gold in color like $270 pair?? anyway, gonna try it out again this weekend and next on farm, and see how it holds up.

If they are Yukon shafts, it was probably not a fluke.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people breaking those things (many of them commenting they were no better than stock shafts). I will say I don't have personal experience with them though (and probably never will... I'd spend the $$$ on Superior or Ten-Factory shafts instead).

IMO, I'd bite the bullet and go D60. If clearance is an issue, you can always shave the housing to get the same (if not more) clearance than the D44.

No one I have now are Yukons, one that broke was spicer. I didnt buy any of these shafts came with vehs, im not gonna complain better than stock, i think i will fix my problem by running 33s again, never had issues, beating it up all the time and save my 37s for dana 60 build on something elese another day

Back