• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump staying on

Epalm18

Reaction score
City, State
Eureka, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Ford Explorer
Recently posted my 91 explorer intermittently dying on side of road with occasional high idle before dying. Codes 87 and 95. I’ve replace nearly every sensor or part. Now I notice sometimes I turn the key on and the pump won’t turn on, then it cranks excessively until it fires. Today I turned key to on position and the pump stayed on for about 5 minutes before the relay clicked and the pump went off. Wiring issue? Any advice helps. Thanks

Check fuel pressure. Have you changed your fuel filter?

My guess is that this a faulty fuel pump. These fuel pumps often seem to follow a slow, intermittent path to complete failure.

Change fuel pump and filter. Avoid cheap fuel pumps. Use Bosch fuel pump if you can.

Good luck.

Connections on the underside of the relay box under the hood can become corroded as well.

Check fuel pressure. Have you changed your fuel filter?

My guess is that this a faulty fuel pump. These fuel pumps often seem to follow a slow, intermittent path to complete failure.

Change fuel pump and filter. Avoid cheap fuel pumps. Use Bosch fuel pump if you can.

Good luck.
I changed fuel filter and installed Bosch pump yes. Just the pump. Not the complete sending unit. But yes. All new. And relay.

Back