• Register Today It's free!

head gaskets being replaced

garagedog369

Reaction score
City, State
egan south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer 4 wheel
I am replacing the head gaskets on my 94 sport, 4.0,. is there anything else you can suggest replacing or upgrading while I'm that far into it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drop a 302 in it that is a good upgrade

Our early Explorers were known for head cracks and the castings were upgraded several times and I'm not sure all the 94's got the final fix. Well worth it to have the heads checked even with an obvious failed gasket. Upgrading to the better/later intake gaskets and replacing the filters, o-rings and pintle caps on the injectors are good ideas.

how are the timing chains in older explorers. I've had 91 ,93 and 3 94's I've never had one fail. but thinking about it .Can a person get a better cam. I won't mind alittle more power, But really don't want to go too much mony and suggestions.

, ,

how are the timing chains in older explorers. I've had 91 ,93 and 3 94's I've never had one fail. but thinking about it .Can a person get a better cam. I won't mind alittle more power, But really don't want to go too much mony and suggestions.

, ,
I've never had one fail. I changed my first at around 120,000 miles and the difference was immediately apparent, particularly in the idle and smog test results. I replaced the motor @ 234,000 miles and now am sitting at 312,000. They don't seem to get noisy, but do get some slop which shows itself in NVH and idle.

While your are there, replace the timing tensioner and guide. Assume the heads are being checked and shaved. Biggest bit of advice, actually two things, 1. use the lower intake gasket from a 1997 4.0, 2. Use bottoming taps to chase every bolt hole you can. Especially the head bolt holes.

Back