Help me with a decision on XM!

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
I want XM radio but I have a few options I'm weighing here. My current HU is a Sony, it's a few years old and obviously isn't XM ready.

Plan #1:

Get the Delphi Roady XM receiver ($120) + the antenna ($50)

PC.DPI.SA1003511P1.RT.JPG

OR

Plan #2:

Get a new Pioneer DEH-8500MP head unit that is already XM ready ($300-320 on eBay) along with the antenna ($50)

38309DEH-P8500MP_big.jpg

Obviously I would prefer a new HU because of the cool features and the fact that I have everything in one unit, but I dunno if I want to spend the money! I'm torn here guys, give me some advice on which one is more economical.

;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the HU I have, it's great! But besides the HU and antenna you also need the tuner which can be another $80-100.

2235imag0014.jpg

22354-console.jpg

22356-antenna.jpg

You need the HU, Antenna, and this:

EC.PIO.GEXP910XM.JPG

you can buy my sirius stuff that i never installed

Man, I need a tuner too? Damn, $450 is a lot of coin...

But look at it this way: I know you like a cool interior and the Pioneer setup would keep it much cleaner. And nothing beats the plate motoring open and shut when you turn the car on and off :D

Have a few more questions:

1. Do I need the tuner box with the Roady receiver?
2. How difficult is the installation?
3. Are the wiring harnesses for HUs universal? Mine has one big plug that goes into the HU, would that plug right in to the Pioneer HU?

For a new aftermarket HU you may need to splice a few wires, but it's no big deal.

I think the Roady includes the tuner.

Either way you'll need to take out your old HU. Either for RM modulation (I think that costs extra for the Roady) or the hew HU install.

As of this moment I am borrowing my buddies Roadie.
A complete moron can instal it.
All you need is any given FM radio and cigarette lighter.

I really like it. SO MANY CHOICES !!!

Taking out the HU is no problem, and I can spice some wires, no big deal.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to wait a little bit and see how things are. I'm going to talk to one of my distributors and see how low he can go on the Pioneer HU. :cool:

One more question: Does the programming on XM come in with CD quality, or close to CD quality? When I say that, I mean in terms of treble, bass, clarity, etc.

Actually is varries from station to station and obviously varies to the actual recording.
Any way, all in all it sounds fantastic.

I am 30-something so much of my time has been spent on channel 8 which is the 80's station.
Some really cool songs came out of the 80's and some pretty crummy recordings.
:)

The Pioneer setup will sound better than the Roady, but yes, it's CD quality transmission.

Hey alec..why would does the alpine sound better?

Hartman- wait until the new 2004 Alpine stuff hits the shelves. They will have a lineup of headunits with built in XM tuners. No more buying an XM "ready" HU then buying the 200$ tuner and the 50$ antenna. Since you are looking into upgrading Headunits anyways, might as well wait till these hit the market. Alpine is the first to do this, but im sure Pioneer will follow soon after. (if u have yer mind dead set on the Pioneer HU

A direct digital connection will always sound better than FM modulation.

Have you looked at the SkiFi unit?

I have it and it is connected to my HU with RCAs via Line Input.

The sound is as good as CD.

One more question: Does the programming on XM come in with CD quality, or close to CD quality? When I say that, I mean in terms of treble, bass, clarity, etc.

No
NO
NOOOOOOOO!

The satellite stream is at most 64Kbps. The algortithm is different than .mp3 so the compression is pretty good, but it is nowhere close to CD quality. Now it IS 10 times better than normal radio. You don't get the background hiss.

I have SIRIUS in my house, and my Pioneer 7500DVD has XM ready, but I have enough choices in my truck.
The SIRIUS at home sounds fine for parties and just jamming out in the living room.

XM is still great... alpine and pioneer make quality units, however the delphi has a display which shows way more information...

Note about XM... In Febuary, they're supposed to be going to 100% commercial free, and then in March adding dedicated up to date traffic channels for large metro areas... a nice upgrade... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'm biassed.. but I love my XM Commander!! It was easy to install and i got to keep my stock HU... The whole setup only cost $125

Back