Fuel Pressure- Low key off, okay at idle | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pressure- Low key off, okay at idle

I have an idea, I'll bring the truck to CO and fix it for ya now that it has been all refreshed! LOL

Lines go out today, I'll try to get them to you before sat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, that's OK. I have already bought new ones from Ford. Sounds like we'll get to work on your fuel lines, as well!

Update

well, it's totally normal that I start a project in August and don't finish it until end of February.

I cut an access panel underneath my rear seat like Burns suggested. I installed a new fuel pump, well not totally new, but it was installed in my '94 for about 2 months before that truck got parted out. It has since sat for 3 years.

With that being said, the truck fired right up, where the old fuel pump took a few cycles of the key and the new fuel pump is not making any noise. BUT my fuel pressure gauge is still sitting at 30 lbs. :thumbdwn:

To refresh your memory of what has been done

1) new fuel filter
2) replaced fuel pressure regulator with one from 410Fortune
3) replaced fuel pump

Still 30 lbs, still running with a little lack of power. I did some test running on the roads around my place but not off road. Still a bit sluggish. Any suggestions? I'm thinking injectors??? Also probably going to check compression, not that this has anything to do with fuel pressure but I'm wanting something faster... a V8 may be the only solution.

Id say injectors, you've changed everything else. Just put a v8 and be done with it!

I agree, although my fuel pump sat for 3 years, it is testing good...and identical to the old fuel pump tests with the exception of hard starting. Now I'm searching for how-to change injectors.

I would be interested in V8 if I could have it done in a week. It took me 6 months to change a fuel pump, how long do you think I would take to complete a v8 swap? And from what I've been looking at (ala 410) there would need to be a pretty healthy 5.0 going under the hood to accomplish what I want.

I agree, although my fuel pump sat for 3 years, it is testing good...and identical to the old fuel pump tests with the exception of hard starting. Now I'm searching for how-to change injectors.

I would be interested in V8 if I could have it done in a week. It took me 6 months to change a fuel pump, how long do you think I would take to complete a v8 swap? And from what I've been looking at (ala 410) there would need to be a pretty healthy 5.0 going under the hood to accomplish what I want.

How about a 281-4V swap?
2052265_23_full.jpg

How about a 281-4V swap?

I don't even know what that means. You gotta remember, I've been 4 wheelin for like 10 years, but I'll throw it on the backburner when a project looks too big, go to the lake and wakeboard and drink beers for a couple years then come back to this. I see all these race trucks running a 4.0 and would prefer mine to be good, but if a motor swap is the ONLY solution then I need to consider a few things. One being the size of engagement ring my woman gets.:D

Leaking injector?

Got your doner here! Say when! :)

Threw another fuel pump at this, pressure holds a bit better at shut off, gauge dances pretty responsively at throttle response, but it does drizzle down when you shut off, down to 25 in about a minute and slowly creeps down.

I ran my scan guage and pulled no codes, did this fuel pressure regulator test http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/fuelpr.html and found my FPR not to be bad (but then again, this test states to pull the vacuum and see if there is fuel in the line, however the author did not experience that symptom).

Test run to follow to see if it's any better at all.

sounds normal! I am hoping you fixed your issue

question i have 97 ranger i have been all over my fuel system except for removing my fuel pump. i can hard wire the pump and still only get 10 psi max. the truck barley starts then dies but when it does i get about 15 psi. i am baffeled. i guess i will remove the tank and take out the pump next. but would sure like to know if that is really my problem already spent the 80 for the new fpr up front.

does any one have any suggestions.
one other potential problem i found that the fuse that my owners manual says is a abs has no power. should it????????

i have tried to check my voltage at the fuel pump but i am having no luck at the connector, not sure if i am just not hitting the right lead or if the truck has to be on to and check while the moter would usually be primming. but either way if i hard wire the pump runs but i only get about 10 psi.. my fore head is now bruised from banging it against a wall all day.

help please

Thanks for lists of tests

THANKS FOR LISTS OF TESTS ON FUEL PRESSURE,HOW DO I TEST THE INJECTERS THOUGH? IF I PLACE A SCREW DRIVER ON THEM YOU CAN FEEL THAT THEY ARE WORKING,HOW CAN I TELL IF THEY ARE LEAKING:salute::exp:

how has your fuel problem been sorted now? iv got reduced power between 4560 to 6250 rpms after a dyno run diagnosed this problem

...Bringing up an informative thread as I've now been bitten with this problem of hard starting first thing in the a.m but evening starts have been fine...:(

..It is looking to be the fuel pump...Primes to 42# with the relay energized...Stays at 40# with the key on and for 15 minutes after key is off...Started the X and it's running at almost 30# and graduates with a rev...But on the last good rev I caught it faltering...

..2 days before out of nowhere the gas gauge climbed up to half a tank when I knew I had an 1/8 tank but it returned to normal as fast as it climbed to half...The next day it did the same thing but stayed at half till I got 20 bucks of gas and it's been reading proper since...:dunno:

Back