GEM, Fuse, or something else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GEM, Fuse, or something else?

MurderedOutLTD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer Limited
First so bio data. 2003 Completely stock Explorer Limited.

So here's the newest problem. One day, about a month ago, I go to get out of my truck and remove the key and notice that the radio was still on. Immediately I was slightly puzzled as I exited the vehicle still hearing the radio being on. Figuring that maybe it didn't recognize I removed the keys for some reason I start it back up, shut it down, and remove the keys. Still the radio is on. So I hit the knob and shut off the radio manually. I walk away from the truck shaking my head and go to hit the alarm. Problem #2 shows its ugly head. The locks wont shut off. Whether I use the keyswitch or the electronic lock on the inside of the door. Doesn't work. So the alarm doesnt set. However while the key is removed the windows are able to be rolled down. And oh yeah the "ding ding your lights are still on" warning doesnt go off either.

So once again heres the breakdown of what has ceased to or unwantingly continues to work
-Radio stays on after removing key
-Electronic interior locks dont work (w/ or w/o key)
-Alarm doesnt arm
-Lights on warning sound doesn't warn
-Windows are able to be rolled down after removing key.

If left untouched the windows and radio will shut off (after approx 5 minutes).

So what kind of demon seed to I have in this thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any chance your "Door Ajar" light is on, on the dash? Sounds like what happened to me when I had a wire going to the driver's door grounding itself out (black wire inside the loom).

EDIT TO ADD:

I also had code B2425 (keyless entry out of synch) stored when that happened.

Any chance your "Door Ajar" light is on, on the dash? Sounds like what happened to me when I had a wire going to the driver's door grounding itself out (black wire inside the loom).

EDIT TO ADD:

I also had code B2425 (keyless entry out of synch) stored when that happened.

Nope... The light is off. However, prior to this I did have to wd-40 the door lock as the interior light wouldn't turn off.

sounds like a door switch to me. Next time you shut it off open the passenger side door. If everything shuts off you need a new driver's door switch.

First so bio data. 2003 Completely stock Explorer Limited.

So here's the newest problem. One day, about a month ago, I go to get out of my truck and remove the key and notice that the radio was still on. Immediately I was slightly puzzled as I exited the vehicle still hearing the radio being on. Figuring that maybe it didn't recognize I removed the keys for some reason I start it back up, shut it down, and remove the keys. Still the radio is on. So I hit the knob and shut off the radio manually. I walk away from the truck shaking my head and go to hit the alarm. Problem #2 shows its ugly head. The locks wont shut off. Whether I use the keyswitch or the electronic lock on the inside of the door. Doesn't work. So the alarm doesnt set. However while the key is removed the windows are able to be rolled down. And oh yeah the "ding ding your lights are still on" warning doesnt go off either.

So once again heres the breakdown of what has ceased to or unwantingly continues to work
-Radio stays on after removing key
-Electronic interior locks dont work (w/ or w/o key)
-Alarm doesnt arm
-Lights on warning sound doesn't warn
-Windows are able to be rolled down after removing key.

If left untouched the windows and radio will shut off (after approx 5 minutes).

So what kind of demon seed to I have in this thing?

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, etc.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found a broken wire and repaired it and all is back to normal!

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel and checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps out. Keep us posted! :biggthump

Back