Front Hitch Construction | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Hitch Construction

Update:

It rained all day today, I got bored and made a splash shield for the bottom of my radiator. When I installed the hitch, the plastic piece under the radiator had to go, leaving the radiator vulnerable.

I put a piece of 1/4" x 2 angle iron across the back corner of the hitch to help protect the radiator and give me somewhere to mount the shield to. I used the same metal to put tabs on the front. I drilled holes in the metal, then welded nuts to the back side so the shield bolts on easily.

Pictures!

spash_shield_005_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_006_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_001_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_002_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_012_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_013_Medium_.jpg

spash_shield_008_Medium_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very good Evan.
Man, to have access to the tools would be nice!

All I used was an arc welder, drill and jig saw. I made the bend in the metal on the end of a table. I'm proud to say this mod only cost me $2 for a jig saw blade.

You can access what I have to use any time, its just a long drive. :)

EDIT: Oh and a Chop Saw and angle grinder. I guess I did use some tools today, I kind of take that stuff for granted I guess.

I Believe it is 3 3/4"- It's an ebay special, but is very strong.

ok How does one measure a d-ring then? Top to bottom, side to side?? Or just the opening?

Thanks Charlie

ok How does one measure a d-ring then? Top to bottom, side to side?? Or just the opening?

Thanks Charlie

I am not sure how it is measured- it is cast into the ring, that is the only way I know. I just checked and it says 4 3/4 on it.

I like your mod and it came out very nice. The only part that worries me is the pic below.. I would have plumbed the tranny lines behind the hitch. If the hitch should fail then it could destroy your transmission lines and leave you stranded.
work_051_Small_.jpg

Thanks Charlie

It all depends on what your trying to measure... Size, or Strength.. The shackle diameter and center pin are the main determining factors in terms of strength.. Common sizes shackle diameters are 3/4" and 7/8" and I've listed the avg capacities of steel shackles below:

Diameter 3/4" pin size=7/8" working capacity=10,000 lbs, Breaking strength=48,000lbs
Diameter 7/8" pin size=1" working capacity=13,000 lbs, Breaking strenght=65,000lb

I can move them behind the hitch no problem- will do that next time I get a chance. I appreciate your input on that.

I got to try it out today- took a couple of hard tugs with no problem.

I'm sure the hitch will hold up fine.. But moving them behind the hitch provides maximum safety... As an additional benefit the hitch will also protect the lines if you get into a front collision. :thumbsup:

It all depends on what your trying to measure... Size, or Strength.. The shackle diameter and center pin are the main determining factors in terms of strength.. Common sizes shackle diameters are 3/4" and 7/8" and I've listed the avg capacities of steel shackles below:

Diameter 3/4" pin size=7/8" working capacity=10,000 lbs, Breaking strength=48,000lbs
Diameter 7/8" pin size=1" working capacity=13,000 lbs, Breaking strenght=65,000lb

Ok thanks Roch.

Red Paint A Must Ha Ha

^^^^ X2 on the red paint!!!!!!:):):):)

Red paint yes... Im painting mine tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is very old thread but I was searching for front hitch install and came across your thread. I have a rear receiver hitch off of an F-150 that I want to modify to go on the front of my '97 MM. I noticed in your picture "Closer shot" that the condenser fins are visible. That gave me the idea of capping the back side of the receiver tube with a square piece of 1/4" plate to prevent any uh ohs when plugging in various attachments. I know the best time to do this would be during the mod/fab stage of things. just my 2 cents worth.
Very good write up and even being a post from '06 is still very useful today as many people are using and modding Gen 2s.

Back