• Register Today It's free!

Header question for 5.0

2ndGen

Reaction score
City, State
Alexander,Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer XLT
I've generally only mostly lurked the forums reading and screenshotting ideas but I hear some people say that obx and torque monsters headers are your only choice but what about the Patriot header for the 5.0, I have a 1998 ford explorer xlt and i find it odd you can find the v6 headers easily but not for the v8. I'm just wondering if anyone bougot the Patriot headers and like them and are they good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OBX or torque monsters are the only ones that will fit. Some guy here had some ford racing headers made for the explorer 5.0 but im sure he sold those.

Until they make more OBX headers you are basically out of luck. The OBX's went for $399 on ebay last time if I remember correctly. So you should expect to pay that bare minimum for any explorer headers.

$399 + whatever the shop charges (prob at least $300-500). They are a royal pain in the ass to install.

Well I have no issues installing things myself I was just wondering if the Patriot ones would work the website I saw said they would fit the 98 ex 5.0 and they look kinda like the same design as the torque and obx's why I came to ask if anyone else had got them and tried em. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Patriot/Headers/P1RH8427.html

Well I have no issues installing things myself I was just wondering if the Patriot ones would work the website I saw said they would fit the 98 ex 5.0 and they look kinda like the same design as the torque and obx's why I came to ask if anyone else had got them and tried em. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Patriot/Headers/P1RH8427.html

Those look nothing like the OBX clones/ torque monsters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Manifold-FITS-97-98-99-00-01-Explorer-Mountaineer-5-0L-V8-/121741666397?fits=Year:1998|Make:Ford|Model:Explorer|Submodel:XLT|Engine+-+Liter_Display:5.0L&rmvSB=true&hash=it&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=OAQz3oZhljVlPMLiHzzvaOpfgNk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Im almost 100% certain that website only checks fitment based on engine type. The website says "oh you have a Windsor 5.0 V8! these will fit!" but I dont think the people that coded it knew about the explorers unique header setup. As I understand it, there is no room for "normal" headers due to the cramped engine bay.

I have the OBX headers in my '98 but it cost me some $900 total ($400 for headers, $500 for install) to get them in, my shop struggled. It is not a job for a backyard mechanic, especially if you have rusted header bolts.

I gained some torque and a few MPG. Not really worth it looking back. Too me, it would be worth it if you were going full out building up the engine to make 400+ HP or something like that but for a daily driver the cost is just really prohibitive.

Of course you'd obviously replace the spark plugs and spark plug wires while you were doing all this, plus you'd need to find someone that can tune it to get maximum benefit from the headers.

I would agree not worth it looking back. Took me like 12 hours to install since had to go back and fix crappy stuff it came with.

Well this vehicle is not my primary vehicle I drive it for fun and I drive it more than my other one but soon I plan on doing a lot to the vehicle just wish obx or torquemonsterheaders weren't so hard to find

Yeah, those patriot headers are not going to fit at all. Take a real good look at your stock manifolds, note where the collector is on each side. while you are there, note where the shock tower and motor mounts are.

Now go back and take a look at those patriot headers in the above link.

OBX, Torquemonster, Ford Motorsports, or make em yourself.

When I called Kooks, they said " we already looked at one and no way"

Yeah, those patriot headers are not going to fit at all. Take a real good look at your stock manifolds, note where the collector is on each side. while you are there, note where the shock tower and motor mounts are.

Now go back and take a look at those patriot headers in the above link.

OBX, Torquemonster, Ford Motorsports, or make em yourself.

When I called Kooks, they said " we already looked at one and no way"
I wish I knew how to make them myself, but I'll admit I have no experience welding and don't even own one and never touched one

even if you are making a high horse motor, obx, or TMH still are not all that great. they are too small (1 !/2 if i am not wrong). if your going to spend a grand on a set of headers, you will be better off going to a fab shop and getting them to make them. i know if or when the ones i have either crack or rust out, thats what my plan is

TG the 97's got factory headers....perfect fit, although not as high performance as other brands

Factory headers? You mean those garbage tubular manifolds?

Back