• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter wont come off?

catdaddy614

Reaction score
City, State
columbus, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 97 Ex and im replacing the fuel filter, I took both retainer clips off the filter, and tried to yank and yank, but the hose wont come off. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a special tool to take it off. You can get them from any parts store for under $10.

what does the tool look like? I dont understand the tool thingy? I thought it just pops off.

Do a search here on "fuel line tool"...tons of info/pix.

Most stuff like this has been covered on the forum numerous times. The search button is your friend...:)

They look like scissors w/ half a "tube" on each side. When closed around fuel line it forms a complete "tube" and slides into the fitting to release some springs.

It can be used for some a/c lines as well.

ok I got it off, I kept trying after an hour, the one side was easy because I could get enough leverage to reach the tool and my hands to free it loose. Now the part that was facing the engine was another story LOL. I pulled and pulled, and then I said forget it i'll take some needle nose pliers to hold the fuel line tool. I put the tool on the line and aligned it, used the pliers to push it as I got enough room to pull it off the line came off the filter. WOOT!! I finally got it. I just wanted to thank everyone for the info. Thanks!

they can be a pita, like a chinese finger puzzle
pliers can help press the fuel line tool into the fitting, I use my robo grips for this alot

If the fuel line tools are not working quickly you can try using the cap from a sharpie marker
Cut the tip off, slit it long wise and you may find it works instantly

Back