Has anybody tried this on a 5.0 ex or mounty? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anybody tried this on a 5.0 ex or mounty?

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I was peruzing mustang stuff on Jegs website and I came across these babies!
249-VH032B.jpg

249VH050.jpg

The Jegs website says that the intake weighs 16# less than stock and produces 20 more ponies. It also says that the valve covers can be drilled to fit any breathers, lines etc that need to go in and are only 2.75# each which has to be way lighter than the stock metal ones. Plus, being plastic, they shouldn't hold heat like metal ones do.

So, has anybody used these on a 5.0 mounty or ex?

Do they mean it will make 20 more HP than a stock 5.0 (non GT40) intake? It might take some working getting the elbow/tb/throttle to bolt on to that.

Valve covers will probably work. :D

The explorer intake tubes are staggered, not in line.
If they make the staggered version, you will need a throttle body elbow, maybe the stock one will work. I just noticed Jeg's shows a sheet metal upper plennum, about the same size as the Comp polymer. It would eliminate the valve cover issues.
Also the BBk intake looks like it will clear tall valve covers.
In any event, you want to make sure you don't sacrifice low end. A lot of times more horsepower just means moving torque peak into higher rpms, while lower rpm torque goes down
Good luck, I want to know what you end up with

Thats a box style intake and will KILL your bottom end power and torque, exactly what you don't want in a 4000pound truck. Those things aren't that good even on the mustangs when you compare them to the new technology long runner intakes such as the Performer RPM and the Victor EFI. If you want a good intake that is lighter and will bolt right on your 5.0 Ex then go with the tubular GT40.

Back