Gearing? Open/LS/Locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AlexSport'00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
GONE: 2000 Explorer Sport
Ok, so first of all, I did use search, and I used it a lot. It was tons of info, and I think I've read all I can absorb for the moment, however this has caused me to ask even more questions, so any and all help would be great! :)

First, I have 2wd with open 3.55 and stock tires. Original plan was just go to 4.56 for when I move up to 33's. But that was before I did much research at all.

So, about my driving style and stuff, to help you guys answer the questions better. I mainly drive on the road, about 50/50 city highway, and I like my turning radius and don't want to make it much smaller. I'm not worried about hurting the gas mileage too much on the highway since it's already somewhat decent, but it is horrible in the city so if I can increase that then awesome. I do do the occasional offroad trek onto some trails/paths/random places with dirt/shallow mud, but after this mod I may end up going offroad even more, and would like to have that option. I want to go up to 32s/33s, maybe 35s in the far away future, but never bigger than that.

I'm trying to find out which gearing and differential set up you all would recommend. I'm considering 4.10s and 4.56s, possibly getting a new axle with the gears already in it since I've never regeared anything, possibly getting a LS axle, and also considering lockers. I don't want to spend a fortune, but a few hundred is definitely do-able. $400 would be the max I would spend on this (not including tires, of course), however I would love to keep it as low as possible while still getting a good set up.

I hope you guys can help me, and that anyone else who comes along with a similar questions can have them answered too.

-Alex :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its oxford makes a limited slip/mechanical locker. Good onroad and offroad. Probably more cash than you wanna spend though

Oxofrd...? I can't find it :( Link?

EDIT: lol we posted at like the same time...

And I guess you have to instal it in a limited slip to get the limited slip? I'm not sure, might be the wrong locker. Army buddy told me about one he bought for his Heep, I'd message him but he can't get on facebook right now.

Well...that's depressingly expensive... :(
Thanks though, that thing seems good...just a little too good for my poor wallet.

Yeah, I'll get one some day. Probably after I graduate and get a full time engineering job :D for now, I'll stick with my crappy limited slip. Honestly though, don't bother with an open or locked diff. Open diffs suck, way to easy to spin and they don't let ya have fun. Kinda hard to power drift when only 1 tire will break loose. I will never understand the point of an open diff, my mom's civic can hardly pull onto the highway near our house when the road is wet. Real steep hill, with a frame twister (yeah, this is a road)

That doesn't sound like fun...dang it must suck for her.

Honestly though, don't bother with an open or locked diff.

However, this statement confused me as it seemed to go against what you had just said...you wouldn't recommend me doing a locker?

I wouldn't recommend a locker that is either locked 24/7 or can only be locked or open. A limited slip isn't exactly a locker, much more street drivable then a real locker. Kicks in when you weren't expecting to spin, of course there are automatic lockers but from what I understand they "rachet" and since their more aggressive expect more tire wear.

And it aint just my mom, hahaha EVERYONE around here has to take off from that hill every once in a while. Unless you take a 3 mile detour (which most people do in the rain) my girlfriend has a maxima, it doesn't take that hill any better than my mom's car. I spend more time in my mom's civic so I like to use that as my car example :D the civic isn't fun either, 80ish horsepower at the wheels. The maxima has a big ole v6 :)

Hmm. Alright. Well, I'll think about it. I'm not a big fan of leaving it open like this though... Anyone else have an opinion?

I have an Aussie locker which is automatic meaning when you are on the gas it is locked and when you let off the gas it unlocks. This can be tricky in turns and in poor weather conditions. If I was going to do it over I would definitely do a limited slip or a locker I can control. Only problem with these would be the cost! If you are planning on doing the gears and locker, you will need to save up some more cash because to do both you will probably be somewhere around 800-1000 bucks with labor. As for the gears, I run 4:10's in mine with 32" tires and does ok on the highway and great off road. I hope this helps!

I have an Aussie locker in mine, and i love it. Not at all to hard to deal with once you get used to the way they work. You are looking at $400 right there, though, and that doesn't get you the re-gearing you'll want it you're considering moving all the way up to 35s.

(you'll also need to shell out for a lift to clear those monsters as well, you know)

My suggestion would be to scour the junkyards and the listings here and see if you can find a good rear that's LS and already geared up to 4.10. That's not nearly as good as a locker off road, and not quite the gearing you'll want for 33s and bigger, but you can probably pull it off for a few hundred bucks and a little driveway sweat. Then, down the road, you can just as easily re-gear and add a locker into the 3.73 open diff you're pulling out (much easier to do when it's not on the truck), and swap that in and ride away happy.

Either way, best of luck.

:exp:
John

Thanks to both of you! I had realized that $400 wouldn't be nearly enough money to do this, even if I did all the installation myself. Getting the new axle sounds like a really good idea... I'll look for some of those around, and hopefully I can find one for not too much money. If the 4.10s work well offroad and on, it'll be a good first step for me, so I'll end up being happy. Not sure which locker I'll save for, cause the aussie is definitely the cheapest that I can find, but some of the other ones seem sweet too, and if it ends up being a while before I get those items I might end up getting a higher end one. Any brand you two would suggest? I've seen so many on other threads. I think there is a Powertrax No Slip one that looks nice...if I remember correctly.

Thanks
Alex

Back